Do you work full-time or do you work half-time (or maybe retired)?

I work full time Monday-Friday 8 hours a day. It takes me 30 min to drive to work and 30 min to drive home

Reactions: Edgewater
Tenawearer said:
Free tomorrow, working Saturday, Sunday and Monday. 5 o'clock start Mon morning.
Past 5 I will be

I am what some might call double time worker. Truck Drivers work week is continues. In an 8 day period we work as many as 70 hours. That 8th day is continually changing in other words. For example last Mondays hours drop off and those hours come back for this Tuesday so it's a moving target. For me I have 8.25 hours tomorrow I'm getting from last week. The rules are screwy I can only drive a max of 11 hours but I can't go over those 70 I can't work any 8 hour period without having a 30 minute break somewhere in the middle. I can not be on duty more then 14 hours in a given day. So if the day starts at 6am I haft to done by 8pm. When the day is over you haft to take atleast 10 hours off. You can also reset the 70 hour rule if you take 34 continues hours off. There are a couple more rules and we all haft to know the rules so mistakes arnt made. My mother once asked me who laid awake all night coming up with all these rules. Well FMCSA for short or Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. All these rules are in an effort to keep us and you safe. Anyway long story short double time worker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pelusos, Edgewater and LePew
Full time electrician

Reactions: Edgewater and Kirisin
I work full time, but also full time from home, so my diaper wearing time is pretty much all days of the week.

Reactions: Edgewater and chamberpot
I work full time. Plus I run a computer repair on the side.

I am a professional musician and have 2 business so I would say I work well over full time , as when touring your always headed to the next concert with little to no days off , when not on tour I am either busy writing new songs or being a studio consultant or recording a jingle for a company or running my other business.

Reactions: Edgewater, Kirisin and dogboy
40-50/week M-F, very rarely more. It's been a lot easier to get by since I moved somewhere with good buses and could sell my car. Even building a retirement fund now.

Am very grateful that I'm doing well on that alone since I prefer keeping my real life separate from the way I earn a living. The boss gets exactly as much of my effort and attention as he buys from me.

Rutibex said:
40-50/week M-F, very rarely more. It's been a lot easier to get by since I moved somewhere with good buses and could sell my car. Even building a retirement fund now.

Am very grateful that I'm doing well on that alone since I prefer keeping my real life separate from the way I earn a living. The boss gets exactly as much of my effort and attention as he buys from me.

Remember that as one goes though life, you are building your resume and the effort and growth you put into this job can enhance your ability to obtain an even better opportunity.

Edgewater said:
Remember that as one goes though life, you are building your resume and the effort and growth you put into this job can enhance your ability to obtain an even better opportunity.
I have an education relevant to my field and do my part with regular followup training like trade organization certs and other coursework and with networking events, it's why I am comfortable now. I am always happy to discuss all reasonable job offers. My current lower COL is a cherry on top for me.

American hustle culture is harmful and I do my best to leave my work mind at work (though I don't always succeed at leaving the stress along with my mind). I sell my labor not my soul and I make my boundaries clear to anyone wanting to buy. Somehow, despite having a spine, I haven't run out of work yet.

But when I am home I will not justify needing to create art for its own sake instead of thinking of ways to monetize it, or to enjoy the company of friends without inflicting my bullshit mlm on them, or even to relax, recharge, and spend an evening doing absolutely nothing worthwhile. Work to live and you'll be happier.

I work full time, average 40 hours week. "Free time" is used maintaining an old house, keeping the car drivable and growing a garden.

I work full time (plus). I need to be available to respond to emergencies 24/7. I often find myself working some evenings, weekends, and rarely overnight. That also means I have a lot of flexibility to handle personal/family needs during the typical workday. Basically, as long as deadlines are met, and everything is operating normally, I am good!

I also can work from home when I need to focus, or don’t have a specific reason to drive the up to hour and a half to work. (Large city, terrible traffic.)

Back