For incontinence, what has been your airport, air travel, and TSA experiences?

pugglesmuggles

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hello, new here- but I wanted to ask this question: what has been your airport, air travel, and TSA experiences?

For me, I fly periodically for work and am urinary incontinent. I wear diapers 24/7 for it. So I usually pack a few extra diapers and supplies in a carry-on backpack while I check a big bag with the rest of my diapers and clothing. Usually, TSA is not a problem. I do tell the agents that I am wearing a diaper for incontinence, and usually they just say "Ok." One time, an agent asked "Is it wet?" which I felt was a bit invasive, but I guess after reading other things about this issue, "liquids" in a diaper can trigger the scanners. Another time (and this was my only real issue), my diaper was wet going through security because of a long line. TSA pulled me aside and we had a short convo about the diaper and my incontinence, and then they let me go. No big deal.
On planes, I usually try for aisle seats if I can. I board early using the pre-boarding for medical reasons excuse. I do sometimes have people stare and wonder why a young and healthy-looking individual like me is pre-boarding, but hey, you're never gonna see these people again, right? Then, once I get on board, if it is a long flight and I think I may have to change during it, I will talk to a flight attendant and just say something like "Just FYI, I wear a diaper, and I may have to change during the flight, so that's why I'll have a bag in the bathroom." They usually really appreciate the upfrontness so there's no cause for alarm in these tense times. I learned to do this after one flight where I changed and a flight attendant sort of cornered me in the back and asked why I had a bag in the bathroom. I just explained "I had to change my adult diaper." But I guess the bag kind of freaked her out. And speaking of the bag... I keep a small drawstring bag in my carry on that I can stuff a diaper and wipes into for easy transport down the aisle of the plane. I'm relatively open about my incon, but I don't need to just carry a new diaper down the aisle like the moms do for their kids lol.
I'm sure my fellow passengers have caught sight of my diapers at some point, but in a lot of flights, nobody has ever said anything. Being stuffed in those seats like sardines, people are gonna notice stuff. Plus, I feel like everyone is just trying to "get through" the tortures of flying, so they don't really care what other passengers have going on.

But please share, what has been your experiences?

Reactions: sport1, newt and EcoIncon
I have had both of my knees replaced and light up the metal detectors. When going through security at airports with scanners I have always been cleared without any extra security measures. Airports that only have metal detectors I am always taken aside. I inform them about my knees, and they usually just run the wand over me, and I am allowed to continue.

Only one time have I had an embarrassing pat down where my diaper was partially exposed. The TSA agent did not make any comment and I was allowed to continue.

I do have a diaper in my carry-on just in case but so far, I have never needed to change in flight.

For the most part airports are business as usual. I don't change much from normal. I have a bad with a few extra diapers. I was brought aside once when there was a long line before security and wasn't able to hold it. They asked what it was, I told them a diaper, they did some swabs and I was on my way. Not great, but not terrible. It did lead me to immediately get TSA Precheck. Partly because no more of that scanner, but also because it makes lines so much easier.

My main problems are the times I need to change on the plane. The first time I brought my normal laptop bag, but people stared at me like I was going to cause problems or do something illegal in the bathroom. The flight attendant was hovering when I got out. So now I just put my diaper in a disposal bag and walk with it. Its less discrete but less people look when youre not carrying a bag into the bathroom, so it evens out.

Reactions: EcoIncon
I fly a lot and have posted on my experiences with TSA on other threads so I won't bore you with that.

One thing I not from @pugglesmuggles and @newt is a challenge taking a diaper bag to the lavatory so I'll share what I think is a good system... I have a bag that is obviously a "travel amenity kit" - I got mine from a first class international trip but you can buy them too. It barely holds a betterdry and a travel size bag of wipes but no one has ever even looked twice at me heading to the bathroom to freshen up. I just pull my change out of my backpack and take the amenity kit to the bathroom.

Only one ever epic fail... I was on a 14.5 hour flight and woke up to a wet diaper. In a very groggy state, I went to the lavatory to change... Unfortunately for me, I forgot to lock the door. The door opened a couple of minutes later with my back to it, my sweats around my waist, and my diaper half taped on... The person closed the door quickly and I never saw their face. So my obvious advice here.... Make sure to lock the door!

Reactions: newt and jaredc3
pugglesmuggles said:
Hello, new here- but I wanted to ask this question: what has been your airport, air travel, and TSA experiences?

For me, I fly periodically for work and am urinary incontinent. I wear diapers 24/7 for it. So I usually pack a few extra diapers and supplies in a carry-on backpack while I check a big bag with the rest of my diapers and clothing. Usually, TSA is not a problem. I do tell the agents that I am wearing a diaper for incontinence, and usually they just say "Ok." One time, an agent asked "Is it wet?" which I felt was a bit invasive, but I guess after reading other things about this issue, "liquids" in a diaper can trigger the scanners. Another time (and this was my only real issue), my diaper was wet going through security because of a long line. TSA pulled me aside and we had a short convo about the diaper and my incontinence, and then they let me go. No big deal.
On planes, I usually try for aisle seats if I can. I board early using the pre-boarding for medical reasons excuse. I do sometimes have people stare and wonder why a young and healthy-looking individual like me is pre-boarding, but hey, you're never gonna see these people again, right? Then, once I get on board, if it is a long flight and I think I may have to change during it, I will talk to a flight attendant and just say something like "Just FYI, I wear a diaper, and I may have to change during the flight, so that's why I'll have a bag in the bathroom." They usually really appreciate the upfrontness so there's no cause for alarm in these tense times. I learned to do this after one flight where I changed and a flight attendant sort of cornered me in the back and asked why I had a bag in the bathroom. I just explained "I had to change my adult diaper." But I guess the bag kind of freaked her out. And speaking of the bag... I keep a small drawstring bag in my carry on that I can stuff a diaper and wipes into for easy transport down the aisle of the plane. I'm relatively open about my incon, but I don't need to just carry a new diaper down the aisle like the moms do for their kids lol.
I'm sure my fellow passengers have caught sight of my diapers at some point, but in a lot of flights, nobody has ever said anything. Being stuffed in those seats like sardines, people are gonna notice stuff. Plus, I feel like everyone is just trying to "get through" the tortures of flying, so they don't really care what other passengers have going on.

But please share, what has been your experiences?
I have never been embarrassed they always have been very nice.

I'm not incontinent, but I have had experiences with the TSA while diapered. Most of the time it's been fine, but that's because most of the time I was dry. One time going through the scanners I was wet and my crotch lit up on the screen, and they asked me if I had anything on me, etc. I told them no, and if I needed to be patted down I'd like a private room. Got that, one agent patting me down, another one there as insurance I'm guessing, and I told them I was wearing a diaper and that was probably the cause. They gave me the pat down but avoided my crotch. They looked at each other and shrugged and let me go. It was kind of funny, but not the most pleasant thing ever.

I think I’ll need to look into your recommendation @EcoIncon ! I’m flying cross country next week so I might put it to the test on one of those flights

Reactions: EcoIncon
Back