Developmental Inventory

FootiePJ

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
I am posting this in the off-topic section, because it really doesn't have anything to do with being an AB. So recently I had a friend who knows about my issues give me a developmental assessment to determine my level of functioning. The results really are helpful in explaining why I have so many issues is my day-to-day activities. My results are as follows:

Adaptive domain
Self-care - 3 yrs, 10 months
Personal Responsibility - 6 yrs, 2 months

Social-Emotional domain
Adult Interaction - 4 yrs, 1 month
Peer Interaction - 6 yrs, 6 months
Self-Concept and Social Role - 5 yrs, 4 months

Communication domain
Receptive Communication - 6 yrs, 9 months
Expressive Communication - 6 yrs, 3 months

Motor domain
Gross Motor- 6 yrs, 0 months
Fine Motor - 6 yrs, 11 months
Perceptual Motor - 5 yrs, 6 months

Cognitive domain
Attention and Memory - 5 yrs, 7 months

I plan to get into a doctor with my concerns, so that I can get my disability further documented, and so I can qualify for Medicaid and possibly get a live-in aide when I move out of my parents house.

Last edited:
Reactions: longallsboy
This is interesting. What is your friends profession or expertise that he can give you a developmental evaluation that you can use for a formal application of aide?

To give the assessment, the publisher only requires a Bachelor's degree in psychology, education, occupational therapy or related field. My friend is a case worker who works with families and children, and is enrolled in an MSW program. Since she isn't a doctor, I can't use these results to apply for Medicaid. However, since I do have NF1, autism spectrum disorder, and ADHD, I can go to my neurologist, and say that due to my performance on the developmental inventory, I want to see about being further evaluated, so that I can request a live-in aide once my Medicaid application is approved. I am hoping that since I have so many deficits I can get a live-in aid; I also want to be evaluated with an assessment meant for adults so that I can have evidence to support my TPD application, so that I can get my student loans discharged.

DanielW said:
Typically, if you can manage your own bladder and/or bowel program (or change your own diapers) and you can get in and out of bed un assisted, you won't qualify for live-in assistance. Even if it isn't safe for you to cook they will only approve a certain number of hours per month to have someone prepare food etc.

And if you have cognitive issues that make it unsafe for you to live alone, they will push for a less expensive option like group-home care.

Be careful when making requests for services, you can end up in a situation you don't want and don't like.
I defiantly don't want to be in a situation I don't like. I have an FSIQ in the low-normal range(85-100) and I have a job as a sub teacher, so I wouldn't need 24/7 care during the work week; I would stay with family on the weekends. I could get by without overnight care, it might take a few weeks to get adjusted being alone at night though. Group homes are very expensive, they average about $78,000/year. I figure if I am able to get after-school care 4 days a week, and 12 hours of care 1 day a week during the school week, that amounts to about $21,000/year for the 36 week school year; for school breaks, I could probably get by on 11 hours a day, 5 days a week, so the remaining 16 weeks in the year would be about $18,000/year, which brings the total cost of care for the year to about $39,000, which is much cheaper than a group home. While I can change my own diapers, I can't feel when I need to go or be changed; I have a spinal tumor C4-C6, which causes motor coordination problems as well. My psychologist has already said they want me to undergo occupational therapy, so that I can learn skills I need to live independently. I might consider doing that while I wait for a rent-subsidized apartment to become available.

Allright FootiePJ, if no one else will, now that I understand a little bit more here. I have to address the elephant in the room.

On the one hand you have an evaluation that says you:

Adaptive domain

Social-Emotional domain

Communication domain

Motor domain

Cognitive domain

From the above, if I understand this correctly you can not function, understand, or communicate at any level beyond 7 years old.

Yet you are a Substitute Teacher, and have presented a rather concise, properly formatted, spelled and thought out presentation on why you are not capable of caring for yourself, paying for your supplies and paying off your student loans.

The fact that you have student loans tells me you have at least a few years of higher education which means you are not a sub 7 year old intellectually. The fact that you have obtained a position as a substitute teacher says you were able to present yourself to at least some minimum standard and the school system trusts you to take care of children. So which one is it?

I am completely missing something here. The disconnect is where this evaluation shows you currently versus your level of education and employment and that you are asking for public assistance and the forgiveness of your student loans as well as a subsidy for housing.

I will say it out loud... it does not work for me. You may truly have a disability due to your back and there should be some consideration for that. But to me it sounds like you are trying to get as much of a free ride as you possibly can. If that is so, you may want to dumb down your communication skills prior to presenting your self to any disability judge. As you sound like a pretty smart guy to me.

If I am not interpreting your social worker evaluation correctly please set me straight so I can understand your dilemma better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puppers89, dogboy, LittleBoyInTheRedHoodie and 2 others
I'm sorry to hear your condition has become so much worse. I noticed that back in 2014, you still played basketball and other sports on a daily basis and took interest in finance, economics, engineering and attending local legislation. I really wish you can still enjoy some of your hobbies despite your condition. Best wishes.

Last edited:
littlemoosey said:
Allright FootiePJ, if no one else will, now that I understand a little bit more here. I have to address the elephant in the room.

Adaptive domain

Social-Emotional domain

Communication domain

Motor domain

Cognitive domain

From the above, if I understand this correctly you can not function, understand, or communicate at any level beyond 7 years old.

Yet you are a Substitute Teacher, and have presented a rather concise, properly formatted, spelled and thought out presentation on why you are not capable of caring for yourself, paying for your supplies and paying off your student loans.

The fact that you have student loans tells me you have at least a few years of higher education which means you are not a sub 7 year old intellectually. The fact that you have obtained a position as a substitute teacher says you were able to present yourself to at least some minimum standard and the school system trusts you to take care of children. So which one is it?

I am completely missing something here. The disconnect is where this evaluation shows you currently versus your level of education and employment and that you are asking for public assistance and the forgiveness of your student loans as well as a subsidy for housing.

I will say it out loud... it does not work for me. You may truly have a disability due to your back and there should be some consideration for that. But to me it sounds like you are trying to get as much of a free ride as you possibly can. If that is so, you may want to dumb down your communication skills prior to presenting your self to any disability judge. As you sound like a pretty smart guy to me.

If I am not interpreting your social worker evaluation correctly please set me straight so I can understand your dilemma better.
Yes, while I have a job, I have been having to mask my neurological disabilities by trying to act normal my whole life. I have low average intellect, so I I am able to have some type of employment, but the amount of hours I am able to work is not sufficient to support myself without some type of assistance. The differences between my intellect and disabilities could be due to many factors, such as my neurofibromatosis, the fact that I was on a combination of Dilantin and phenobarbital from the time I was 3 until I was 12, my ASD and ADHD, my cervical spinal tumor and other health factors. To get a TPD discharge, an individual's income has to be under 100% of the FPL for a family of 2 for 36 months, that is the income limit that constitutes substantial gainful activity. Since I have been an adult, I have only made over that one time. I am not looking for handouts, I am simply trying to move out of my parents house and live on my own. I am able to communicate my thoughts well, because I type all of my post in Microsoft Word, and I use the Grammarly extension.

• Sad
ElPulpo said:
I'm sorry to hear your condition has become so much worse. I noticed that back in 2014, you still played basketball and other sports on a daily basis and took interest in finance, economics, engineering and attending local legislation. I really wish you can still enjoy some of your hobbies despite your condition. Best wishes.
My condition has only started getting worse within the past year; I think one reason is because I haven't been able to do things within my range of interest. In 2014, both of my parents still worked, so when I was at home during summer days or school breaks, I would watch PBS Kids all day, play with my magnetic tiles, read with my stuffed animals, put 100+ piece puzzles together etc. When my mom retired, I could no longer do any of that, because it annoys her when I would do such things, and she would go so far as to tell me how inappropriate it is for a grown man to do those things and I should be embarrassed for still playing with toys and watching children's programs.

• Sad
FootiePJ said:
Yes, while I have a job, I have been having to mask my neurological disabilities by trying to act normal my whole life. I have low average intellect, so I I am able to have some type of employment, but the amount of hours I am able to work is not sufficient to support myself without some type of assistance. The differences between my intellect and disabilities could be due to many factors, such as my neurofibromatosis, the fact that I was on a combination of Dilantin and phenobarbital from the time I was 3 until I was 12, my ASD and ADHD, my cervical spinal tumor and other health factors. To get a TPD discharge, an individual's income has to be under 100% of the FPL for a family of 2 for 36 months, that is the income limit that constitutes substantial gainful activity. Since I have been an adult, I have only made over that one time. I am not looking for handouts, I am simply trying to move out of my parents house and live on my own. I am able to communicate my thoughts well, because I type all of my post in Microsoft Word, and I use the Grammarly extension.
Ok thank you for expanding for me. I hope you can find some help and get on your own.

FootiePJ said:
I am posting this in the off-topic section, because it really doesn't have anything to do with being an AB. So recently I had a friend who knows about my issues give me a developmental assessment to determine my level of functioning. The results really are helpful in explaining why I have so many issues is my day-to-day activities. My results are as follows:

Adaptive domain

Social-Emotional domain

Communication domain

Motor domain

Cognitive domain

I plan to get into a doctor with my concerns, so that I can get my disability further documented, and so I can qualify for Medicaid and possibly get a live-in aide when I move out of my parents house.

Very interesting. I need to take this myself for sure. What is this test called? I'm pretty sure that I would score on the level you are on. I never took a test like this, but almost everyone (with very few exceptions) in their mind thinks like I function emotionally and socially like a 4 1/2 to 5 year old. I do know lots of people, including former college professors, that have master degrees, a lot of them doctorate degrees, that said I don't even function like 4 to 5 year old sometimes. Rather even like a 3 year old. I have to say there are 4 1/2 year olds who function better than me in certain skills - like in social skills, in emotional / social aspects, and even in attention span. I highly suspect that if hiring 6 year olds was legal, some of my ex-bosses would hire a 6 year old over me in a heartbeat. A 6 year old could work in an office as a receptionist without being distracted every 20-25 minutes or walking around the office distracting everyone else in the process of doing so. What people don't always realize about Autistic people like us is that they just look at us and think we aren't like young children intellectually. Yes, in some ways, I'm rather smart and I'm not exactly close to being intellectually disabled. But there is more than one component of measuring how developmentally advanced people are. As you pointed out indirectly by the results of the test you took, most of the items that you scored like a preschooler in had nothing to do with intellectual functioning; they were based on social skills or attention skills or motor skills. I know a little boy with Autism and ADHD, in Eastern North Carolina who is 8 years old from Facebook, and have known his mom and my family for 4 years now. She has a blog on Autism and education. She has three older children in their teens, but the youngest, is 8. Although he is 8, he is in a hamster wheel of acting like a 2 year old. The kid is very bright in some ways. He is a Geography whiz - he can identify every nation on a map...he knows how to pronounce Sri Lanka correctly even. He can identify what flag is from any country. Like, if you show him a flag of Mongolia, and don't tell him it's a Mongolian flag, he'll tell you it's a flag from Mongolia. He is a savant in some ways. However, his doctor says that he is a 9 on the Autism scale of severity (1 being mildest, 10 for most severe), and I'm sure that I would be very high too in severity. He can talk fine now, he has ADHD and talks a lot. Some words are all not understandable, but I was like that at age 8, too.

The 8 year old wore long-alls / jon jons, kneesocks, and T strap Mary Jane shoes till he was about 5 1/2 years old. Of course, that style of dress is very common among little boys in Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas, etc.

More in next note.

I like you. 💜

Take care

- longallsboy

Last edited:
littlemoosey said:

Adaptive domain

Social-Emotional domain

Communication domain

Motor domain

Cognitive domain

None of the things (from the test that he took) have anything to do with intellectual function, and he never said that he was intellectually disabled. It's not just about intellectual functioning that determines how a person navigates the world. I am like a 4 1/2 to 5 year old emotionally and socially, and while my intelligence is normal, that doesn't tell you anywhere close to the story about me. There are actual nonautistic 4 and 5 year old children that are more advanced than me in certain things, and have a better attention span. Most young children can see this side of me. I was an unpaid assistant volunteer / co-host at Preschooler Storytime at my local library for 16 years, once a week, on Thursdays, until COVID 19 pandemic closed down the library in 2020. I have a BA degree in Geography. You would be surprised.... most Autistic people who have advanced college degrees (masters and doctorate degrees even) are not as emotionally and socially as advanced as you might think. I've read numerous scientific reports that it isn't unusual for college graduates who have Autism Spectrum Disorders to have emotional / social ages around 7 to 11 years old. Probably that is the reason why the unemployment rate for Autism is very, very high. 35% of Autistic people have college degrees (in comparison to 32% of nonautistic people in the USA having degrees). The unemployment rate for Autistic college graduates is 80 to 85%. There are no minorities that have such a high unemployment rate. Not even those with Down Syndrome (21% unemployment). Not even criminals convicted of the worst imaginable crimes. We obviously do not have jobs because we can't "fit in" with the rest of society, and the vast majority of Autistic people are more law abiding than your average citizen. The vast majority have no criminal record at all. Yet we don't get treated too well by society.

Bottom line, not everything is about intellectual functioning. Some people who have intellectual disabilities are more mature and do better than me don't lack social skills like I do or footiePJ.

- longallsboy

Last edited:
FootiePJ said:
My condition has only started getting worse within the past year; I think one reason is because I haven't been able to do things within my range of interest. In 2014, both of my parents still worked, so when I was at home during summer days or school breaks, I would watch PBS Kids all day, play with my magnetic tiles, read with my stuffed animals, put 100+ piece puzzles together etc. When my mom retired, I could no longer do any of that, because it annoys her when I would do such things, and she would go so far as to tell me how inappropriate it is for a grown man to do those things and I should be embarrassed for still playing with toys and watching children's programs.

Ever since COVID 19 began, I have been wearing this long-all that I had an actual mom from eBay make for me several years ago and these T strap shoes I got on eBay (vintage Start Rite T strap shoes from the early 1990s / late 1980s) more often to my county park. I actually used the outfit as a costume for Halloween 2019 when I was attempting to be the 8 year old Autistic son of my friend (who was 5 years old at the time) because he was wearing long-alls and strap shoes at the time. So I was being a lookalike of him for Halloween. But then COVID 19 pandemic happened which made me stay at home most of the time because I live in a state has one of the strictest COVID 19 restrictions. It got so bad that I had a stomach ulcer in April 2020 for 4 weeks that was bad. Almost started bleeding. When I got better, my local county parks were opened. Early May 2020. I was going to do whatever it took to make me be more cheerful. I took some proton pump inhibitor (Prilosec) for a week. From that point on, since May 2020, I've been literally wearing that longall and T strap shoes to my county park every week when I could take a 1 1/2 hour long walk, with no end. I'm actually trying to get a children's shoe company in Spain to make me a tan / cowhide colored (which I call "burnt orange" in color) T strap leather shoe in my size. I am willing to pay whatever it takes. There will be definitely a minimum amount of pairs involved (25 pairs probably) so it may get costly. I have an idea for another longall too - a primary plaid gingham longall.... - to be made. What does my mom think? Well....she understands and actually agrees that I am indeed emotionally and socially like a 4 1/2 to 5 year old, but she also says that that doesn't mean that I have to dress like a 4 year old. 😥😥 I don't think even dressing like a 4 year old is the real problem. I have two nephews who are 5 and 9 years old, and they don't wear long-alls and T strap shoes. There's clearly a hip modern children's clothing way of dressing and a more traditional old fashioned way like a child from the 1980s like overalls or long-alls or T strap shoes or saddle shoes. Where I live, mostly I see little kids wearing the modern look. Not dressy by a long shot. Most little boys (99% of them, unless they are the rare little boy who is a transplant / or relocated from the Deep South) in my area wear T shirts or polo shirts if lucky, trackpants, sweatpants, cargo pants, and sneakers or Crocs. I hardly ever see even little girls (let alone little boys) wearing t strap shoes here, it's rather unusual out here. Everyone (children and adults) are so casual here in the way of dress on the West Coast. It's probably become even more so with the COVID 19 situation. Some radio disc jockeys are wearing pajamas to work in their radio station offices now. Weathermen / meteorologists are broadcasting from their home bedroom in a lot of cases, on TV. A lot of times, little boys in the Deep South wear long-alls (basically dressy overalls) and T strap shoes to church -- sometimes they were saddle shoes too. But now with COVID a lot of children (and adults) aren't going to church now, with social distancing and all that. I have to say, even before COVID 19, during Halloween in October 2019, at the Preschooler Storytime we had, if you included me as a child of some kind, I was definitely the most well dressed child in there (we typically had about 35 to 40 preschoolers in our Storytime) and I'm pretty sure at the entire library. The longall route of dressing kids is very, very rare in my area and I'm pretty sure that 99% of parents of even young children have no idea what those things even are. It's almost unheard of out here. Most companies that make children's jon jons and smocked long-alls are in the Deep South in terms of where their offices are, even if they are made in El Salvador or Vietnam. A few are made in the Philippines. Some still are made in the USA, but not that many.

My mom isn't really keen on the idea of me wearing long-alls or T strap buckle shoes anywhere else but the county park. I want to wear it at my local community college when it finally does reopen sometime this year. I hope that I have a new gingham longall and these burnt orange T strap shoes from Spain once this COVID 19 disaster gets better. Maybe I'll ride one of those kiddie scooters too. I can't drive a car much and never drove by myself or over 25 minutes because I have a really bad attention span. I do have a driver's license but it's not good for much. When I mean riding on kiddie scooters, I mean those nonmotorized scooters little kids use. I've seen college students at my community college with them too in the past. I've also seen photos of little boys riding those with long-alls and T strap shoes.

My parents are Asian American, so it's hard to bargain or win anything from them. A lot of Asian parents believe their child should obey every rule they give, like they are always right about everything. My mom is also not fond of people who don't act their age. For me, it's impossible to act my age, because I am developmentally disabled. In some aspects, contrary to that, she doesn't always have a problem with me watching children's cartoons. A few years ago, my mom was fondly remembering how I used to like Barney (the purple dinosaur) when I was chronologically 17-20 years old. That's not a common age where parents have fond memories of their child liking Barney. Loved Teletubbies in 1998 to 2008. I was in university when Teletubbies came out. I also watched Arthur and Wimzie's House back then. Eventually I got into Maurice Sendak's Little Bear cartoons on Nick Kids, Pink Panther cartoons, Care Bears, and other cartoons. I absolutely loved Wimzie's House and actually am friends with the voice actress who did Wimzie's voice on Wimzie's House and she also did Arthur's mom Jane Read's voice on Arthur, the cartoon about an aardvark who has a little sister named D.W.

In a way, you seem quite similar to me.

Take care!!

- longallsboy 💜

longallsboy said:
None of the things (from the test that he took) have anything to do with intellectual function, and he never said that he was intellectually disabled. It's not just about intellectual functioning that determines how a person navigates the world. I am like a 4 1/2 to 5 year old emotionally and socially, and while my intelligence is normal, that doesn't tell you anywhere close to the story about me. There are actual nonautistic 4 and 5 year old children that are more advanced than me in certain things, and have a better attention span. Most young children can see this side of me. I was an unpaid assistant volunteer / co-host at Preschooler Storytime at my local library for 16 years, once a week, on Thursdays, until COVID 19 pandemic closed down the library in 2020. I have a BA degree in Geography. You would be surprised.... most Autistic people who have advanced college degrees (masters and doctorate degrees even) are not as emotionally and socially as advanced as you might think. I've read numerous scientific reports that it isn't unusual for college graduates who have Autism Spectrum Disorders to have emotional / social ages around 7 to 11 years old. Probably that is the reason why the unemployment rate for Autism is very, very high. 35% of Autistic people have college degrees (in comparison to 32% of nonautistic people in the USA having degrees). The unemployment rate for Autistic college graduates is 80 to 85%. There are no minorities that have such a high unemployment rate. Not even those with Down Syndrome (21% unemployment). Not even criminals convicted of the worst imaginable crimes. We obviously do not have jobs because we can't "fit in" with the rest of society, and the vast majority of Autistic people are more law abiding than your average citizen. The vast majority have no criminal record at all. Yet we don't get treated too well by society.

Bottom line, not everything is about intellectual functioning. Some people who have intellectual disabilities are more mature and do better than me don't lack social skills like I do or footiePJ.

- longallsboy
Thank you for that great explanation. I can totally understand the issue now.

LM

FootiePJ said:

Adaptive domain

Social-Emotional domain

Communication domain

Motor domain

Cognitive domain

Can I ask you, I was wondering since you wrote this, where can I get this developmental assessment form? I think it would be interesting to have my old college instructor evaluate me. I do have Classic Autism and ADHD though, and I've been on disability for some time now. It might be interesting to have my parents fill it out or anyone with a college degree....

Makes me wonder....you can't possibly be worse than me. I've met 5 year old kindergartners who are more proficient at remembering to complete their homework than me, and who sadly, are more mature than me. I struggle with some things normal preteens or even 8 years olds don't have a problem with.

- longallsboy

Back