For those with a overactive bladder

cantwait

Life is full of surprises.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
For those with an overactive bladder, what is the average volume of your void? I’ve been trying to keep a bladder log and I was curious what the average volume of other peoples void is, and how often they are going. I find that I am going every 20-60 minutes with a volume between 4 and 12 ounces.

Does your timing and volume sound anything like this?

Reactions: Diprs2
Pretty close I suppose every 15-25 2-4 ounces gets painful at 10 to 20 minutes and once that happens I have maybe a minute before the urge is too strong and painful or it just.... happens.. best of luck🤙

Reactions: Diprs2, joemama and cantwait
Yes, my voids are heavy and often enough, that's why I wear tena maxi for day use, I go through minimum 3 to 4pcs from 8am till 8pm.

Reactions: Angelapinks, Diprs2, LittleEnigma and 1 other person
I feel the need every 30-60 minutes. Sometimes it is a "false alarm", and not even able to pee even if trying consciously. When I do leak, it can be anything between a few drops and a full bladder void. It is totally unpredictable.

Reactions: Diprs2, charliee and diaperdude
I honestly can't really tell that well. Mind tends to be on "RUN TO TOILET." Sometimes it's an almost false alarm, sometimes it's a full void.

Reactions: Diprs2, Angelapinks, charliee and 1 other person
For me it's unforeseeable; sometimes I'm dry up to 3 or 4 hours, sometimes I void 3 times in an hour - so I wear protection 24/7 to be prepared whatever my bladder decides to do...

Reactions: Angelapinks, charliee, Diprs2 and 2 others
Fortunately my bladder only has a capacity of around 80 ml so a flood is something I am not too concerned with until after three wees then I need to be mindful that I will be in need of a change fairly soon.
Going out for many hours requires a Tena Ultima Proskin Maxi Nappy to last me the day.

Reactions: Angelapinks and Diprs2
I'm diapered 24/7 I can destroy a thick ABDL diaper cable of holding 7000ml in around 6 hours. :giggle::giggle: I tend to change 3/4 times a day. I sometimes use pull ups when i go out during the day, but then i need to double up and change much more frequently, depending on how long i'm out for? I've never really measured it, but i know a supper soggy diaper is heavy! :giggle::giggle:(y)

Reactions: Angelapinks and Diprs2
Having a neurogenic bladder that also responds to my genetic disorder being triggered, the amount I void is all over the map. My bladder capacity is 2000mL, I self-cath several times a day to remove residual, and I am on a voiding schedule. I produce an excessive amount of urine because of my genetic disorder and meds for my disorder.

On a good day, meaning I'm dry between scheduled voids, I typically void between 650-900mL every 1.5 hours. (22-30 oz)
On a so-so day I spontaneously void between 50-200mL every 5-10 minutes. (1.7-6.75 oz)
On a bad day I dribble constantly, except when I am sitting (it stops the flow), and then flood when I shift position or stand up.
During the night I void between 900-3000mL, measured at home while on a prescribed foley catheter.

There are three things under consideration with a voiding diary:
Total voided over 24 hours - totals outside the norms could indicate a more serious medical condition
Time of void - determines frequency and variability as compared to life schedule (sleep, meals, etc.)
Amount per void - determines variability as compared to life schedule (sleep, meals, etc.)

A urologist can determine specific things regarding your bladder, but has no idea how much your lifestyle abuses it, i.e., drinking 10 cups of coffee a day. He does not know if you have developed an allergy or sensitivity to a food that you enjoy eating consistently. If they are good, the doctor should be looking at both your lifestyle as well as organic issues. The voiding diary is a start. Meanwhile, you may want to discuss with your doctor what things you should eliminate from your diet to determine if you have developed a sensitivity. Coffee, wine, gluten, chocolate, it doesn't matter, nobody would say it's not worth giving up chocolate so that they won't wet myself. Well, maybe some would! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: LittleEnigma and Diprs2
I too am all over the place. I'd guess on average maybe once every hour or so? But there's so much variability. I have no idea how much I void at any giving time other than "less than normal".

Question... how do you all measure your urine output per void? Is it based on urologic testing? Even though I wear diapers full time and it's not going to change anything, it would be interesting to know. I suppose I could weigh my diaper pre and post voiding and use a formula to deduce volume from the weight of the urine but that's a lot of work. Condom catheter? measuring cup? lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Diprs2 and LittleEnigma
enthusi said:
I too am all over the place. I'd guess on average maybe once every hour or so? But there's so much variability. I have no idea how much I void at any giving time other than "less than normal".

Question... how do you all measure your urine output per void? Is it based on urologic testing? Even though I wear diapers full time and it's not going to change anything, it would be interesting to know. I suppose I could weigh my diaper pre and post voiding and use a formula to deduce volume from the weight of the urine but that's a lot of work. Condom catheter? measuring cup? lol.
Urologists can determine your flow rate by doing flow testing. I've had these tests done several times. Its only an accurate reading on the day itself though, cause if you drink more one day you'll wet more etc.

my voids vary wildly, sometimes it is a slow dribble, about 4oz, others its a sudden, sorta sudden void with a small amount.
Other times, I did not even feel I wet.

enthusi said:
how do you all measure your urine output per void?
I have several male urinals I use when airing out and a larger medical measuring jug for when I self-catheter when retaining. All of them have mL notations on them.

Typically about 150-250ml every half hour to 45 minutes for me. If I'm extremely hydrated, it jumps up to about 300-400 every half hour or so

Reactions: Diprs2 and LittleEnigma
I’m in the “ piece of string “ category , I can either pee every 30 mins a lot or go a few hours and only do a medium pee
At night the same , Thursday night 2 wake pees in 7 hours , last night 1 sleeping pee till I got up 9 hours 🤷 and that was in cloth and I don’t usually sleep wet in cloth

Everyone is little Different , for myself I do try to say Hydrated ,drink 60 to 80 oz a day fluid intake.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Kellycares and LittleEnigma
swirrll said:
Typically about 150-250ml every half hour to 45 minutes for me. If I'm extremely hydrated, it jumps up to about 300-400 every half hour or so
It's really important to always stay hydrated, even if it results in increased wetting. 🤗 :) :)(y)

Reactions: Diprs2, Kellycares, swirrll and 1 other person
On a good day 300ml to 400ml (14oz), on bad days about 200-250ml (8oz).

Urodynamics said 240ml before Botox and 460ml after Botox, maximal capacity.

At home i measure it with a catheter and bag or with an urinal.

I do drink about 5000-6000ml a day, 200oz, average is 15,6 toilet visits at the moment, what is really good. (once/hour daytime)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dandelion and LittleEnigma
This gal does try to stay hydrated with 80 to 100 oz a day.
Not very good on your body if you dehydrated !!

Reactions: Diprs2, Kellycares, Dandelion and 1 other person
cantwait said:
For those with an overactive bladder, what is the average volume of your void? I’ve been trying to keep a bladder log and I was curious what the average volume of other peoples void is, and how often they are going. I find that I am going every 20-60 minutes with a volume between 4 and 12 ounces.

Does your timing and volume sound anything like this?
It varies a lot! There are days when it can be 250ml when it gets uncomfortable, or days where it can be 500, 600 or so. If I really push it, on a great day, I can go well over a liter.

I've noticed that as the day goes on, I have the largest volume in the early to mid afternoon which is also when my urine is the most diluted. In the morning I usually have smaller voids with similar urgency to the afternoon when I get a lot more output.

Reactions: Dandelion
Back