Drink more water, wear more diapers. Be happy

daylight

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hey All,

I tried to come up with a catchy click bait...but that's not the point. I just want to pass on a simple and well known suggestion but, sometimes we forget the consequences are more than just your bladder.

We all know and practice of refraining from drinking and the importance of hydrating for cognitive function, and regarding our bladders, a reduction of irritants due to concentrated urine, and socially to reduce odors. I've also found that I reduce my water intake almost subconsciously as a protective measure at home and in social situations where I don't want to leak, or smell, or...you know; many of us do this.

I was looking for solutions to relieve pain related to spinal/cervical nerve issues. What I found: Hydration impacts your spine, tendons, and muscles. Obvious you say but, do you practice what you know?

After some days of changing water intake from 1.5-2 liters to 3+ liters a day (I'm 6', 190 lbs, and very active), I can with confidence state that lack of hydration directly impacts my spine resulting in pain and mobility issues. When I stay well hydrated, the pain and motion issues are effectively gone. I don't have to apply heat or ice, or massage aides. Yes, I leak more often but thankfully not more volume per void (i.e. 50-200ml). Downsides are acceptable, I can pretty much kiss goodbye much of my continence (maybe back to timed voiding) but, the trade off is no pain. While my set of circumstances maybe/are different than yours, I encourage anyone dealing with spine/joint/muscle pain to really consider looking at your fluid intake and see if an increase helps. Note it took me a few days to see positive affects.

Please, please think through your situation and if you try increasing fluids do so in moderation and under awareness of any other conditions and doctor's advisement.

• Love
Reactions: 247, HalMidLife, EcoIncon and 6 others
In the summer time when I attend dirt track race track events, I make it a point to hydrate well (not beer) since I am sitting in the sun for 2-3 hours, and perhaps an hour or 2 later before the event ends. And it can sometimes get dry and dusty in the stands. So I always come prepared for U-IC as a side effect of hydration. Having full cognitive ability helps me to drive home. :eek:

Reactions: EcoIncon, ianwee, newt and 2 others
The summer is when I'm most remiss with hydrating. I can relate to your (@slimjiminy) thoughts, this is the good version of a drinking and drive slogan.

Reactions: EcoIncon, ianwee, slimjiminy and 2 others
daylight said:
Hey All,

I tried to come up with a catchy click bait...but that's not the point. I just want to pass on a simple and well known suggestion but, sometimes we forget the consequences are more than just your bladder.

We all know and practice of refraining from drinking and the importance of hydrating for cognitive function, and regarding our bladders, a reduction of irritants due to concentrated urine, and socially to reduce odors. I've also found that I reduce my water intake almost subconsciously as a protective measure at home and in social situations where I don't want to leak, or smell, or...you know; many of us do this.

I was looking for solutions to relieve pain related to spinal/cervical nerve issues. What I found: Hydration impacts your spine, tendons, and muscles. Obvious you say but, do you practice what you know?

After some days of changing water intake from 1.5-2 liters to 3+ liters a day (I'm 6', 190 lbs, and very active), I can with confidence state that lack of hydration directly impacts my spine resulting in pain and mobility issues. When I stay well hydrated, the pain and motion issues are effectively gone. I don't have to apply heat or ice, or massage aides. Yes, I leak more often but thankfully not more volume per void (i.e. 50-200ml). Downsides are acceptable, I can pretty much kiss goodbye much of my continence (maybe back to timed voiding) but, the trade off is no pain. While my set of circumstances maybe/are different than yours, I encourage anyone dealing with spine/joint/muscle pain to really consider looking at your fluid intake and see if an increase helps. Note it took me a few days to see positive affects.

Please, please think through your situation and if you try increasing fluids do so in moderation and under awareness of any other conditions and doctor's advisement.
I just drink and go on.

Reactions: ianwee
daylight said:
Hey All,

I tried to come up with a catchy click bait...
Thinking about the way politicians use three-word slogans (remember 'Get Brexit Done' and 'Stop The Boats', in the UK, and of course 'Clear The Swamp' in the US ... maybe a catchy phrase in this instance could perhaps be:

Drink... Diaper ... Pee

• Haha
Reactions: Woncrinklz and EcoIncon
'Keep yourself dry' 'Stop the leaks' 'Get extra protection' 'Prevent the swamp' 'Clear plastic pants'

Reactions: Woncrinklz, JunkyardDog1 and EcoIncon
daylight said:
Downsides are acceptable, I can pretty much kiss goodbye much of my continence
Well for what it’s worth, the only time I come close to mimicking continence is when I am dehydrated.

Reactions: Napincolove
i think staying hydrated is one thing, and you can do a little test to find out if you are hydrated enough.. but some people drink in excess because they either have a health condition or they want to over load their system to wet more often, which i think if you drink too much can upset your levels

Reactions: JunkyardDog1
daylight said:
Hey All,

I have learned from being a runner 🏃‍♂️ I do need to replenish but sometimes I have the urge to go while I b am in mid stride. I just let go and noone knows any better.

being properly hydrated is very important to your body and over all health. not just in the summer and heavy active that cause sweat but during the winter when the air is dry and cold season is in it's highest point. physically i function better when i am hydrated, and it is better for the bladder. will i wet more yes that is a given, but it is better health wise for me. you want a clear urine and proper hydrate decreases smell.

Reactions: geka and J1973
@Joeysms I was surprised to learn that winter was especially dehydrating and to drink plenty even though you are not sweating.

Reactions: sport1 and J1973
daylight said:
@Joeysms I was surprised to learn that winter was especially dehydrating and to drink plenty even though you are not sweating.
yes, during the winter / cold months the air is dry and even though you aren't sweating the moisture from your body is still being pulled out. you don't notice as one would with sweating. also with the cold people tend to drink less.

Reactions: daylight and sport1
Don't reduce fluids to avoid peeing
don't drink extra to pee more
both are bad for your body
Drink normal amounts and let the diaper catch what's needed

Reactions: JustAGirl, hbic60 and Babybub
SparkyDog said:
Drink normal amounts and let the diaper catch what's needed

Kind of what I and others were getting at. Balance is personal and related to your current activity, environment, and stature for sure. Catching...what's not needed.

daylight said:

After some days of changing water intake from 1.5-2 liters to 3+ liters a day (I'm 6', 190 lbs, and very active), I can with confidence state that lack of hydration directly impacts my spine resulting in pain and mobility issues. When I stay well hydrated, the pain and motion issues are effectively gone.
@daylight
Thanks for sharing!

Understood the general benefits to hydration but had no idea it might possibly benefit my spinal issues. Will keep a track of muscular/nerve symptoms and see if it correlates to my hydration.

Thanks again for sharing!!!!

Reactions: daylight
Back