disability home aide worker

Finny

Autistic
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone here has ever had a disability support worker who visits your home. If so, did that person help you manage your incontinence or did you try to hide that condition from them? I'll be getting a support worker soon due to autism, but my medical records also say incontinence so the disability aide will know. I'm not sure how to deal with an aid coming and knowing I'm wearing diapers and seeing the others stacked in the cupboard.

Reactions: Diprs2, Monster3579, sport1 and 1 other person
They’ve seen it many times. They’d help you if you require it or give you helpful strategies or something to help yourself

Reactions: Diprs2, GatoChihuahua, DandyAndy and 2 others
Typically they will do an interview on or before their first visit, going through a predetermined checklist to discuss anything and everything. This allows them to customize your care based upon your needs. There are huge differences between someone needing acute care (temporary) versus chronic (ongoing) care. Likewise there are huge differences between people needing chronic care. Think about the difference needed in care required between you, someone with severe heart disease, and someone who is quadriplegic. Even in regards to autism, the spectrum is quite diverse, so you do not want a disability support worker to assume your level of ability, but to assess it. Answer questions honestly. Discuss everything, being respectful of them as a person. Understand the support you receive may be different than what you might be expecting.

Reactions: Diprs2, Monster3579 and DandyAndy
After the rehab center, A home health nurse was there once A day to help while mom was at work. I needed to do that myself.

Reactions: Diprs2
I am in the states so maybe a tad different for you . I have had a DCW for many years she changes, feeds, catheterizes ,dresses , helps with food prep , grocery shops , laundry etc
Any ADL you need assistance with will be factored into your care hours and schedule needs and requirements , you can be anywhere from supervised to full assist dependent on different tasks and activities , don’t downplay or overstate your actual needs , your starting a negotiation to increase your quality of life , for best results be honest about your strengths and weakness, your care will be reassessed at minimum yearly to complete nfirm or deny changes in level of care and adequacy of meeting your needs . Here in the states it’s called waiver services you have to be certified as “nursing home eligible” which translates they can help you live independently in the community for cheap or you can go into a nursing home and be really expensive , DCW care will cost about $28,000 vS a nursing home or congregare housing facility that will cost $68,000, be reasonable do it our way , you can’t afford to run your disabled into homes to get needed care without imploding the budget and crippling the health care sector , a recent governor of ours tried it and was fired after blowing a 3 billion dollar hole in the states budget thinking he could force us into homes and save money , he found out just how wrong he was !

I have support workers and live in a group home. I'm from the UK. I keep my nappy wearing discreet and don't let them get involved with that side of things although they know I wear nappies. My care manager sorts my supplies out and I email her when I need more supplies and she sorts it all out for me. Because I lack capacity with my finances she arranges for payment and shipment of nappies and my staff collect them when they are delivered.

Savant said:
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone here has ever had a disability support worker who visits your home. If so, did that person help you manage your incontinence or did you try to hide that condition from them? I'll be getting a support worker soon due to autism, but my medical records also say incontinence so the disability aide will know. I'm not sure how to deal with an aid coming and knowing I'm wearing diapers and seeing the others stacked in the cupboard.
I wish sometimes there was one for me.I don't need a group home can change my self.

sport1 said:
I wish sometimes there was one for me.I don't need a group home can change my self.

Guess it's the same for me, more of a psychological need than anything else. Psychological needs typically aren't reason enough for that sort of worker/support and understandably so. Best option for me is to find a platonic or romantic partner willing to fulfill that role.

Reactions: Diprs2 and sport1
BrattyPrincessSophie said:
Guess it's the same for me, more of a psychological need than anything else. Psychological needs typically aren't reason enough for that sort of worker/support and understandably so. Best option for me is to find a platonic or romantic partner willing to fulfill that role.
I'am older than you but when my wetting increased my wife who is somewhat younger had me return to diapers to keep things dry.

I am 57 Years old and have an intellectual and physical disability and Sophia are incontinentyears old and have an intellectual and physical disability. My Disability support workers undress, show, dress, my cloth nappies and plastic pants and change my wet Cloth nappies and Plastic pants.

Attachments

• F83927A3-E704-45C5-92BC-BAA5C29D106C.jpeg
    F83927A3-E704-45C5-92BC-BAA5C29D106C.jpeg
    992.2 KB · Views: 25
  • B458AA11-C78D-40E2-96F4-B1BF17BBAB97.jpeg
    B458AA11-C78D-40E2-96F4-B1BF17BBAB97.jpeg
    701.8 KB · Views: 22
  • C383429C-02BD-4999-A5FE-CFAD081A562A.jpeg
    C383429C-02BD-4999-A5FE-CFAD081A562A.jpeg
    939.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 576AC6B1-EFF9-4CE2-8091-1E581C2A8A09.jpeg
    576AC6B1-EFF9-4CE2-8091-1E581C2A8A09.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, sport1 and Finny
I don't know if ii could stand having a home health nurse.
They tried to send me one a couple years ago after i spent almost 4 months in the hospital.
When i have no reason to go out, i don't get dressed and will just wear a diaper all day.
Other times i get air time and just use a urinal bottle and set nude all day.

Last edited:
I am Autistic and have Cerebral Palsy.
I have never had any home health care aides.
Home Health Care Aides see disabled adults in diapers all the time and change them.
They did that to my Mom > 14 years ago before she passed-away, changing her poopy pull-ups and emptying her catheter bag., and bathing her.

Reactions: Diprs2, toddler and GatoChihuahua
caitianx said:
I am Autistic and have Cerebral Palsy.
I have never had any home health care aides.
Home Health Care Aides see disabled adults in diapers all the time and change them.
They did that to my Mom > 14 years ago before she passed-away, changing her poopy pull-ups and emptying her catheter bag., and bathing her.
Home health is different than community living disability programs

If you're able to, please take care of your own diapers. I'm a DL with a caregiver thanks to chronic kidney disease and rapid non-MS weakness in my legs, as well as some more recently developed IC issues. She knows I wear diapers, she even knows I wear prints, but I told her at the first interview that I didn't need her to take care of that aspect of my life. She understood and we moved on. She even washes and folds my onesies in my laundry.

There have been a small handful of times where, due to my own lack of planning, there was trash to bag up and take out and she bagged it and took it out to the dumpster. While I appreciate her willingness, and since my diaper use is still mostly for fun (however long that lasts), I feel pretty crummy and step up my efforts for the future. As we dive into our second year working together, I'm sure the only reason she could claim plausible deniability is because we've never had the conversation.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Finny
Here is the thing if your managing care on your own then should should keep it that way. But say you have days where you have trouble and need assistance, I would explain that but don't rely on an aid if you don't need it. I have a spinal cord injury and I am paralyzed but I live alone and manage ok, but I have had aids from time to time and have and times where I needed help and others where I didn't. Also I don't know your history but if you been taking care of yourself for most part but forget somethings and need reminders they maybe there for just that like they may remind you to check or change yourself. Like there are many people with mental health disorders who have disability workers that come into their home just to administer meds and check on their welfare, but everyone is different and needs are as well. As for them seeing your diapers I wouldn't worry about it as they probably see many people in them or see them in doing their jobs. When I worked in the hospital seen people of all ages in them and even had to help aids and nurses(wish I knew it was foreshadowing).

As someone mentioned above they are going to come in and it's like a interview and really see your needs and also probably inspect the house to make.sure it's a safe environment, but the thing is your doctor most likely had to write a script and orders explaining the need for them so they have a basic idea of your needs because their are aids or disability workers that have different skills, like the last ones I had helped with light chores, they did help with some daily living tasks but for me I liked my independence and even though I have bad days right now I personally don't feel I need them but I also have other forms of help like I put my trash near the door and neighbors take my barrels out, I have a landscaper. There is no shame in asking or getting help but don't ask for something you don't need more so in current climate people in that field are limited and if they are doing something for you that you could do on your own it takes time away from other patients who may be in worse situations. Even though I did most of my own changes last time I had some they still asked to do a skin check which I understand because with my disability skin break down is a huge risk so they may ask to check you skin and they may not and for me it's like going to the doctors and they want to check some help and some just stand there.

toddler said:
I am 57 Years old and have an intellectual and physical disability and Sophia are incontinentyears old and have an intellectual and physical disability. My Disability support workers undress, show, dress, my cloth nappies and plastic pants and change my wet Cloth nappies and Plastic pants.
I also have autism +dd developmental disability.My wife usually runs the show she dosen't incontinence she is lucky to be dry and not have to wear diapers.

SavSav said:
I've currently got a psychiatric aid worker. Since I let him read my discharge papers, he knows I'm incontinent.
Where I live, he doesn't get the full file, only information deemed important. For me that was PTSD and autism.

After I decided I can trust him, he's had his own share of mental health problems, and definitely is more understanding than I expected, I decided to let him read my discharge papers, and since then he's known that I'm incontinent. He's seen my room. I currently have problems organizing and packing away my stuff, so there is a lot of stuff in various boxes, taking up about a third of the floorspace of the room. I had a stack of diapers just sitting there.
It doesn't really come up, partially because it's not something that he is really very concerned with, and I don't need any help with.

Everybody’s different Sam need a little help others need a lot depending on their condition and how they eat and fix them for me I injured my back. I have problems with my right arm because of this causes a lot of pain this is the reason why I need a disability support worker to help me.

NinaAlex said:
I've currently got a psychiatric aid worker. Since I let him read my discharge papers, he knows I'm incontinent.
Where I live, he doesn't get the full file, only information deemed important. For me that was PTSD and autism.

After I decided I can trust him, he's had his own share of mental health problems, and definitely is more understanding than I expected, I decided to let him read my discharge papers, and since then he's known that I'm incontinent. He's seen my room. I currently have problems organizing and packing away my stuff, so there is a lot of stuff in various boxes, taking up about a third of the floorspace of the room. I had a stack of diapers just sitting there.
It doesn't really come up, partially because it's not something that he is really very concerned with, and I don't need any help with.
I have a dr but not as close as you.The only person who knows for sure about my incontinence is my wife.

sport1 said:
I have a dr but not as close as you.The only person who knows for sure about my incontinence is my wife.
Not sure if my GP knows, he's got reports from hospital that mention that I wear diapers, not sure if he read them well enough though.

I had to tell them in hospital when I got my orchiectomy, because they kind of needed access to that area to do the surgery.
I told staff during both stays in open psychiatric wards, because I'd need my best friend to bring me extra supplies, because I brought just one box, and that usually lasts for 4 weeks, but both stays were longer than that. The care staff just acknowledged it, asked if there is anything I needed, I asked for bin bags so I could discreetly bag the used diapers, and that was it. I don't think it was even mentioned in their discharge letters.
I also told the doctor who is going to perform the sex reassignment surgery on me, because of possible complications. She was quite confident that there wouldn't be too many complications if I'm careful about a few things. She said healing may take a bit longer, but that's about it.

I don't really hide that I'm wearing diapers when I'm at a doctors office, or in hospital. If I feel it could be relevant in any way, I just tell them.
I only once had a doctor a bit confused that I don't have a urologist, and I explained it's due to sensory issues that are due to my autism. But no problems at all otherwise.

• Wow
Back