Do you wake-up in the night with a BM accident?

greatlake5

Profoundly incontinent since the beginning.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Most of the time I sleep like a rock. But every once in a while I'll awake. And it's when I felt a load in my diaper. Most of the time I have BM accidents when I'm sleeping and I don't notice until the next morning. Sometimes I'll awake and I know it's uncomfortable but I'm too sleepy to change my diaper. In the early morning I just clean-up and hit the shower.

Do IC people wake-up in the night and try to change yourself? I admit that I rarely change myself until it's in the morning. Do you go back to sleep?

Reactions: DannyMed0919 and sport1
I usually sleep through the night, through my BM. It don’t wake up when it is happening, and any discomfort after doesn’t wake me up either.

If I wake up for some reason in the night and I have already messed, I have no trouble falling back asleep. Changing can wait for the morning especially if I can expect I will continue messing.

In the morning I’ll push to make sure I am finished and then change shortly after.

Reactions: JolandaH, Jonnythepony, Hemix and 7 others
Thankfully no, not yet anyway. Don't jinx it..

Reactions: Diaperman95 and GatoChihuahua
Most nights it happens I don't wake up. But if I do I used to jump up and change but then I'd be fully awake and struggle to get back to sleep now I just go back to sleep unless it requires attention immediately.

Reactions: SheenaLuvs
Thankfully I do not have bowel accidents during my sleep. If I I doubt I would change in the middle of the night, I would most likely go back to sleep.

It happens quite regularly with me so I make sure that I apply plenty of diaper rash ointment or skin repair cream when I change to prevent rashes. It also seems to make cleanup a bit easier.

Reactions: GatoChihuahua
DiaperDiva said:
If I wake up for some reason in the night and I have already messed, I have no trouble falling back asleep. Changing can wait for the morning
About half of my accidents occur while sleeping. The rest of the time happens in the morning and sometimes later in the day. When I'm awake I have uncontrollable urgency (with weak bowel muscles) but when I'm sleeping I never feel it. Sometimes when I'm sleeping I suddenly wake up during messing. Which surprises me. But do I change after an accident during the night? No. I'm too sleepy. I just go back to sleep. I don't change right a way in the morning unless I have more. Typically I'll have another mess during my morning coffee. When I know it's done I take a shower and put on my morning diaper. Then it's off to school (teaching).

Reactions: HereWeGo2169
Oh yeah! I got diarrhea in my diaper because I smell during sleep. Bowel accident.

Some times ill half wake up to the urge and just go in my diaper bc im already wet by then so why not just go in my diaper and get good sleep vs not sleeping good and going to the toilet

When it happens to me I don't usually wake up from it but if I do then I will probably change.

I usually do because I get a rash otherwise

DiaperDiva said:
I have no trouble falling back asleep. Changing can wait for the morning
I sleep pretty good, even if I've messed during the night. Sometimes I wake up and then I can feel the load in my diaper.
I'm just too sleepy to do anything about it. I know I've messed but I don't have a problem going back to sleep.
DiaperDiva said:
In the morning I’ll push to make sure I am finished and then change shortly after.
When I get up I do some stretches and some meditation. By then and I'm relaxed I usually have another poop. Rarely do I have to push. I'll feel an urge and it just comes out. Then I clean-up and take a nice warm shower. After my morning diaper change I'm ready for the day.

For some reason, if I haven't had a BM during the night, I know I'll have an accident later during the day. Thankfully that doesn't happen daily. Maybe 10 or 15% of the time. Do you have accidents during the day?

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21
greatlake5 said:
Most of the time I sleep like a rock. But every once in a while I'll awake. And it's when I felt a load in my diaper. Most of the time I have BM accidents when I'm sleeping and I don't notice until the next morning. Sometimes I'll awake and I know it's uncomfortable but I'm too sleepy to change my diaper. In the early morning I just clean-up and hit the shower.

Do IC people wake-up in the night and try to change yourself? I admit that I rarely change myself until it's in the morning. Do you go back to sleep?
It has happened, a few times and i didn't know until i woke up. A few times i woke up and changed i don't enjoy that mess in my diaper!

I almost always go back to sleep.
Rarely do I get up in the middle of the night, just to go to the toilet.
This would only happen if I have had a very bad IBS incident in my sleep and I have woken up aware that my nappy is about to leak.

In such a rare event (maybe about once or twice a year, with diarrhea), this would mean a long interruption to my slumber, involving a visit to the toilet, having a shower and changing into a fresh a nappy.
Getting back to sleep (depending on the time of night) after all of that, is not always possible.

I am far more likely to have an uncontrolled BM when I am out on my early morning walks, to obtain a takeaway coffee.
(I take this one hour and 45 minute walk on most mornings and return home with a messy nappy, on average, about once a week).

But I am happy with my lot in life.

By the way @greatlake5 it is great to see how much your life has improved since I first saw your initial posts just over a year ago, when you joined us about one month after I re-joined ADISC.
(So, happy to see that you have found someone who accepts you as you are).
I also enjoyed reading your 'better late than never' introduction.

Thanks for asking this BM question.

Last edited:
Reactions: HereWeGo2169 and GatoChihuahua
greatlake5 said:
I sleep pretty good, even if I've messed during the night. Sometimes I wake up and then I can feel the load in my diaper.
I'm just too sleepy to do anything about it. I know I've messed but I don't have a problem going back to sleep.

When I get up I do some stretches and some meditation. By then and I'm relaxed I usually have another poop. Rarely do I have to push. I'll feel an urge and it just comes out. Then I clean-up and take a nice warm shower. After my morning diaper change I'm ready for the day.

For some reason, if I haven't had a BM during the night, I know I'll have an accident later during the day. Thankfully that doesn't happen daily. Maybe 10 or 15% of the time. Do you have accidents during the day?
My routine is very regular that way, I have one large BM in a 24 hr period, in my sleep overnight. I can't remember the last time I didn't have a BM overnight, it's just a certainty. I have had (BM) accidents during the day but they are so few and far between that I consider that more a product of unfortunate situations than a condition of my incontinence.

Reactions: jessraven and greatlake5
Didn’t think this could happen to me but it has occasionally. Normally my accidents are daytime, but I woke up in the night and realized I messed along with wetting myself like last night. I was so tired and fell back asleep...I just cleaned up and changed first thing.

Reactions: greatlake5 and Soggy247
DiaperDiva said:
My routine is very regular that way, I have one large BM in a 24 hr period, in my sleep overnight. I can't remember the last time I didn't have a BM overnight, it's just a certainty. I have had (BM) accidents during the day but they are so few and far between that I consider that more a product of unfortunate situations than a condition of
My gf has a bm over night at least 3 times a week. She tends to sleep through also. She is very embarrassed about it, but i do my best to make her feel ok. I think its the smell that she gets embarrassed by.

Reactions: jessraven
DiaperDiva said:
My routine is very regular that way, I have one large BM in a 24 hr period, in my sleep overnight. I can't remember the last time I didn't have a BM overnight, it's just a certainty. I have had (BM) accidents during the day but they are so few and far between that I consider that more a product of unfortunate situations than a condition of my incontinence.
Your routine (very regular) where you have one large BM during a 24 hours, sounds uncomfortably.. I could say that 85% of these are for me. When I get up in the morning it's "usual." But when it doesn't, day time accidents ruin the day. Thankfully it doesn't happen daily. But I get enough of them that I use daily internal deodorants (and yes, plastic pants - which I'm not fond of). Certainly BM accidents are the condition of my IC.

Without giving you "personal" questions, how do you deal with these kind of daytime accidents. When I was younger, BM accidents where horrendous. It's not as bad today. But they still worry me.

The Galway woman (my mom), would ask "did you ... fill your diaper?", and would meet me at school and took me back home. It took at least for an hour for a clean-up and a shower. Even with a fresh diaper change I never wanted to go back to school. Ever. But I did. How I got through this I'd rather not remember. When I look back I cringe. Today I think I'm better prepared for these kind of accidents.

I think the condition of being IC unequivocally hurts all of F-IC people. Do you get through the accidents? I would think most of us move on as quickly as possible. But sometimes it just doesn't help.

Now that I'm older (and I rarely mess during the day), getting through the day usually doesn't bother me. I would think that you must have had the same experiences.

/

I have it happen every once in a while like maybe once a month at night. Most peoples bowels slow down at night. If I wake and realize I have messed I normally get up and change. I very seldom let a messy diaper stay on any longer than I must. Besides I share a bed with the wife and I would not make her smell me all night.

DiaperDiva said:
I usually sleep through the night, through my BM. It don’t wake up when it is happening, and any discomfort after doesn’t wake me up either.

If I wake up for some reason in the night and I have already messed, I have no trouble falling back asleep. Changing can wait for the morning especially if I can expect I will continue messing.

Same

Back