Do you think plastic backed diapers will disappear? Lets have a poll.

What is your preference with your age group.

• Over 40- plastic backed

Votes: 117 42.9%
  • Under 40- plastic backed

Votes: 109 39.9%
  • Over 40- cloth-backed

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • Under 40- cloth-backed

Votes: 36 13.2%

• Total voters
ILuvDiapers said:
Bitey dogs! :oops: :cry:
Or, as they called them in the movie "True Lies" : "fur-coated razor blades" !

Reactions: ILuvDiapers
My main need in order to wear frequently is to be discrete (so thin and not too noisy). I really really prefer the feel of plastic and they are much better at containing leaks. I have however progressively moved over towards cloth-backed for 2 reasons: my main supermarket chain has moved over to cloth backed nappies (their store-brand) so I tried them and they are not bad. Lovely and squishy. What I have done though is added a pair of plastic pants to the mix. I find that all nappies sag especially when wet and a pair of plastic pants over the top holds them up nicely as well as giving me back the plastic feel that I so crave.

So I definitely prefer plastic nappies - had a whole 36 hours in mega-maxes recently and loved it. I just hope plastic backed stay around for a while more.

Reactions: surprise35 and BobbiSueEllen
In my observations, it's really the under 30 demographic, more specifically under 25, that leans more towards cloth back. Almost everyone born in the 90s still wore plastic-backed diapers.

I thought there was rise in ABDL companies to make plastic babyish diapers available. In the mid 2000s yes all the adult diapers were going clothlike and there were no really babyish adult diaprs to begin with. So many ABDL companies started forming to address the need of plastic diapers for ABDLs. I think BAmbino was an early one I believe back then. There will always be plastic diapers in the ABDL market. There would have to be a world wide ban of most plastic for them to disappear. As it is even the clothlike ones have plastic in them .Its just a mesh covering over the plastic shell of the diaper. My son had some Hulk Pull Ups and I meticulously peeled of the mesh on the surface of it and yes it was now a plastic backed Pull Up! The print even looked more brilliant on it too!

Reactions: DLWee and BobbiSueEllen
They will not disappear completely , but even yes plastic pants over them gives you the same sensation.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Never. Because I will make my own if they do. If anyone is willing to use force to stop me I'll show them what I learned in the defense systems industry too. WHIIRRRR WHIIIRRR CLUNK /TRACKING TARGETS

Last edited:
Reactions: soggybottoms8882 and BobbiSueEllen
If it looks like they will disappear the I will rent a Uhaul truck and load up 😞

Reactions: surprise35 and BobbiSueEllen
I would buy a lifetime amount if I thought they were going to stop making them.

• Love
LittleAndAlone said:
Never. Because I will make my own if they do. If anyone is willing to use force to stop me I'll show them what I learned in the defense systems industry too. WHIIRRRR WHIIIRRR CLUNK /TRACKING TARGETS
Unfortunately I am thinking that governments will make them illegal because they are plastic.

• Thinking
Under 40 - plastic backed.

I think plastic backed nappies are much better for odour control and I feel more confident with a plastic backed nappy, that being said I have used cloth backed in the past and was okay with Tena Slip Maxi (EU) but that was before proskin line was introduced.

My dream cloth backed nappy are actually the ABU Little Kings, I actually wish that a medical nappy could be made like that, I like the fact that the wings are made from the same material as the backing instead of having the ‘breathable’ material on the wings which gives me little confidence because if it’s porous enough to be breathable, it’s also porous enough be a point of weakness for leaks, I just don’t know why no medical manufacturer has done this, I guess they’ll argue that breathable is better for the skin.

I have suggested to ABU that they should do a plain cloth backed version too

Reactions: soggybottoms8882
SamESpencer said:
Unfortunately I am thinking that governments will make them illegal because they are plastic.
All disposable diapers have some sort of plastic in them so that would be difficult

Reactions: espectro and soggybottoms8882
Can't predict the future, as Neils Bohr, a founding scientist of quantum physics with a sense of humor said: "Prediction is difficult especially for the future." Or Winston Churchill: " Only one link in the chain of destiny cane be examined at a time." I prefer plastic back diapers, but Little Kings are becoming one of my favorite diapers.

Cottontail said:
I'm an over-40 cloth preferrer. Yup! Seriously messed up, I know. :)

And here's my non-answer: As long as there's a compelling functional argument for regular old plastic, somebody's going to make plastic diapers, though they're liable to become increasingly expensive and "premium" as manufacturers transition to clothlike materials. For the sake of those who really can't stand the clothlike stuff, I hope plastic is available for many years to come.
You do know that clothlike is also made out of plastic, right? It's actually more of a hassle to turn perfectly good plastic into a clothlike abomination. The success of companys like Northshore and Betterdry for example might even lead to a resugence in plastic backed products. Less chafing and better odor protection are valid and superior points. Clothlike is just delusional. "See, it looks like cloth. Just like underwear. So don't be so sad that you have to wear diapers again, sweetie" Blech...

Cheers

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: soggybottoms8882, INTrePid, CptKirk and 3 others
I sure hope they don’t disappear. To me nothing is better and I would hate if plastic backed diapers were no longer available. I have a few that are not but for this girl I love plastic backed diapers.

• Love
LifeInPlastic said:
You do know that clothlike is also made out of plastic, right? It's actually more of a hassle to turn perfectly good plastic into a clothlike abomination. The success of companys like Northshore and Betterdry for example might even lead to a resugence in plastic backed products. Less chafing and better odor protection are valid and superior points. Clothlike is just delusional. "See, it looks like cloth. Just like underwear. So don't be so sad that you have to wear diapers again, sweetie" Blech...

Cheers
Pre. Cise. Ly. The industry is brainwashing everybody. Just because you put a saddle on a cow don't make it a horse, folks. #PlasticIsPlastic #EmperorsNewClothes #DontBuyTheLie

Last edited:
Reactions: soggybottoms8882 and LifeInPlastic
It's quite obvious that some years ago a few designers pitched the idea that diapers shouldn't be diapers, but 'super absorbent underwear', they set the goals to make incontinence products that would be practically indistinguishable from regular underwear.

Unfortunately for them the laws of nature requires a certain amount of material, thus thickness, to absorb a certain amount of liquid, so whatever they try, SAP and clothlike backing can only take them so far.

Last edited:
LifesAB said:
...so whatever they try, SAP and clothlike backing can only take them so far.
Today's diapers are built-in hypocrisy: people started whining about how 'wasteful' and 'ecologically unsound' disposable diapers were...so the makers made 'clothlike backing' for aesthetics, reduced pulp...and increased synthetic SAP. And the world swallowed it whole. Corporate brainwashing.

Diapers are no more earth-friendly than before. However, the pre-'90 disposable diapers with zero SAP were by far the most earth-friendly: the padding was 100% flushable with the waste, leaving the plastic, lining, tapes and, if applicable, elastic. But some numbskulls were flushing entire diapers down back then.

And now it seems the industry is fighting the newly-formulated bio-SAP...

Reactions: Subtlerustle
LifesAB said:
It's quite obvious that some years ago a few designers pitched the idea that diapers shouldn't be diapers, but 'super absorbent underwear', they set the goals to make incontinence products that would be practically indistinguishable from regular underwear.

Unfortunately for them the laws of nature requires a certain amount of material, thus thickness, to absorb a certain amount of liquid, so whatever they try, SAP and clothlike backing can only take them so far.
Wild take - cloth-backed diapers still absolutely look like diapers. Even the brief-style ones are very cleary distinguishable from regular underwear. Never heared of anyone who wanted to buy underwear at walmart just to be surprised that in the big 10 piece pack of Tena Mens contained not regular underwear. 🤣

Cheers

Reactions: soggybottoms8882
I'm a 60's baby and I remember wearing Cloth D's and P-Pants I also, was in them until I was 5-6 but after being caught playing with myself too many times. They were taken away and I had to deal with waking up wet almost every morning.
Well fast forward too today I've been 24/7 for around 10yrs now and in Plastic Backed Diapers currently wearing MegaMax diapers 24/7. I recently switched from Better Dry's because my incontinence has gotten worse (but I'm not complaining)and cloth backed diapers never worked for me!
:D

I hope plastic backed don’t disappear, if it looks like they will I will have to stock up!

• Love
Back