Falling in love with a new (old) story.

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
So I don't know how many sci fi fans we have out there but I felt I had to share this one with you all.

Last weekend Youtube recommended me a video (I get all sorts showing up there) that was quite simply a guy reading a story like an audio book. This wasn't just any story however... Oh No...

I wonder how many people out here have heard of HFY? it stands for "Humanity, F**k Yeah!" it is a literary focused subreddit for people to write and leave their short stories about exhibiting the awesome potential of humanity.

This particular story was started about 10 years ago by user Hambone3110 titled "the Deathworlders" and has been written over 9 years with now 97 chapters and the entire setting (the Jenkinsverse) has been added to by dozens of authors all adding their own little stories, some very large some small.

I don't want to spoil too much of it by going into detail right away but I will say the "mainline" story and some of the now cannon side stories by others are incredibly well written (better than many best selling sci fi novels I've read in the last few years) and actually have a pretty decent setup for why the universe is the way it is.

It is well worth the read/listen and I highly recommend it to anyone into sci fi and maybe even some of you that aren't, Sadly the Youtube playlist isn't even half complete but with 149 videos averaging 25-30 minutes is enough to keep you going for a bit.

Here is the Youtube playlist for the essential reading order (mainline and some important side stories).

The Deathworlder's

And also the link to the full chronological chapter guide for all cannon stories with their reddit chapter links.

And in case you'd like to know a little more about what to expect
The story revolves around the idea that there are many alien life forms in the galaxy with a well built and defined galactic community between them.

In general these Aliens categorise habitable planets by classes depending upon their level of difficulty to survive their these categories are influenced by things like weather conditions viral/bacterial/micro fauna, predatory species, geological and environmental conditions, gravity strength etc. With class 1 being considered perfect, you could drop any species here butt naked with nothing and they would thrive. most species live on class 2-5 with some on class 6.

Class 7-9 are considered extremely hazardous requiring great training, skill, equipment and resources in order to stay alive.

Class 10+ however are called death worlds and it is believed that the conditions while atmospherically are liveable the general conditions are considered so dangerous and require so much effort just to stay alive that it is impossible for sapient life to evolve or live there.

Earth is a Class 12 world.

So when humans start taking the first steps into the greater galaxy (mostly abductees at first) we find that we are so much stronger than anyone else and are considered so dangerous the galaxy places a force field around our entire system. This will not hold us for long however and the universe is in for a big surprise.

As I said there are some pretty sound explanations for at least some of why the universe is the way it is and it is highly addicting, Trust me just give it a go.

Back