Fecal incontinence while sleeping, during the day and regulating the bowels.

CrossfireHurricane

longtime complete incontinent
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
F-IC is extremely challenging. I've been IC since I was a very young child. In the beginning it didn't really bother me. At least until I recognized that other kids didn't have to wear a diaper. It still didn't concern me until I started school. I had to see the doctors but they didn't change my condition. I was told to eat food that my mother prepared. It was pretty simple. But my BM's weren't regular. Sometimes when sleeping and other times during the day. It was that way until I was almost 16. By then I was given supplements and told to exercise daily. I was on a bowel program so surprisingly it worked. I started to have BM accidents mostly while sleeping or the early morning. Sometimes I would have one during the day but that was actually rare. So I didn't have a lot of accidents when I was in school. Even today I don't have them during work (I'm a teacher and a guidance counselor).

Regulating my bowels was easier than I thought. All I had to do was eat healthy, exercise daily and use certain suggested supplements. I was told to take psyllium husk which I used Equate (Walmart version) sugar free daily fiber supplement. It was like magic. It bulked the stool and made them more solid but not too firm for consistency. The volume became having larger BM's and it seemed to have more frequency (from once per day to twice or third per day). I went from going during the day to nighttime or the early morning. And of course one of the biggest thing was using internal deodorants. I take Nullo daily so odor is limited. They still have a little smell but it's not so offensive. Between everything I use for regulating my BM's, I'm still IC and have little or no control.

If you are having trouble trying to regulate your bowels, I suggest to eat health foods, exercise regularly and use a fiber supplement. You might still be incontinent but at least you will be more regular. Little diarrhea and limit constipation. Cleaning up a messy diaper would be easier and faster. And you will feel much better.

For me although I’m dual ic I’ve found that diet has made a huge difference it how difficult it is to deal with. Since becoming ic I try to limit my intake of red meat, sugar, caffeine, and fat while increasing my fiber intake with daily oatmeal with pineapple chunks, whole wheat pasta products, and Greek yogurt. In addition to these items I add probiotics, multivitamins, and various other supplements that I’ve found to make me feel and smell better. Now, finally, after over 34 years of dealing with my cervical spine injury, I’ve been learning how much your GI tract can affect inflammation in your body and how involved it is in removing inflammation and in preventing it along with its vital function as part of your immune system. After years of heavy opioid use I was suffering from opioid induced constipation which was overcome with a reduction of my narcotic pain meds to 20% of what I was once taking and implementing those dietary changes I mentioned earlier. I’ve got to thank the doctor that does my radio frequency ablation procedures on my neck for this medication reduction. I haven’t taken an internal deodorant as of yet but these dietary changes made a huge difference in how badly my movements smell…at least in my opinion but I may be somewhat nose blind.

Reactions: CrossfireHurricane
I have been recently taking Whole Psyllium Husk in the mornings to manage my diarrhea. Between 1 teaspoon and 1 tablespoon. It hasn't been a total success, but it has improved things considerably. There were a couple of days where the diarrhea returned about 1 pm, which is usually when it starts (probably due to the metformin). But even then, it was usually restricted to two events maybe 15 minutes apart. For the other days, the stool has been solid but not too firm. It has given me more confidence for taking hour long walks in the afternoon.

Unfortunately, Walmart Canada doesn't carry the product you mentioned. When I need a refill, I will look for a powdered form to try (rather than Whole Husk).

Zeke said:
Since becoming ic I try to limit my intake of red meat, sugar, caffeine, and fat while increasing my fiber intake with daily oatmeal with pineapple chunks, whole wheat pasta products, and Greek yogurt.
A lot of my U-IC and F-IC was reduced by quitting coffee, even though I love coffee. I might fall off the wagon if I know I am home bound for a day or so.

slimjiminy said:
A lot of my U-IC and F-IC was reduced by quitting coffee, even though I love coffee. I might fall off the wagon if I know I am home bound for a day or so.
In spite of the reputation truck drivers have for being coffee drinkers I never got into it that heavily. Mountain Dew was my weakness and means of ingesting caffeine. If I drank coffee I guarantee that I would have to stop and wet a tire within a half hour. If I drank Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper I could go for several hours even though I had drank more liquid than when I drank coffee.

My doctor also told me to take psyllium husks and to eat more fiber. This and doing my workouts helped me a lot as well. A real game changer was giving up coffee! My doctor didn't tell me to do this, but it was something that I wanted to try because I was curious if this was affecting me. And it definitely was! It was really hard for me giving up coffee because I really enjoyed drinking coffee. But giving up coffee resulted in me having more headaches but having way less accidents. But after three or four months I gave in and started to have a cup of coffee once in a while again. I was really missing it and my wife was like don't worry about it, you have accidents anyways. So now I have a cup of coffee on the weekends.
Occasionally I will have an accident in my sleep but very seldom. My wife tells me that I do pass gas a lot in my sleep though. My urge accidents usually happen during the day or night when I am awake and usually while standing, walking or sometimes when I do stretching workouts for my back. ..
@slimjiminy what is the difference between the powdered and the normal psyllium husks? I have the ones that you stir in water and you wait for a couple of minutes for them to thicken up. I buy them in a drugstore bio quality

Jinks said:
A real game changer was giving up coffee! My doctor didn't tell me to do this, but it was something that I wanted to try because I was curious if this was affecting me. And it definitely was! It was really hard for me giving up coffee because I really enjoyed drinking coffee. But giving up coffee resulted in me having more headaches but having way less accidents.
Yup. My U-iC was alone helped by quitting coffee but it was the F-IC that was the reason for my quitting it. It was hard enough to quit smoking a couple of decades ago, and now coffee? Sheesh.

Jinks said:
what is the difference between the powdered and the normal psyllium husks? I have the ones that you stir in water and you wait for a couple of minutes for them to thicken up. I buy them in a drugstore bio quality
All I know is that mine are called "whole" and that you can by finer ground up husks that are more of a powder. I spoon it into a tall glass of water and stir and swallow. I don't wait too long as I expect that they thicken well enough in your stomach. The powdered form might be more effective and more convenient (especially if they come in capsules).

Jinks said:
It was really hard for me giving up coffee because I really enjoyed drinking coffee.
I didn't stop my coffee. I did reduce to just 2 cups. I used to drink it all day. To be honest I didn't feel anything.
Jinks said:
I have the ones that you stir in water and you wait for a couple of minutes for them to thicken up.
Whether you use Metamucil or Walmart version (Equate Daily Fiber supplement), they are the same thing. I usually take a large spoon of the Daily Fiber (psyllium husk) and sometimes one in the evening. DO NOT let it thicken. Simply add the water, stir the powder and drink it down right away. It will thicken in your stomach.

It usually has a BM within 12 to 24 hours. It will limit loose stool, constipation and if you use internal deodorants, your poop won't stink as bad. You will have to get used to it as you can expect larger BM's and sometimes you will have more frequency. And remember it's a part of a bowel program.

Reactions: Jonnythepony
CrossfireHurricane said:
I didn't stop my coffee. I did reduce to just 2 cups. I used to drink it all day. To be honest I didn't feel anything.

Whether you use Metamucil or Walmart version (Equate Daily Fiber supplement), they are the same thing. I usually take a large spoon of the Daily Fiber (psyllium husk) and sometimes one in the evening. DO NOT let it thicken. Simply add the water, stir the powder and drink it down right away. It will thicken in your stomach.

It usually has a BM within 12 to 24 hours. It will limit loose stool, constipation and if you use internal deodorants, your poop won't stink as bad. You will have to get used to it as you can expect larger BM's and sometimes you will have more frequency. And remember it's a part of a bowel program.
Some of us (IC) have a problem with coffee. First, I don't have any problem from drinking coffee. I don't drink it all day. Just a couple of cups. One in the morning and have another when I get to the office. Second, it doesn't ignite my bowels. But sometimes if I hadn't had one while sleeping or the in the morning, I'll try another cup and sometimes it works.

It's important to use a bowel program. Whether it's a suppository, an enema, a simple cup of coffee, or using more fiber / psyllium husk, I usually take Metamucil, healthy foods for my diet and a good long walk in the morning or anything other exercise. My normal diet and a fiber include Metamucil. So I usually have a BM during the night and / or sometimes in the morning. This allows me to have a clean diaper during the day. I can handle the wetting.

greatlake5 said:
First, I don't have any problem from drinking coffee. I don't drink it all day. Just a couple of cups. One in the morning and have another when I get to the office.
Keep in mind that you have your youth in your favour. I used to be able to drink coffee from the days of my youth until recent retirement.

There were a few days that I might have had 6 cups of black coffee, back then, but that was unusual. But something changed about the time that my IBS-d flared up, about 3 years ago. No idea why that started out of the blue. Other things I used to be able to enjoy like apple cider (non-alcoholic) now causes instant grief these days.

There's a lot about IBS that does not appear to be well understood by the medical profession.

Back