Flying with diapers

cantwait

Life is full of surprises.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I was recently flying with diapers in my carry-on, bag and was flagged at TSA security. The agent that checked my bag was respectful, but they still pulled my diapers out in front of everybody at the security screening checkpoint. I recently got TSA pre-check and this has not been a problem. I highly recommend it for anybody who flies with diapers. This also allows you to go through the metal detector instead of the body scan so you do not have to worry about having a wet diaper on. Does anybody else have any experience with this?

Reactions: Lillogan18, Diprs2, IncontinentScholar and 3 others
I've flown with diapers several times and never had that experience. I used to put my diaper in my laptop bag and then put it on after I cleared security so that it wouldn't be visible in the body scanner, but after close to 4 years 24/7, I don't own any underwear anymore and I don't like going more than 30 minutes or so without a diaper on, as it gets uncomfortable. So, I swallowed hard, and wore a diaper through the body scanner a couple of times now. The first time, the lady who was operating it asked me to pull up my pants and go through it again, then asked an older guy who was supervising to look at the screen, and he told me to go through the metal detector instead, which of course I passed. The second time, in the UK, the operator didn't even blink, just said "You're good". The rest of the times, I got lucky and ended up being directed to a metal detector instead of a scanner.

On all of those occasions, I also had a diaper in my carry-on or laptop bag, and they've never been mentioned or inspected. I'd imagine they see them all the time. But I have mentally prepared myself for the time when I get asked over to secondary to confirm I don't have drugs or explosives tucked around myself, and I'll have to clear my throat and say "Uh, it's a diaper...", and hope that they take my word for it!

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Lillogan18, LukeTheDeersky and 2 others
Had them in my suitcase for my Baby girl. That what I recommend. I keep my Baby girl in training panties when she's out of diapers.

Reactions: DBabygirl2, Lillogan18, Diprs2 and 1 other person
Flying with diapers? Never tried that, is it like a hang gliding thing?

But seriously I’ve only flown two times since I having to be diapered 24/7 over 6 years ago and it wasn’t a problem. In fact, when watching people try to squeeze down the plane isle and into the lavatory I felt fortunate that I didn’t have to do that. My flight wasn’t that long and only had one transfer/layover where I took advantage of a land based restroom facility to change. When I did fly I switched from my usual cloth contours or prefolds to Abena M-4s, with a pair of plastic pants for a safeguard, as dealing with used cloth diapers in that situation wasn’t practical. I carried my supplies and spares in a Lands End backpack that I have just for this purpose.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AttilaThePun, Diprs2, SherriLil and 3 others
So the best 2 options for main bulk of diapers needed in the USA most commercial airlines and think it's under the ACA but your allowed to have a bag with medical supplies that flys free, I have never had an issue but just know like other bags it's not pressurized and just use caution what you pack but won't effect diapers but like any luggage it can be lost. The second option and one I actually have used more frequently but have had minor issues as well but if your staying at a hotel or even better if you know someone in area but I either order diapers and have them shipped or ship mine. If staying at a hotel call and advise them that your having something delivered prior to your arrival and if it can be held at the desk(depending what you use this is where you shipping even with cost might be better like Abena comes in a flimsy marked box so you can ship is plain box that's better, I assume they use cheap boxes to save on shipping) I only had it happen once where they opened the box and once they put in wrong room but fortunately they knew and we're able to retrieve it before it was opened.

I do carry all my meds and 2 days of diapers & spare clothes in carry on!

As for TSA or any Security Checkpoint (because if your Incont you may come across security more frequently) If you fly alot tsa pre-check is and isn't worth it for me it really isn't even as a federal employee being paralyzed the screening didn't seem different (so instead of paying for pre-check I use a different program but it requires certain things and not open to everyone) but no matter if it's TSA or Rentacop at the Concert/Sports Area if you have diapers or anything medical related you have the RIGHT to ask for them to exam younor your bags in private or in a area not in view of the public. TSA has few area right close to screening where it's not totally in public where I have had my bag emptied on a counter that had high sides so no one could see anything & they have probably seen more diapers than you can think of things that may get flagged is like diaper rash ointment if bigger than 4oz being a medical need your allowed to have bigger ones but it's something you should declare so like I simple say I have a jar of a medical ointment in my bag,"Also for your safety" I also have few meds that require syringes they are capped and in a separate container(though not required because they show up on x-ray for their safety I like to mention it and make sure I mention for your safety, you might not do it but many don't carry needles correctly and safely and when they suspect it some are on edge for good reason getting accidentally stuck sux) I have asked for them to search my bag in private at Tsa, Disney, every concert and sporting events(been to some their policy which I personally felt was stupid but they can't search medical bags or ones with medical supplies why I feel it stupid is thats a security risk if you know they don't search them) but I haven't had one rentacop,tsa, security, cop not a one act unprofessional or say anything think Disney was best minute I asked for private area pulled off to side nothing was pulled out and honestly they lifted first few diapers and was like your good but I was at a concert and it was actually funny I had a small knife I used to carry they didn't see it but they flipped out because they found a can of dip which I forgot about most sports and concerts are tobacco free.

That would be last tip if the bag your flying with and good thing to do with a everyday carry diaper bag it before flying fully empty it you might be surprised mine has potential for stuff to get lost but even if not flying every few months I usually empty my bag and re-organize it because it's like gloves usually when low or get some I jam in same spot last time found half tube of desitin. I maybe different as I hava mobility disability so my diaper bag isn't just for diapers it also has spares part for my chair or spare meds(also good to check expiration dates)

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
Flying with diapers? Must have been pretty big diapers to pull that off XD

Reactions: Diprs2, Stacy and Edgewater
So every time I've been on an airplane I've regretted not having a diaper on couse I think I really hate the feeling of having to pee! Sitting there in the plane having to pee and can't move is terrible.

Reactions: DLPeakOut, Fleetwoodmac32192, Diprs2 and 3 others
Flying today to Boston. Had a diaper in my computer bag and changed after security. It’s a Rearz Rebels. I have always secretly hoped someone would hear me changing in the restroom and connect when I left the stall, but no one ever seems to notice.

Reactions: DLPeakOut, Diprs2 and Edgewater
cantwait said:
I was recently flying with diapers in my carry-on, bag and was flagged at TSA security. The agent that checked my bag was respectful, but they still pulled my diapers out in front of everybody at the security screening checkpoint. I recently got TSA pre-check and this has not been a problem. I highly recommend it for anybody who flies with diapers. This also allows you to go through the metal detector instead of the body scan so you do not have to worry about having a wet diaper on. Does anybody else have any experience with this?
I've never had that done always fly with them .

sport1 said:
I've never had that done always fly with them .
Yeah, that was pretty crazy. Now I got TSA pre-check. This has been helpful because you don’t have to go through the body scanners.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, sport1 and 1 other person
In over 3,000,000 flight miles wearing a diaper, I've pretty much had it all done to me. Here are some highlights (or lowlights in some cases)
  • In Israel where they take their security especially seriously, the test they do for nitrates came back positive on my laptop for some reason I'll never know. I was told to take off all my clothes and pull-up and had a cavity search. Private room thankfully :) . My laptop never worked again after they took it apart. I was able to put my diaper back on thanks to 2nd chance tapes.
  • I've had the contents of my carry-on dumped on more scanning station counters than I could count. Often it's because of a full pack of wipes that evidently look like liquids so I just send those through in a small extra bag now.
  • Have experienced both nice understanding people and others. The former are far more common than the latter.
Yes. I have TSA pre-check. It does help.

The one thing I'll say... with all of the times I've been seen in a diaper or had people see diapers in my luggage... it's still less embarrassing than wetting my pants.

Reactions: DLPeakOut, Diprs2, Edgewater and 2 others
Flown so many times in diapers..I'm incontinent so not really a choice...kept hearing don't go through the TSA body scanners if you're wet well I went through plenty of times wet never an issue so I figured I'd really test it out double boosted megamax soaked to the core sat at a bar on a layover and had several beers also was chugging water went out to smoke and had to go back through security again no issues.... How ever a big package of wipes and a large container of powder can get you flagged if it's in your carry on. My carry on has been flagged several times because I always have my powder and wipes and I don't care I could put a couple wipes in a small ziplock and get a travel size powder but naw they check it out and send me on my way and they have always been very polite and respectful...so yeah don't sweat it.

Last edited:
cantwait said:
Something seems off in this flown hundreds of times I. The last couple years... They never remove anything before asking you if you want it inspected in private... And that is proper operating procedure and since everything they do is recorded they follow it to a T. There has to be more to this ......it just seems off ...I would have requested a supervisor and filed a grievance. Did you give them permission to search your bag ? Standard policy is to ask if it's your bag and then to ask your permission to look through it and if you would rather have it searched In private.... So strange I could see someone slipping up and not following 1 step of protocol. but to toss it completely aside ? And jump in without permission or obtaining admission of ownership and not asking if you'd prefer a private search. .. strange just strange

Have also flown extensively over the years and have likewise not had anything like that occur. Yes, I have TSA pre-check and have been in and out of Israel many times and their excellent security. Having the proper documents helps, as I was visiting businesses.

Flying out of Sweden, returning to the US was the second most detailed security review. I can only guess they want a perfect record with TSA. Flying into Sweden from within Europe, in my opinion, is one of the most dangerous flights as the overheads and under the seats are filled with liquor bottles as liquor taxes are extremely high there. As a grin, Car Ferries from Sweden into Germany have Stores that sell Swedish Road signs of Moose crossing signs. Seems the German's love them! I know, odd, but one of the grins of traveling.

Well stated above. I also send diapers ahead to the representatives that I will be traveling with as it greatly reduces volume.

Returning to the US using Atlanta was always a full check of my checked and carry-on. Always professional, always asked permission, always in private. I had guessed that I always had such a long layover it would provide a diversion to sitting around waiting, not miss my next flight or something like that. I tend to enjoy talking and have always found the international TSA staff the most professional. They also are wiling to open their rest room for my use.

The only thing that was regularly flagged was my flip-open multitool. It was common seeing the senior agents explaining it to the newer agents what it was and how it worked, which was priceless. But, diapers, never an issue or a double look.

Last edited:
Reactions: DLPeakOut, Diprs2, SherriLil and 1 other person
That's strange they did that, they should have asked if you need a private room to check. Or request a private area for bag checking. Sounds like they were not properly trained.

Reactions: Diprs2, littledreamers333 and Edgewater
I never had my carry on checked, except when I have forgotten a bottle of water, but I have had to go through a pat down a few times after passing through the scanner, even as recently as this past weekend. They always ask if I am okay being patted down in public or prefer it in private, I don't embarrass easy so I am okay with the public pat down. They have always been very professional

Reactions: Diprs2, Jorelaxed, SherriLil and 1 other person
I've been through security wearing diapers many times without problems, but they've always been dry. I did get "wanded" once and I know that my plastic pants were showing when I raised my arms. Not much I could do about it so I just moved on.

Reactions: Diprs2, Jorelaxed, cantwait and 1 other person
JaysonTheRegressor said:
Flying with diapers? Must have been pretty big diapers to pull that off XD
I was going through my stuff and realized people might have not known this was a joke
Like a diaper parachute LOL

• Haha
I've flown multiple times fully diapered, hasn't been an issue for me, I always change into a dry diaper right before flying.

I have flown alot but never hat the courige to wear diapers through tsa

Back