Diaper solutions for occasional bedwetting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedmain

Contributor
I have occasional bedwetting issues (I would call it average about 1-2 times a week) and it is such a bitch to deal with that I am tired of not having some form of protection. With this being said I want to note a few things:

1) I am concerned that, even just wearing protection every night and not using by choice, I will develop a mental reliance that will cause me to bed-wet more often even when not wearing protection (i.e. going out to a friend's house).

2) Given that I should only need to use something 1-2 times a week, I would like to be able to reuse until that point (not just throwing away a disposable every night).

With all being said, I am wondering if there are any disposable diapers that can be or are designed to be re-taped and re-worn several times/days over before being used, or if I will have to stick with using something like training pants or cloth diapers (which for my college-style living situation would be quite difficult to work out logistically, however if I had to, what would you recommend along this avenue?)

Last edited:
On the nights you wet the bed are you doing anything different then on a dry night, if not and your bed wetting is random nights then all you can do to keep your bed dry is wear a diaper and unfortunately this all so means when you stay at a friends house.
There is allways a possibility that wearing a diaper at night may increase your bedwetting but if you do not use it by choice you should be ok, a velcro tapped diaper like rears new incontrol hybrid diaper may be a good choice as you may be able to get 2 nights out of one diaper if it stays dry and the padding does not breakup due to tossing and turning.

maybe decrease your water intake before bed?

I can "normally" have success if I dont have any fluid intake at least 4 hours before bed. Other than that my go to diaper is Betterdry/Crinklz. Good luck

instead of reusing a dry diaper for another night, I'd suggest using thinner diapers that are more economical. reusing even dry diapers can cause issues like clumping, tape failure, stretching shell, etc

If you wet the bed 1-2 times a week that’s more than “occasional”. And you really should be wearing a diaper at friends’ houses given you have around a 20% chance of wetting their bed!

Disposable diapers aren’t designed to be re-used, even if not wet... some kind of cloth solution might work for cost-saving, though (and be more reliable due to side padding).

Last edited:
Honestly, your best bet might be a cloth diaper or brief. Being that it is only an occasional issue, you’d end up spending a lot more over the period of say a year in disposables than you would cloth. Cloth diapers/briefs also are more discreet and can obviously be reused. They feel more like a typical undergarment than disposables do, so it could help you mentally and trick your body into not thinking you are wearing anything out of the ordinary.

I think first and foremost you might want to bring this up to your doctor. They could be an underlying medical issue causing it that could be treated as opposed to going the diaper route. Just my two cents though.

Perhaps it would be a good thing if you went to visit a doctor to find the cause of the frequent wettings, once or twice a week is not occasional, if the doctor say all is ok physically, then diaper up every night with whatever diaper will hold your wettings if you need to but fresh diaper every night would be best

I too agree with others on here in that i wouldn’t reuse disposable diapers, I am a bed wetter about 5 or more times a week and on the occasional dry nights, I find that the padding is clumped up in the crotch area of my fitted briefs , Also the tapes on the depends and attends that I wear are non forgiving and will tear the brief when trying to un tape them.
And if your wetting 2 or more nights a week, I would recommend diapers because a cold , wet bed is awful and depressing. At least u would be waking up in a warm , dry bed because of the diaper/briefs

While I think that you should go see a doctor about this, I would recommend using cloth diapers and waterproof pants. They have a higher entry point, but you can reuse then for years.

Reactions: NappiedTruckDriver
angelicprince said:
While I think that you should go see a doctor about this, I would recommend using cloth diapers and waterproof pants. They have a higher entry point, but you can reuse then for years.
I wet may be 2/3 times a month and yes I wear cloth diapers every night with plastic pants and haven't had a leak in months

First, see a Doctor. this could be a sign of something serious, Like Cancer, Multiple Sclerosis , Parkinson's, Diabetes, or a long list of infections that might have no other symptoms.

Disposables are disposable. While several have velcro tapes, most are ruined after a night of wearing. I can very occasionally get a second night out of a Tykable, but usually they need to be pitched regardless of wetness level.

A cloth diaper is reusable. while they have a long list of drawbacks, they're cheaper than a few weeks worth of disposables. I find them uncomfortable once wet, and I would be strongly motivated not to wet them at all. That may work in your favor to keep you from becoming dependent on them.

I wear cloth backed disposable and a full cloth over it. Given you are in college living situation, this could be the best. You don't need to wash the cloth diapers after every accident. From what I remember, drying clothes was a pain in college and definitely not private. Also the cloth all in one nappy will hold the disposable in place when the tapes aren't strong anymore. You can get 3-4 nights from any good cloth back disposable with this. It gets quite thick as a diaper, but that really works for me too, so hopefully it's not a problem for you

This post got long, so let me summarize first:

I'm in the same boat as you. Wear what you like/enjoy/can afford to wear. It should be one that will give you confidence, cause you'll sleep better. Going cheap might increase risk of leaks. Experiment with wearing length, for me it's 2 nights max. And consider going cloth, it might be your best bet in the long run.

I have a similar issue to yours. I do often wear *dry* disposable diapers two nights in a row... They don't really last a third night well. Crinkles/better dry have proven reliable for me for 2 night wear, as has northshore supreme/megamax.

Will wearing a diaper every night increase you need? NO, no it will not... UNLESS you *want* it to... and even then, from my experience, it more "preference" than need. I can choose to set myself up for failure and wake up wet more often then 1-3 nights a week, but thats me intentionally taking advantage of my week bladder & heavy sleep. People who have "trained" themselves to be bed wetters have simply taught their bodies to be more and more comfortable with the ability to wet laying down and intentionally place their bodies in a posture to NEED to empty their bladder at night. Even with this, I sometimes (not always) still wake up needing to pee... then I have to choose, get out of bed, or just let it out. If I'm on the second night of a disposable, I'll 90% of the time just let it go and roll over and go back to sleep =) ... I'm 11 years into nightly diaper wearing and my need now is no greater than 11 years ago... to be fair, the need ebbs and flows based on stress levels in my life, but that is different than this.

One person suggested wearing a thinner diaper and changing every night. for me... and others might have different experiences, but for me, thinner diapers always leak! I'm a side sleeper, so it doesn't take much for urine to come out the side and onto the bed. A diaper cover with a cloth layer on the inside fixes this, but I might as well wear cloth if I need a cover, IMHO. Betterdry absorbs fast enough that leaks are rarer with them.

That said, I do now wear cloth diapers with pul covers 50-75% the time. Frankly, I *like* plastic backed diapers more than cloth. I can feel little wearing plastic diapers, I don't feel little wearing cloth w/diaper covers... that said, I DO like waking up with a dry bed, and I do also like not wasting money on diapers that I don't use. Switching to cloth has saved me easily hundreds of dollars over the last year.

Zedmain said:
I have occasional bedwetting issues (I would call it average about 1-2 times a week)
I'm just going to echo everyone else here and say go see a doctor.

There's nothing wrong with having a fantasy for bedwetting, but if you're legitimately losing control 1-2 times a week even when you don't want to, that's way more than "occasional" and it could be a sign that there's something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back