Diaper leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm would an external catheter in a diaper work for this though? Anyone tried that?

ClickyKeys said:
Hmm would an external catheter in a diaper work for this though? Anyone tried that?

What would be the point of having an external catheter draining into your diaper? It would be no different than just peeing in your diaper.

- - - Updated - - -

vonlindeiner said:
What does that mean?

It means folding the diaper in half- lengthwise. This creates a channel that helps direct pee to the back of the diaper. Thereby maximizing your use of the diaper.

Slomo said:
What would be the point of having an external catheter draining into your diaper? It would be no different than just peeing in your diaper.

The question was for people that require catheter due to blockage or other reason that prevents urination.

NorthShoreAdam said:
The question was for people that require catheter due to blockage or other reason that prevents urination.

Oh, then no it wouldn't work. For blockages you physically need the tube through your urethra to force that blockage back open. Take out that tube, and the blockage just closes right back up.

An external catheter will only collect any pee that is already, involunatiarly, leaking out. It will not force you to pee in the first place like an intermittent or folley catheter will.

And just for clarity, intermittent catheters are just straight tubes. They do not have a ballon, and are intended to be inserted to let your bladder drain right away, then are immediately removed. Folleys have that ballon so they can stay in place and let the bladder continuously drain over time.

Slomo said:
Oh, then no it wouldn't work. For blockages you physically need the tube through your urethra to force that blockage back open. Take out that tube, and the blockage just closes right back up.

An external catheter will only collect any pee that is already, involunatiarly, leaking out. It will not force you to pee in the first place like an intermittent or folley catheter will.

And just for clarity, intermittent catheters are just straight tubes. They do not have a ballon, and are intended to be inserted to let your bladder drain right away, then are immediately removed. Folleys have that ballon so they can stay in place and let the bladder continuously drain over time.

Yes, seems like this would only be possible with Foley, but also curious if anyone is also draining into diaper with other catheters and why.

NorthShoreAdam said:
Yes, seems like this would only be possible with Foley, but also curious if anyone is also draining into diaper with other catheters and why.

Most likey they are not. Intermittent type catheters do not stay in. Once inserted, if you let go they will be naturally pushed out. They are really only good for one full emptying, and require good access down there to use them so diapers would actually get in the way.

With external catheters, they don't affect or limit how much you do or do not pee. So there wouldn't be any difference than just peeing in a diaper, versus peeing into an external catheter that then drains into a diaper.

The only other major catheter type out there is folley. There's coude catheters too, but they also stay in the bladder long term just like folleys. Both types are intended to allow the bladder to constantly drain. It's only with these where it would make sense to let them drain into a diaper instead of a bag.

Hope that helps.

Slomo said:

Since you could position the outlet of the catheter to be more to the rear to utilize the rear of the diaper more and so I don't have to worry about my masculine appendage having become pointed towards the side for one reason or another. I was wondering if an external catheter could work like that to have it so the liquid comes out more towards the rear of the diaper than the normal position near the front that causes it to overfill the front before the back even gets wet.

ClickyKeys said:
Since you could position the outlet of the catheter to be more to the rear to utilize the rear of the diaper more and so I don't have to worry about my masculine appendage having become pointed towards the side for one reason or another. I was wondering if an external catheter could work like that to have it so the liquid comes out more towards the rear of the diaper than the normal position near the front that causes it to overfill the front before the back even gets wet.

Aahhh, yeah I can see that now. An external catheter with a tube attached that directs the pee back down could make a difference. Especially if you are flooding a diaper that isn't intended to handle many floodings. Personally I always just used premium diapers that were good enough to allow me to point up while still being able to handle it all. Still, this could help with using lesser diapers like Abena or ABU. I haven't tried it myself, but it's worth investigating. If you do try it, let us all know if that works or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back