Diaper Cream— How Do You Feel About It?

TungstenWrist

Longing for something so far out of reach.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Diaperfur
I got curious, so I searched “baby powder vs diaper cream” to see folks opinions on which is better. Found a Reddit post where parents discussed this topic, and plenty of people suggest that diaper cream is better, but I’m wondering how you adult wearers of diapers(especially those who wet/mess) feel. It’s not something that’s brought up a lot. People seem to like the feeling and smell of baby powder and hardly acknowledge diaper cream, so I don’t know what anyone thinks about it? Is it any fun? Is it practical as an adult in a way baby powder isn’t?

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater, ianwee and KBoy
I like it sometimes on the inside of my leg where the bottom of the diaper can rub when walking.

Reactions: Edgewater, diapeybabybrian, ianwee and 3 others
as someone in diapers 247 skin care is important
both powder & creams play a vital role
Zinc oxide cream for rashes & water barrier
Powder to absorb sweat

frequently change
clean the diaper area every change
shower daily

Reactions: Edgewater, Lethdale, ianwee and 6 others
I like both in their intended purposes but I don't like how the creams are really hard to wash off your skin

Reactions: Edgewater, Seasonedcitizen, ianwee and 4 others
Littledragon87 said:
I like both in their intended purposes but I don't like how the creams are really hard to wash off your skin
Wear gloves while applying
Zinc oxide is very hard to wash off

Reactions: Edgewater, Seasonedcitizen, ianwee and 5 others
Aquaphor Baby 3 in 1 cream says it "wipes away easy"....which is total BS.

• Haha
Reactions: Edgewater, KBoy and BobbiSueEllen
SparkyDog said:
Wear gloves while applying
Zinc oxide is very hard to wash off
I do but I mean when you clean your nether region

Reactions: Edgewater, KBoy and BobbiSueEllen
After my morning shower I use Aveeno diaper cream. It contains dimethicone which hospitals use on the feet of diabetics. It works well and is supposed to last for 24 hours.

Reactions: Edgewater, Lethdale, Seasonedcitizen and 1 other person
Littledragon87 said:
I do but I mean when you clean your nether region
Odd never have that issue by shower time it's absorbed / worn off / in the diaper
some soap and nice and clean
i apply cream right after shower and its good for the day

Reactions: Edgewater and KBoy
From my personal experience with rash creams, as long as you give it a little air time to absorb into the skin and not putting on too much,makes it not so much of a burden.

Reactions: Edgewater
SparkyDog said:
as someone in diapers 247 skin care is important
both powder & creams play a vital role
Zinc oxide cream for rashes & water barrier
Powder to absorb sweat

frequently change
clean the diaper area every change
shower daily
This.

If you are 24/7 or IC, barrier cream is as important as really good hygiene. Even more so if you are F-IC. Zinc cream is a must-have for treating and preventing rashes.

I use unscented palmer's cocoa butter for a base lotion / barrier, then usually put a small bit of zinc cream over the top of it, where treatment or protection is needed most. I find that plain vaseline or zinc barrier dries the skin badly. A base coat of lotion really makes a huge difference. It doesn't take much. Cocoa butter is one of the best treatments for your skin! I find the unscented cocoa butter to be superior to the scented, fwiw.

I once got jock itch and I'm pretty sure it was wearing diapers that caused it. I never want to experience that again!

After it was cleared up, I've always used sudocrem. It's got both antibacterial and antifungal properties. I've never had an issue since.

Doesn’t diaper cream degrade the elastics in most disposables so they lay flat and fail to do their job?

I12BLittle89 said:
Doesn’t diaper cream degrade the elastics in most disposables so they lay flat and fail to do their job?
Some disposables, yes. Never had this issue with tykables or incontrols so far. I think ABU has a warning about this on their site, for the sake of conversation. Always best to test things at home first.

Don't gob it on - a thin coat is all you need. This will help stop glues from degrading, or the padding getting bound up with oil or grease and preventing absorption.

Reactions: Edgewater and I12BLittle89
I12BLittle89 said:
Typically this takes significant time.
If you get it on the front of the diaper of course your tapes won't work. Cream does not break down the diaper quick enough between changes.

Reactions: Edgewater and I12BLittle89
I like vaseline myself, maybe a bit of powder when I’m not around others who might wonder about the smell. I am not IC nor 24/7 though and I’m sure my opportunity to not wear allows much more liberties when it comes to the skincare component than if I were. Also the more recent abdl diapers of the last few years do seem to withstand the vaseline much better than the diapers of yesteryear. I have used shea butter in the past and found it nice as well, but I still prefer vaseline.

I use a few things. If there is any signs of soreness I will give a good coating of sudocrem. Smooth it in then sprinkle with J&J Powder ( we can still get it in the UK) . Recently I bought some liquid talc which has a very nice smell. Just massage it in and leave to dry. Its very good in my opinion. This is what I use, If you shop around you can find it for as little as £1 online
. Talc.jpg

I was at the supermarket reading the ingredients and some said Petroleum. They mean petroleum jelly/vasiline. It is a holder for the other ingredients.

I'll use Desitin if I ever get diaper rash bad enough. I gotta pay the piper if I wanna stay in diapers. 🫢🤭

TungstenWrist said:
I got curious, so I searched “baby powder vs diaper cream” to see folks opinions on which is better. Found a Reddit post where parents discussed this topic, and plenty of people suggest that diaper cream is better, but I’m wondering how you adult wearers of diapers(especially those who wet/mess) feel. It’s not something that’s brought up a lot. People seem to like the feeling and smell of baby powder and hardly acknowledge diaper cream, so I don’t know what anyone thinks about it? Is it any fun? Is it practical as an adult in a way baby powder isn’t?
I use a cream that’s like cavillon and feminine powder. So both lol anything that lowers chances of smells

Back