Don't know what to think.

lilshelly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
I am functionally incontinent because of my Cerebral Palsy. I had made the decision to wear at least when I was away from home.
Try as I might and I have recently, because I am kind of beside myself wearing diapers because it is a sign that my cp is getting worse.
I have tried to go without a diaper but then I feel a constant need to go after awhile. I don't quite what to think about it because I have always read that you can't become diaper dependent. I am very afraid that I will be that way at some point.

Reactions: sport1 and Hahaurfnuuy
I am sorry to hear of your CP and will just say try not to worry about wearing a Nappy, it really is no big deal and at the end of the day if it makes your life easier using one then why shouldn't you !
Becoming dependant on Nappies is pretty much up to you, wear one and whenever you can use the toilet, and only use your Nappy when you have no alternative as that will not be making you dependant only making your life easier.

Generally you can't get physically "diaper dependent", your bladder muscles do not have any sense if the pee gets into a toilet or into a diaper. The other question is of course how much you can get used to not hold in but simply release - but that's all upon you! Also with wearing diapers you can still try to hold in an urge for a certain time before releasing instead of always letting it go immediately upon slightest need to go, so in long term your bladder stays on a certain size instead of shrinking and you bladder muscles still stay under some training.

Reactions: Lethdale and mickdl
Hi Iilshelly,

your wrote that you‘re functionally incontinent. I think before thinking about diapers, pads and all that stuff it might be a idea to think about what exactly hinder you to reach or use the toilet. Basically there are many other option like foldable bottles, knowledge about toilets on the way and so on. If you feel the constant need after a while there might be also a problem with your bladder that may have nothing to do with your CP. So it might be also a idea to ask a urologist for help.

With the „dependency“ it‚s like hbic60 already mentioned. Your bladder is a muscle, that needs to be trained. It matters little if you frequently run to a toilet or use a diaper in this case. Doing so have a influence to you bladder capacity that slowly shrink and thing going worse.

So it might be a better idea to hold it. This is because if it really went wrong, your bladder muscle becomes so week that he is not capable to build up enough pressure anymore to empty the bladder completely. This causes in a first stage lots of residual urine what may then cause UTI‘s and if you still do nothing the muscle stops somewhen working and you have to do empty yourself manually with ISC.

I alway wunder about people writing things like „diaper dependency“ here - often in the context of „If you wear diapers long enaugh and let it simply go into them you will become incontinent“ - here as a hint to also those who asking for a solution to become incontinent. This is pretty much nonsense, because doing so have in the long run exactly the reverse effect…

Last edited:
Reactions: lidleme, lilshelly and bdale
Did the functional disorder get determined by a urologist? If not as others mentioned it would be a numero uno.

There's no harm in using protection while you get testing and doing the exercises. There are physiotherapists that do individual and group sessions who will give you the correct methods for you. There is a great success rate with correct training.

mickdl said:
Hi Iilshelly,

your wrote that you‘re functionally incontinent. I think before thinking about diapers, pads and all that stuff it might be a idea to think about what exactly hinder you to reach or use the toilet. Basically there are many other option like foldable bottles, knowledge about toilets on the way and so on. If you feel the constant need after a while there might be also a problem with your bladder that may have nothing to do with your CP. So it might be also a idea to ask a urologist for help.

With the „dependency“ it‚s like hbic60 already mentioned. Your bladder is a muscle, that needs to be trained. It matters little if you frequently run to a toilet or use a diaper in this case. Doing so have a influence to you bladder capacity that slowly shrink and thing going worse.

So it might be a better idea to hold it. This is because if it really went wrong, your bladder muscle becomes so week that he is not capable to build up enough pressure anymore to empty the bladder completely. This causes in a first stage lots of residual urine what may then cause UTI‘s and if you still do nothing the muscle stops somewhen working and you have to do empty yourself manually with ISC.

I alway wunder about people writing things like „diaper dependency“ here - often in the context of „If you wear diapers long enaugh and let it simply go into them you will become incontinent“ - here as a hint to also those who asking for a solution to become incontinent. This is pretty much nonsense, because doing so have in the long run exactly the reverse effect…
I honestly don't understand those who want to become diaper dependent. Just why? I carry a diaper bag with me a few
diapers and other supplies. For me I am lucky enough that I can be without my diapers home. I guess that is my saving grace. My main issue started being with my Cerebral Palsy as i am aging it is harder for me to get around because it affects my legs. So to answer the question I find it easier to wear protection rather than have to worry about if I am going to fall on the way to the bathroom or if I am going to make it in time. Cp has gotten to rhe point that I am using a cane now to make sure that I am steady on my feet in certain situations.

lilshelly said:
I am functionally incontinent because of my Cerebral Palsy. I had made the decision to wear at least when I was away from home.
Try as I might and I have recently, because I am kind of beside myself wearing diapers because it is a sign that my cp is getting worse.
I have tried to go without a diaper but then I feel a constant need to go after awhile. I don't quite what to think about it because I have always read that you can't become diaper dependent. I am very afraid that I will be that way at some point.
Thats a wise discussing.

Back