Newbaby110521

A sweet diapered baby boy
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Other
I suffer from a disability and so normally spen three days in hospital once or twice a year. Now I have control of my bladder and bowels but enjoy using and wearing diapers has anyone had experience of having to explain your preference for diapers to the medical professionals while an inpatient at a hospital?

Reactions: Deleted member 57387 and littledreamers333
I doubt you'd have to explain anything, unless you're wearing a really babyish looking diaper.

Reactions: ik02 and AJFan2020
I'm incontinent and it's really no big deal. Depending on your condition they will or will not allow you to change yourself. Once "IC" is on your charts, it's on there and they will as questions.

Reactions: Joeysms and Pino
I’m a nurse and see it all the time. My hospital prefers us to use our diapers and wants us to change people. However, most nurses (including myself) are very open to able-bodies people (those who aren’t bed-ridden) to change themselves. If you have your own diapers from home that you prefer, I totally understand that!

Reactions: PaddedMI, Jk95, Jbo and 11 others
Fun fact!

My mother is a retired nurse who worked in ICU and many years in ER.

“when someone comes into er passed out drunk one of the first things we always do is put a diaper on the person”

A diaper to a nurse is nothing that unusual or something to be shamed of, they know what to do. You’ll feel awkward but just say “I’m wearing a diaper” and all will be good!

I wore a diaper to a medical office for routine blood work and ECG where your shirt is off and you’re laying down; my Crinklz diaper was clearly showing; not a word was said and the nurse laid a small blanket over to “keep me warm”.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 57387
Newbaby110521 said:
I suffer from a disability and so normally spen three days in hospital once or twice a year. Now I have control of my bladder and bowels but enjoy using and wearing diapers has anyone had experience of having to explain your preference for diapers to the medical professionals while an inpatient at a hospital?

The time that this happened, it was only one older lady nurse that was questioned exactly why. The younger nurses, many of whom were former veterans(awesome dudes btw) and my doctors didn't care.

They weren't super obvious abdl diapers. Just plain white ones.

Newbaby110521 said:
Doctors are sposed to be smart. Shouldn't have to explain anything to them. Let them figure it out all by themselves.

littledub1955 said:
Doctors are sposed to be smart. Shouldn't have to explain anything to them. Let them figure it out all by themselves.
I understand that and my doctor is smart. Smart enough to realise I needed that medication. But since I actually have control over my bodily functions and they know that I’d have to explain this is a personal choice. I mean I wouldn’t ask them to change me I can do that myself and I’d probably be uncomfortable having some random person change me but how do I explain that I like wearing and using diapers.

Reactions: BLtheDL
There have been times that medical staff has asked me about my diapers, and I explain, I have no bladder control and IBS issues. That stops them from asking anything else about me wearing a diaper. Since your diapers are more for you being/feeling safe and secure, all you would have to say is something like this, there are many times I can't make it in time to the bathroom so the security of wearing diapers allows me to life a quality of life that isn't always looking for a bathroom.

Reactions: Jim100, Deleted member 57387 and littledub1955
I don't have anything on paper explaining why I need diapers. The couple of times I was in hospital they simply noted I needed them, and brought my own, and didn't really care beyond that. I didn't even get questions.

• Love
Reactions: Jim100, littledub1955, checkingoutall and 1 other person
hanbanan said:
I’m a nurse and see it all the time. My hospital prefers us to use our diapers and wants us to change people. However, most nurses (including myself) are very open to able-bodies people (those who aren’t bed-ridden) to change themselves. If you have your own diapers from home that you prefer, I totally understand that!
In your professional experience have you ever come across a patient that wore diapers without any documented need? Additionally do you find that there is a fair amount of "office gossip" while at work? In other words do the nurses share stories about the patients you tend to while you are all at work?

Personally I would be much more comfortable wearing diapers for an inpatient procedure however I would be worried the whole time that all the nurses would talk about me behind my back as the "crazy patient" that voluntarily wants to wear diapers and everyone on the floor would know about me.

blueberry said:
In your professional experience have you ever come across a patient that wore diapers without any documented need? Additionally do you find that there is a fair amount of "office gossip" while at work? In other words do the nurses share stories about the patients you tend to while you are all at work?

Personally I would be much more comfortable wearing diapers for an inpatient procedure however I would be worried the whole time that all the nurses would talk about me behind my back as the "crazy patient" that voluntarily wants to wear diapers and everyone on the floor would know about me.
Our charts indicate that a person is incontinent, so, that’s our base. We don’t often get more information. I can’t recall anyone asking for a diaper without a need, unless they don’t have a catheter. We almost always diaper anyone who comes in drunk. We do have some office gossip, but I keep clear of it

Reactions: perlFerret and tails1234
I never had any need to explain it - well documented ic issues, as well as other issues, some obvious. Unfortunately (because of so many issues) while kept basically professional, the hospital I always use, I am on a first name basis with ALL the ER nurses (all shifts) and a lot of the ones on the in-patent floors, including private rooms (due to one issues, REQUIRED if no simi-private room where I would be the only one there), so even without looking - by now they all know of my ic issue, as well as no way can I take care of it on my own.
But they definitely like the fact I do provide my own. Theirs are total garbage, and hard to get on me in the first place (one size fits all!? More like xxxl!) And lately that has been PeekABU, one did ONE time mention she thought the pattern was "cute", but after all those times, I'm sure she already knew that would not bother me at all. They really like how easy they are to get on, and the tape so easy for them to grab. The high-capacity is a real plus, specially while sleeping. Because of hospital policy they do need to put on down anyway if known ic issues, but it was mentioned that with those diapers (also know I don't mind that word, in fact don't like trying not to use it.) the pad on the bed is not really needed. The diaper may well be soaked when I wake up, but the pad, bone dry!
And apparently those diapers are easy for them, even if out cold! Found that out after some injection - not sure what it was now - but OMG was it potent! Last I remember before coming out of it, about 18 hours later was just barley starting to put it in! - Pretty confusing since then I was in a totally different place in the hospital!

I went for a colonoscopy, and it was an hour drive to where the procedure was to take place. I thought it was going to be a disaster with the long drive after the preparation the day before. I’m a DL and had Abena L4 plastic back on hand as my go to diaper. So i wore one. Upon arriving, I explained at check in how far I had to drive and my concern about it. The nurse looked at me and said I hope you wore a diaper. I was shocked and relieved. I replied that I did. She said that’s good. There was even a place to dispose of the diaper in the room I went into to change into my gown. After it was over I wished I had brought an extra diaper to drive home with. I would not have felt weird about it at all after they made me feel at ease about it.

Rearzlover said:
I went for a colonoscopy, and it was an hour drive to where the procedure was to take place. I thought it was going to be a disaster with the long drive after the preparation the day before. I’m a DL and had Abena L4 plastic back on hand as my go to diaper. So i wore one. Upon arriving, I explained at check in how far I had to drive and my concern about it. The nurse looked at me and said I hope you wore a diaper. I was shocked and relieved. I replied that I did. She said that’s good. There was even a place to dispose of the diaper in the room I went into to change into my gown. After it was over I wished I had brought an extra diaper to drive home with. I would not have felt weird about it at all after they made me feel at ease about it.
Wow kind of a strange question to ask if you wear a diaper. Was it because you was so nervous?

Well, maybe it is a little different in Germany, but usually go to the same hospital, where the UDM took place, so they know simply.

Never got a comment on my diapers or pants, but never had to stay longer than some hours until now.

For a small operation i had to strip completely - the diaper also - i told them it could be a problem, but they said i would stay conscious during the op and should tell them when i get an urge, they would insert a catheter.
I got through the op without an accident, but at the end it was painful, i did not know at that time that the bladder would not release when i am lying on my back, so i got an urinary retention, what is really painful.

They gave me a bottle and i worked with abdominal press to release some urine.

Of course that would not happen again this way, now i got diagnosed with DSD so i would get a catheter for sure or do it myself - a diaper would be no help in this case.

For a longer stay i would bring my own stuff with me, catheters and diapers. I do not think that would be a bigger problem, perhaps they would like to insert a permanent catheter, especially when there is an operation with general anesthetic.

Until now no doctor or nurse ever commented my diaper, some ask for my daily use, but never questioned it.

Last edited:
I've recently been in hospital for surgery, the plan was up to three days, I ended going home the next day.

I've mentioned before that I'm incontinent, and no, I don't really have any paperwork about it.
For me, it's a sensory problem, that is likely due to my autism, and while I did manage to avoid accidents, doing so used to be very painful at times.
As less scheduled breaks made the problem worse later in my studies, I decided that diapers are just easier.
They put down 'psychogenic incontinence'.

I was treated quite well, nobody minded one bit, although they were surprised how much capacity my diapers have, and that the pad everyone had in their bed stayed bone dry. They seemed to be more used to diapers leaking at night. They also seemed to use just pads with the woman I was in a room with, and she only got diapers at night, and leaked twice that night. So no thanks, I'll bring my own, and keep my bed dry. What use are diapers that don't even help in keeping the bed dry. I was there about 24h, and they changed her sheets twice, because the pad on the bed wasn't enough to contain the leak.

I find it shocking that this seems to be normal, and my diapers, that just do what they are supposed to do, were treated as novel.

Reactions: LiddieBear, AttilaThePun, BabyJaden and 4 others
Back