F-IC and Cloth

RedStripeLvr

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
For those who deal with F-IC...do any of you regularly use cloth diapers? If so, how do you deal with clean up and laundry?

I deal with F-IC on average about 3-4 mornings a week. Since it is almost exclusively in the morning, I stay in my night diaper until either it happens or I can use the toilet.

I wear a high quality disposable covered with a cloth contour and plastic pants to bed, which makes cleanup easier. I still often have leaks during the night (side sleeper) and think that layered cloth may work better for limiting leaks. I'd like to try cloth only at night but dread the thought of clean up. I already have to do laundry because of leaks and dampness, so I might as well try to save the $ on disposables. Any advice?

Reactions: Edgewater and EcoIncon
cloth will help a lot for sleeping on your side, for cloth will provide coverage (absorbency) front back and sides. there is an expense up front purchasing the cloth diapers but there is also a savings long term. laundering is more involved with F-IC the diapers will have to be pre-soaked before washing. do not use fabric softener that will degrade the absorbency of your diapers. using a booster inside for some can help contain the mess for easier clean up. the easiest washable and dryable cloth diapers are flat fold squares that are layered based on the needed absorbency. it is a tail and error process.

Reactions: Edgewater
Try using a diaper liner like these disposable diaper liners inside the cloth if you're really concerned about it. I don't have regular F-IC but ____ happens. Anytime it does, dump the extra in the toilet, flush, use the toilet water to get the rest of the solids off. Then rinse in the sink. The remaining stain will come out in the wash.

Reactions: Edgewater and RedStripeLvr
In my view, a disposable liner is an absolute must. The cost is very minimal on a per-use basis, and you only have to add a liner when you think there's a possibility of a messy diaper. I have even heard from folks who reuse wet disposable liners, but that's not something I'd do.

EcoIncon hit the nail on the head. A liner makes cleanup much, much easier. I deal with my own diapers in the mornings, so I speak from experience as well.

Reactions: Edgewater, RedStripeLvr and EcoIncon
@EcoIncon and @sbmccue I ordered some diaper liners tonight. Looking forward to seeing how they do for me. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: Edgewater and EcoIncon
As far as I know, they don't have an adult size cloth diaper disposable liner. I mostly wear a quality disposable diaper and a good booster (Eternadry contour booster 27" x 10"). Sometimes during golf, tennis and softball I'll wear a cloth pocket diaper, inserts and one of these boosters (just in case of BM accidents). If I could find a disposable liner I might consider a cloth diaper for sleeping. Well, they have this - Frost protection fleece. They have them at Amazon. You can cut these in size. Mr. ade posted this. He said to wash them first (nice and soft). There might be a little stain of poop on the cloth diaper but no mess (solid or not). All disposable. I just purchased them on Amazon. Just waiting now. I would suggest trying these.

I’ve been a side sleeper most of my life and dual ic for around 8 years now. After trying many products and failing regularly I’ve come up with a system that works for me that depends primarily on cotton gauze contours and Birdseye prefolds with Abena M-4s for when cloth is impractical. In other posts I’ve detailed how I use a folded terry hand towel as a liner and a folded terry bath towel as a soaker. They’re folded in thirds and then once they’re in place I unfold them in the front and rear forming a “V” that contains bodily emissions quite efficiently. Then the terry wicks to either the contour or prefold making it ready for another wetting. For fecal ic this works well as the unfolded portion of the terry towels in the crotch keep feces from moving forward that could creat problems with UTI’s.

EcoIncon said:
Try using a diaper liner like these disposable diaper liners inside the cloth
IF...I used "these disposable diaper liners," they would be way to small (12" X 7.5"). That's one of the reasons I don't use them.
greatlake5 said:
Well, they have this - Frost protection fleece. They have them at Amazon. You can cut these in size. Mr. ade posted this. He said to wash them first (nice and soft). There might be a little stain of poop on the cloth diaper but no mess (solid or not). All disposable. I just purchased them on Amazon. Just waiting now. I would suggest trying these.
How about these? It looks like they would be perfect. Especially when sleeping (stool migrates while moving during sleep).

Has anyone tried these? Are they comfortable? If they are I'm considering them.

Last edited:
I am U-IC and as stated "____" happens, but for me, only when I am sick!

I use cloth diapers during the day (retired now) cotton gauze liner and Birdseye pre-fold outer layered based on need. At night or when sick, I use Northshore's MEGAMAX disposable diapers and over either NS's Trifecta Plastic Pants.

Trial and error is a reality as each of us are different.

Reactions: EcoIncon and greatlake5
RedStripeLvr said:
For those who deal with F-IC...do any of you regularly use cloth diapers? If so, how do you deal with clean up and laundry?

I deal with F-IC on average about 3-4 mornings a week. Since it is almost exclusively in the morning, I stay in my night diaper until either it happens or I can use the toilet.

I wear a high quality disposable covered with a cloth contour and plastic pants to bed, which makes cleanup easier. I still often have leaks during the night (side sleeper) and think that layered cloth may work better for limiting leaks. I'd like to try cloth only at night but dread the thought of clean up. I already have to do laundry because of leaks and dampness, so I might as well try to save the $ on disposables. Any advice?
When i am out of insurance money i usually use cloth around the house, i usually put a booster back there, makes it easier for cleaning. But that rarely occurs and my Fi isn’t full bowels but small leakage so it will probably be different for you.

Reactions: Edgewater and RedStripeLvr
Back