Discreet Diaper Disposal at a Hotel

BHDiaperLover

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I am staying at a hotel for work and wear taped overnight diapers every night. I don’t want to leave a bag full of used diapers for housekeeping every day (it’s every other day so it would be 4-5 per cleaning). I’m not used to hotel etiquette so I’m not sure the best way to dispose of my “laundry”. I also have coworkers staying on the same floor as me and I’d rather them not know that I wear. Any tips for me?

Also will they charge me if I leak on the bed?

Reactions: ILuvDiapers and Edgewater
I don't have personal experience, but this topic comes up regularly. For disposal, you can ask the front desk or a housekeeper for extra trash bags, so you can bag things more thoroughly/close up and discard the bags more frequently. Don't worry about the extra trash, they're used to it. Some people have mentioned leaving an extra tip, but...honestly, they get all kinds coming through, and are very used to it. Even if incontinent adults may not be the most common thing, families with young children and babies certainly are, and the trash isn't really that different, aside from perhaps the weight of it. It's also worth remembering that housekeeping staff are working at lightning speed. They're not at all likely to scrutinize the contents of your trash. They have too many rooms and too many trash cans to deal with in too short a period of time to care, by and large.

For bed protection, you can advise the hotel of the situation, and ask if they have a mattress pad they'd like to put in place, or you can supply your own disposable ones (or reusable, if you don't mind potentially having to deal with laundering them at the hotel). Some hotels will have mattress pads and covers available, some won't. From what I've read here, it seems most don't, but...you never know until you ask. If a leak onto the mattress does occur, simply advise housekeeping as soon as possible, so they can address it before stains and smells set in. There may be a charge in the event of such an incident, but mattress incidents are not uncommon whatsoever, and they're likely to be far more forgiving (including to the point of not charging a fee at all) if you promptly inform them of an issue. It's nothing they haven't seen before, and nothing to be embarrassed about. Someone who worked in hospitality was commenting on a similar thread a while back, and mentioned that they'd frequently swap the mattresses around between rooms, as a result of needing to quickly ensure that a room has a clean mattress for the next occupant, so...mattress messes happen, a lot.

Hopefully this was helpful!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: sfsjca, AttilaThePun, JourneyBear and 3 others
I bring extra bags with me when travelling so that I can double bag my used nappies and reduce odour for housekeeping and have never had an issue with housekeeping not being discreet about my trash in the countless hotels I have stayed in. I haven’t leaked on a mattress yet, so don’t have any advice in that regard.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Edgewater, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
I use the northshore bags. I put them in like a Walmart plastic bag works great

Reactions: AttilaThePun, newt, Edgewater and 2 others
From personal experience: just having small extra bags so every diaper can be individually packed (I just close the bag with a knot). I just leave my diapers in the regular bathroom bin, this one is usually emptied every morning by the cleaning staff. I see no need in any way to "hide" them extremely as they are in my eyes regular hygiene products just like female menstruation pads or tampons where also nobody expects that they are hidden! I know that I can rely completely on my diapers without leaking in the nights, so I personally have no need for any additional mattress protection.

Generell never had any issues with several (business) hotel stays! I never saw any need to inform anyone about my IC as I'm used to handle it discreetly and without any harm to mattresses or furniture by wearing diapers with a perfect fit and appropriate absorbency related to my IC.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, HalMidLife, Edgewater and 2 others
I wear a diposible diaper with rubber pants,I take a rubber sheet for the bed. diapers are well wrap in plastic bags.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Edgewater, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
At a hotel I tie a wet morning diaper up in a plastic grocery sack and put it in the room trash, or I sometimes take it with me on my way to going down for coffee and put it in the hall trash can. I have also carried out wet diapers in luggage and disposed of them off site somewhere like a gas station nearby.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, SoCalSwitch, Edgewater and 1 other person
messydiaper said:
At a hotel I tie a wet morning diaper up in a plastic grocery sack and put it in the room trash, or I sometimes take it with me on my way to going down for coffee and put it in the hall trash can. I have also carried out wet diapers in luggage and disposed of them off site somewhere like a gas station nearby.
I also have taken bagged diapers to the bin in the hall for disposal (usually by the elevators) of the bins in the room are small, or are getting too full.

Reactions: sfsjca, AttilaThePun, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
If you are concerned about a leak, personally I'd just bring my own disposable mattress protection pads, or if you can't find those, puppy pads are the same thing in a different bag. :LOL: If you leak, it's a little more trash that won't be noticed.

As a former hospitality housekeeping worker myself, trust me, they'll be relieved that it's only diapers and pads, and they're actually in the trash can. Many worse things does housekeeping see......

Reactions: DLScottsman, AttilaThePun, newt and 2 others
messydiaper said:
Just a side note here, some cities and towns have laws against disposing of trash in a receptacle, if the trash wasn't generated on that property. Just something to be aware of, before it catches you by surprise. I assume these laws are not well-enforced, but they do exist, and if someone doesn't like people dumping their trash at their gas station or the trash cans at their drive-through, they can get the police involved. A police officer in a bad mood might also just make a thing out of it, because they can.

I assume these laws exist for a number of reasons... One, to address businesses having to rent more dumpsters because people who aren't patrons (or even people who are) keep offloading their trash. Travelers with a lot of trash are once scenario there, but I could also imagine a situation where someone decides they don't want to pay for trash pickup at their home, so they just use their neighbor's or a local business' trash, instead. Two...this is purely speculation, but it would give police further grounds to detain people they suspect may be trying to conduct illicit transactions, that use trash cans as dead drops... Some versions of those laws that I've seen even bar people from using public, city-provided trash cans, if the trash was not generated on that specific city property. They don't just apply to private trash receptacles on private property. An interesting thought that occurs to me, though, is the question of what our environment would look like, how much more littering would occur, if these laws were widespread (they might be, I don't actually know about them beyond my local area) or if people were aware of these laws. Honestly, a world where those laws are widespread and people both know about them and actually follow them, would probably be pretty terrible.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: AttilaThePun, PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
I have traveled regularly for business and commonly attempt to stay at the same Hotels. I have told them in advance and they have accommodated my special needs as it was not that many years ago that cloth diapers were the only alternative to hose and bag.

You have received excellent advice above. My only addition is to be honest with the Hotel staff, as they will appreciate it!!

• Love
Reactions: newt and PadPhilosopher
DelC said:
Just a side note here, some cities and towns have laws against disposing of trash in a receptacle, if the trash wasn't generated on that property. Just something to be aware of, before it catches you by surprise. I assume these laws are not well-enforced, but they do exist, and if someone doesn't like people dumping their trash at their gas station or the trash cans at their drive-through, they can get the police involved. A police officer in a bad mood might also just make a thing out of it, because they can.

I assume these laws exist for a number of reasons... One, to address businesses having to rent more dumpsters because people who aren't patrons (or even people who are) keep offloading their trash. Travelers with a lot of trash are once scenario there, but I could also imagine a situation where someone decides they don't want to pay for trash pickup at their home, so they just use their neighbor's or a local business' trash, instead. Two...this is purely speculation, but it would give police further grounds to detain people they suspect may be trying to conduct illicit transactions, that use trash cans as dead drops... Some versions of those laws that I've seen even bar people from using public, city-provided trash cans, if the trash was not generated on that specific city property. They don't just apply to private trash receptacles on private property. An interesting thought that occurs to me, though, is the question of what our environment would look like, how much more littering would occur, if these laws were widespread (they might be, I don't actually know about them beyond my local area) or if people were aware of these laws. Honestly, a world where those laws are widespread and people both know about them and actually follow them, would probably be pretty terrible.
If you buy gas, you can "clean your car" a little, and that's a legitimate use of the cans at the station, arguably even a big part of why they're there. I've done that many times in years gone by. As long as the amount isn't excessive, no one will probably think twice. Even if it is, you probably won't get worse than an annoyed look unless you do it regularly at the same station.

But using random dumpsters? Big no-no. Fines and jail are not out of the question.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Edgewater
InvestigativePhilosopher said:
If you buy gas, you can "clean your car" a little, and that's a legitimate use of the cans at the station, arguably even a big part of why they're there. I've done that many times in years gone by. As long as the amount isn't excessive, no one will probably think twice. Even if it is, you probably won't get worse than an annoyed look unless you do it regularly at the same station.
Yeah... Like I said, those laws generally aren't well-enforced. It's not unheard of, though. I think I first heard of them after an officer went after someone for daring to discard some trash from their car in a city-provided curbside can. The city's stance in the legal headache that followed was that such cans are strictly for pedestrians, who generated trash while walking on the sidewalk, and not for people who have cars.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Edgewater
That said, I have no doubt that numerous people among the city's administration were extremely displeased with the officer in question.

• Wow
DelC said:
Yeah... Like I said, those laws generally aren't well-enforced. It's not unheard of, though. I think I first heard of them after an officer went after someone for daring to discard some trash from their car in a city-provided curbside can. The city's stance in the legal headache that followed was that such cans are strictly for pedestrians, who generated trash while walking on the sidewalk, and not for people who have cars.
There's an important distinction between gas station cans and city sidewalk cans; the gas station cans are privately owned by the gas station, whereas the sidewalk cans are "owned" by the city (I use quotation marks because ownership and stewardship are different, but a different discussion.) With the gas station cans, the gas station determines who can leave what, and as long as it's not excessive, they generally couldn't care less. As long as nothing illegal is being disposed, and no one working for the gas station complains, there is nothing the police can do.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Edgewater
I've never had any issues with hotels I usually bag the pad in a separate bag then seal the rubbish bag up so the housekeeping staff don't have to deal with them. I have once when staying at friends houses taken my waste out to municipal bins as I didnt want to clog up their bin with my waste no one ever said a thing to me but it's more faff than it's worth it's easier to just deal with housekeeping most hotel staff I've dealt with become aware of your issue even if your discreet about it and tend to leave you extra bags etc

BHDiaperLover said:
I am staying at a hotel for work and wear taped overnight diapers every night. I don’t want to leave a bag full of used diapers for housekeeping every day (it’s every other day so it would be 4-5 per cleaning). I’m not used to hotel etiquette so I’m not sure the best way to dispose of my “laundry”. I also have coworkers staying on the same floor as me and I’d rather them not know that I wear. Any tips for me?

Also will they charge me if I leak on the bed?
first off no they will not charge you if you leak. it would be best to let the hotel know up front. some hotels will put protection on the bed or you can bring a cheap mattress plastic mattress protector yourself. diapers and bedwetting are not a new thing for hotels so they are use to handling this. what we do is wrap each used diaper individually for housekeeping. do not create a large trash bag of multiple diaper allow the individual to be collected every day. you can wrap and dispose of them yourself in the hotel dumpster but those tend to be lock and hard to access so it is easier to allow housekeeping handle it. Most important is to tip housekeeping very well for the extra work. if you are not sharing a room with your co-workers they will never know even if they are stay in the room next to yours. be respectful of the hotel staff. depending on the length of stay many hotels you can have your diapers drop shipped to the hotel. a pad and bed protection should be used especially out of respect for the next guest. i have experienced where housekeeping upon returning to our room after it had been cleaned a fresh diaper along with my teddy bear placed on the bed for me. enjoy your trip and don't stress just takes some extra planning ahead

• Love
Reactions: AttilaThePun, Constantlydamp, Diprs2 and 2 others
So, you can notify/ask when you check in or on the phoneif they have any matress protectors...i've seen 50/50 on them having them.

I've also got in really late from flights and dont bother asking as wouldnt have for that min...

I've had some places that would actually put on on after seeing diapers in the trash, but that is a rarity.

If you took all resonable measures and still had an issue, just let housekeeping know, say your IC and had a leak, they are pros and have heard about every excuse and would like the honesty im sure, and I doubt they would charge, as i'm sure kids and adults it happens all the time.

As for disposal, just use the trash in the room, no big deal there, if you want to double bag them or whatnot you can, but i dont think it's that big an issue to warrant mission impossible style sneeking around and stashing them elsewhere or out in a dumpster.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Constantlydamp, Diprs2 and 2 others
InvestigativePhilosopher said:

But using random dumpsters? Big no-no. Fines and jail are not out of the question.
Yes indeed. I often toss out a diaper/pull up or two when I'm traveling and need to fill up the tank.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
Same as the others upthread, I'll normally get back to the hotel room at night, change out of my daytime diaper and into an overnight diaper, then in the morning put both of them in a disposal bag an either add it to the trash in-room if the pail is big enough, or carry it to the much larger trash cans that hotels frequently have in elevator lobbies or nearby.

Reactions: vaslav, Diprs2, Edgewater and 1 other person
Back