For women only: Absorbent Underwear

slimjiminy

Diabetes, type-2
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I have to supply my aunt with dementia, who is in a home with "absorbent underwear".

In the past, I have given her TENA Proskin Extra (unisex) and Depend Silhouette. Another choice might be TENA Proskin Underwear for Women. I'd like to know what a woman's preference would be out of these or some other North American product.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2
I have liked Alwats discreets, they are pink with a little bow printed on the front. I have used those when I've been really sick and weak. They fit nicely (I have a curvy bottom) and do the job of being absorbent.

Thank you for asking this. I eagerly await the responses.

You can't go wrong with anything from north shore. The go supreme pullups are some of the best on the market.

I'd stay away from anything you can find in a retail location. Including the brands you mentioned. You'll just end up with leaks all day with retail brands.

Don't be afraid to step up based on how much absorbancy she needs. I'm a fully UI woman and even the north shore pullups won't last me more than 1-2 hours. North shore makes some of the best tape on diapers you can get too. My daily diapers are either the megamax or cloth. Both of which I only need 3-4 diaper changes per day.

Reactions: Diprs2, Ellyn and diaperdude
MsSara said:
You can't go wrong with anything from north shore. The go supreme pullups are some of the best on the market.

I'd stay away from anything you can find in a retail location. Including the brands you mentioned. You'll just end up with leaks all day with retail brands.

Don't be afraid to step up based on how much absorbancy she needs. I'm a fully UI woman and even the north shore pullups won't last me more than 1-2 hours. North shore makes some of the best tape on diapers you can get too. My daily diapers are either the megamax or cloth. Both of which I only need 3-4 diaper changes per day.
I totally agree with your suggestions. I rarely use a pull-up but when I recently did, they were under swimsuits while on vacation. I used Tena and quickly discovered that I’m definitely allergic to something in them and have a fairly low capacity. Since then, I tried Go Supreme pull-ups and they worked fine with capacity to spare. I’d recommend staying away from drugstore brands but would experiment with other quality online brands such as Abena pull-ups as example. I haven’t tried any other besides the NS brands however.

Reactions: Diprs2, diaperdude and MsSara
I
Ellyn said:
I totally agree with your suggestions. I rarely use a pull-up but when I recently did, they were under swimsuits while on vacation. I used Tena and quickly discovered that I’m definitely allergic to something in them and have a fairly low capacity. Since then, I tried Go Supreme pull-ups and they worked fine with capacity to spare. I’d recommend staying away from drugstore brands but would experiment with other quality online brands such as Abena pull-ups as example. I haven’t tried any other besides the NS brands however.
Once made the mistake of trying tena siloutte pullups under a swimsuit. They lasted all of 15 minutes 🤣.

The go supreme pullups are great for me under swimsuits.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Ellyn
MsSara said:
I

Once made the mistake of trying tena siloutte pullups under a swimsuit. They lasted all of 15 minutes 🤣.

The go supreme pullups are great for me under swimsuits.
Please don’t misunderstand me…. I wore the Tena under a swimsuit but had zero interest in getting anything above my knees wet, though I did get splashed. The issue with Tena was an allergic reaction to something in the material causing terrible itching. I tried an Always brand and of course ultimately the Go Supreme's. Tena is the only one that breaks me out.

Thanks for your comments. I'm fully in agreement about the problems with pull-ups in general.

In this case, we're dealing with someone with dementia and less than ideal staffing in the home for managing patient IC care. The pull-ups allow them to still easily use the toilet and yet have some level of protection if they can't find their way back to a toilet in time (a real problem with those that have memory loss). The NS Go Supreme is definitely absorbent but in my own experience found them uncomfortable to sit in for any length of time.

Part of the problem for me is that she is too embarrassed to talk about it. The home that she was in had provided her with Depend Silhouette. I suspect part of the reasoning was to just to get her to use it (she is/was diaperphobic).

So while she may end up in a brief down the road, right now I am trying to get her the best compromise in a pull-up.

Back