Discouraged

EastCoastIncon

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I had a rough night, my bladder was running like a broken faucet. Leaked through my pull-up, soaked the bed and my gf and I had to go to the couch. Despite changing a couple hours later I woke up to realize I had another leaked and left a wet spot on the couch. It was a long night of painful bladder spasms.

Now I feel like shit and have laundry and clean up. I feel guilty for the whole thing. I think I’m going to have to make the change to tabbed adult diapers at night 😕

What do you guys do after a rough night to get yourselves out of the dump? Trying not to let a bad night ruin my day

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, Hahaurfnuuy, Jorelaxed and 4 others
I don’t think there is any point of beating yourself up for leaking. It happens. Part of life.

It does sound like it’s time for something a bit better than pull-ups tho. You can’t control the wetting but you can control the protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: rennecfox, Diprs2, Hahaurfnuuy and 7 others
It took me a while to work out the kinks and manage to stop overnight leakage. So we put a full coverage mattress protector on our bed plus a protective pad under the fitted sheet. If I leak, now, all I have to do is pull off the soaked sheets, put on fresh ones and make the bed. And truth be told, it’s my wife who actually does it. No big deal.

Reactions: Diprs2, EastCoastIncon, EcoIncon and 3 others
A good quality diaper will minimize leaks, but they can still happen. Having a good mattress pad is a must.

When I have a leak, I change the sheets and get on with my day.

Reactions: Diprs2, AshtonFreecss, EcoIncon and 3 others
It isn't thy fault, thou'lt feel better next time with thy new diapers 🙂 *pat pat* 🫂😘

Reactions: Diprs2, EcoIncon and Happy2BeInNappies2
So well stated above!!

I have been 24/7, U-IC for 45 years and "Leaks Happen," Hmmm, sounds like something one should put on a T-shirt or something!

IC is a vast subject and especially what type one has and what ones symptoms are. Add the variations from wetting to wetting only complicates things even more.

I strongly believe in keeping a journal as it helps define changes. As you likely know, IC is a very important part of understanding ones Health! A change in ones continence can be an indicator of organ failure or weakening, plus the possible onset of a serious illness. As an IC, any change in your incontinent status needs to be reported to your MD, asap! Make An Appointment with your MD Tomorrow!!

Having a very long history with being U-IC, I have learned a very long time ago that one prepares for the worst and rejoice when one has a light wetting. Night time wetting, I use a NorthShore MEGAMAX tab style diaper and plastic pants! Because I truly dislike leaks and especially when someone else gets wet. You Need To Serious Upgrade Your Protection!!

FYI: If you wet it, you wash it!! Never leave it to another to clean-up after you!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Diprs2, EastCoastIncon, PaddedRita and 6 others
Everyone above has given great advice. Better diapers, see a doctor, and use a bed pad. To this I would add one suggestion to manage this... consider a diaper cover like these: Protec Briefs

One other question I would ask... Did you talk to your gf about it? I would make sure not to leave it unaddressed and talking about it might make you feel better.

You'll get through this! There's much more to you than this issue.

• Angry
Reactions: Diprs2, Diaperedff1, EastCoastIncon and 3 others
Bad nights suck and really bring into focus the trouble incontinence can cause in disrupting you life.

@EastCoastIncon, One night is one night, in other words only one data point; this does not indicate a trend. @Edgewater has the right idea, examine your history and if your bad night is rare then look at what transpired that day. Did you drink more than normal? Alcohol? Salty foods? Activity level? Weather?

If this is happening frequently, like weekly, maybe switch to something more absorbent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and newt
Get your self a soaker pad to go on your mattress
a tape on diaper should hold more and less likely to leak

Reactions: Diprs2, Constantlydamp, Edgewater and 1 other person
It happens, never let her go

Reactions: Diprs2 and Hahaurfnuuy
EastCoastIncon said:
What do you guys do after a rough night to get yourselves out of the dump? Trying not to let a bad night ruin my day
You adapt as best you can. Leaks can be prevented by keeping tabs on your fluid intake in the evening and wearing very absorbent diapers. Pull-ups do not fall into that category.

I sometimes have IBS attacks in the middle of the night. I had one recently. I try to figure out what I can do the next time to avoid that (in this case, a food trigger). Keeping a journal or mental note helps.

Reactions: Diprs2, Hemix and Edgewater
First thing: don't feel guilty. Being IC is a medical condition, not a choice, s it happens I think to all of us from time to time. And there are always good days and bad days, so there are also good nights and bad nights! I have combined dribble and urge IC, and my IC is nothing can rely on any patterns, so concerning my protection I try to be always prepared for the worst case. Especially for the nights (even married since many decades - what I'm wearing in the night has nothing to do with fashion shows...) I would never ever rely on any pull-up style protection but always wear a good quality tabbed full diaper; nothing is worse than waking up soaked and - even worse - include you beloved in that! But, as I said, accidents might happen, so be sure to have minimum also a mattress protector in place in order to limit the (financial) damage to a minimum.
As it seems you also have and understanding and supportive partner, I'm sure she also.will be very fine if you switch to a more appropriate protection in the nights!

Reactions: Diprs2, EastCoastIncon, newt and 1 other person
Echoing what others have said - I’d recommend giving your padding an upgrade - it may be time to bite the bullet and get some thicker taped diapers, at least for bedtime. Trust me, a thicker diaper is way less embarrassing than a leaking thinner one. Getting a mattress protector and/or plastic pants may help too.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

Reactions: Diprs2, EastCoastIncon and Edgewater
EastCoastIncon, you need to plan and prepare. First off, you mentioned wearing pull-ups to bed. Ditch them, at least at night. Get yourself a decent tabbed diaper. Yes, leaks happen. So, add a pair of plastic pants. Next, put a mattress protector on the bed and add a bedwetter's pad (washable pad) on top of that.

Pardon me for sounding critical, but I am double incontinent (bowel and bladder) and a bedwetter and have been so for a very long time. By trial and much error I have learned what works. Those of us who are incontinent and/or bedwetters cannot afford to ruin expensive mattresses and furniture. What I have mentioned may sound inconvenient, but thousands of incontinents have encountered the same challenges.

Good luck!

--John

Reactions: Diprs2, EastCoastIncon, Edgewater and 1 other person
Please Don't let it get ya down like that !
Your not the only one that had been thought that !
For myself I just grim a bear it and move on !

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, EastCoastIncon and 1 other person
It's life, it happens.

Why not just put a liner/chuck of cloth or plastic backed under sheets? They make full mattress protectors that aren't crinkley too.

On couch, put a chuck it under a big bath towel. Then if something happens, if disposable, chuck it, if washable, wash it. They make them in all kinds of sizes. If under a towel, you won't even notice. if under sheets, same.

You can often find them at Goodwill to try them out. The kind that are woven pattern on absorbent side are better IMO. The reusable washable kind can be big enough for the entire bed and will go unnoticed until something happens then it protects the bed. Or, just put one on your side.

Reactions: Diprs2, Constantlydamp and Edgewater
I wet heavily at night and my bed is protected with a fitter water proof cover and a large washable bed pad. I sleep in tena maxi slip or similar held in place with net fixing pants and then some padded washable inco pants. Finally a pair of Mylesta nylon waterproof pants. My sheet is a flannelette one. If I do leak everything stays warm and I sleep though until morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, Constantlydamp and Edgewater
Won't beat a dead horse. All above is great advice. Here's what I use at night ....Tranquillity ATN Tranquillity top liner boosterpads (I found 2 at a time works for me)a plastic mattress cover, and the desposible bedwetter pads from either pampers or huggie(because they have the corners that stick to the bed.) I've been u-ic for sometime now and like everyone else gone through all the feeling of wetting my and bed in front of someone I love. These feeling are normal, and you can overcome them. Goodluck, be safe

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and EastCoastIncon
Oh somehow the most important part of my bed time nightwear is the waterproof diaper cover. A must to cut down on leaks. And yes I've he'd leaks even with a cover on .

Reactions: CLPP, Diprs2, bdale and 1 other person
Darn spell check

Reactions: jdinvirginia, Diprs2 and Edgewater
Back