Diaper Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenbiskit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I wear cloth diapers & use diaper pins. I got large diaper pins on line, I think from baby pants. the problem is the gauge of the wire is too heavy. This makes them very difficult to use. I have 3" regular safty pins however they don't have the look I want. I've seen other adult diaper pins on line but don't want more of the same. Any one out there have any suggestions?

use normal nappy pins for real babies, they will fit and are less likely to damage your cloth nappies. Don't use normal safety pins, you need ones with a locking cap. One tip is to rub the nappy pins through a bar of soap, this helps lubricate the pin and helps it slide through the nappy.

Reactions: WABX
Tried to use regular diaper pins. Tough to get good ones. Have tried soap thing. Helps but still tough

I got some from Walmart for mine and they work just fine.

They cost me a dollar for a pack of four.

They list them on their website but you have to see if they're in stock and buy from the store. (IE: They won't ship them.)

Yeah, I use baby diaper pins as they go through the cloth easier. You can buy them on line or at Walmart.

Reactions: Cottontail
I like the big pins, the scale works for me. They are a little harder to push through but not enough for me not to use them.

I use regular 2 & 1/2 inch diaper pins with plastic head on them. I have some metal-headed diaper pins but when I wear jeans my belt pushes them against my plastic pants and tears them. As they said, e-bay and other on-line stores have them. Di-D klips are also a good alternative.

Last edited:
I’m using pins that are fairly heavy gauge and aren’t that terribly sharp that I get in a pack of 50 from Amazon. They’re a different design in the head from normal safety pins or diaper pins in that they’re all wire formed into a shape that captures the point but doesn’t conceal it. I thought at first that they would puncture my plastic pants but that hasn’t been a problem. They are difficult to push through the diaper unless you “orbit” the head allowing the point to “hunt” its way through the weave of the cloth. You can use side to side or up and down but the orbit seems to work optimally. Although I’m not looking for the AB experience that you are this still should help you get your pins through your diapers I think. Hope it helps, stay padded.

I just recently got some 3" diaper pins from Changing Times Diaper Co and I'm
pleased with them. They're stainless steel and sharp with a fixed plastic head.
They go in my cloth prefold easily and stay closed with no problem.

Reactions: NappiedTruckDriver and steviet
I have the 3" pins from CTDC. 4" pins would be even better.

Reactions: NappiedTruckDriver
steviet said:
I have the 3" pins from CTDC. 4" pins would be even better.
oleman72 said:
I just recently got some 3" diaper pins from Changing Times Diaper Co and I'm
pleased with them. They're stainless steel and sharp with a fixed plastic head.
They go in my cloth prefold easily and stay closed with no problem.
Same here and they go through terry towel nappies ok

Reactions: oleman72
The baby kind work well for me. My favorite modern baby diaper pins are the Dritz brand. You can get them from Changing Times or just about any company that sells cloth diapers for babies.

That said, though they're available in various pastel "baby" colors, they're not super babyish. My all-time favorite diaper pins are true vintage 50's/60's/70's baby diaper pins with the duck-, chick-, and bear-shaped heads. And there are many other shapes as well. These old pins are not only cute, but have very sharp points and gradual tapers that make pinning a breeze. I especially like the Reddy brand. Keep an eye out for these on eBay, as you'll occasionally spot brand new packages of them. Used is often fine also. I've collected well over 100 of these old pins and they're absolutely my go-to pins.

...but beware the look-alike Chinese pins from the 90's and after. You'll often see these selling on eBay in large bulk lots and claiming to be vintage. If the image shows dozens of the same pin and no packaging, stay away. They're garbage. Also anything with "novelty" on the package is definitely from the late 80's or later, and will be of poorer quality.

I still have some of those old "ducky and bunny" cloth diaper pins from when our children were little. I've also discovered that the tips of diaper pins will actually bend and that's why they can be hard to get through cloth. I've taken a metal nail file and filed the burr away making the tip like new and very sharp. It lasts for awhile until it eventually burrs and then I file them again.

I have one single ducky pin. It was from when I was actually a baby so I would never use it for pinning on my diapers now. It's special to me. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back