Cooking!

JunkyardDog1

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Anyone else an avid fan of cast iron? Do you happen to use fire or an old stove too? Favorite thing to cook? I'm a steak and potatoes man myself.

Attachments

• 20240303_091916.jpg
    20240303_091916.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240303_091929.jpg
    20240303_091929.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240303_092006.jpg
    20240303_092006.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, ianwee, Sealander and 1 other person
I have way more cast iron cookware than I'll ever be able to use! It all started right out of high school when I lived in a house I couldn't afford to run the heat in winter but it had a giant quarried stone fireplace and I kept a fire burning 24/7. I stumbled on a book (Back to basics) and it had a chapter about cooking on a fireplace and a list of all necessary equipment so I went a little nuts and bought or made everything I needed and with the help of that chapter learned to cook on the fireplace! We'll just say I ate really good that winter!

Reactions: ianwee, Sealander and JunkyardDog1
I have a cast iron skillet that mainly sees use for the occasional steak or pork chop.

I like to cook because I like to eat. I am a bit of an amateur. Baked ziti is one of my staples. I do carbonara and penne alla vodka pretty often.

Reactions: JunkyardDog1 and ianwee
There's nothing like a good old-fashioned cast iron frying pan is there? The modern flimsy ones can't compete with them

Reactions: JunkyardDog1
ianwee said:
There's nothing like a good old-fashioned cast iron frying pan is there? The modern flimsy ones can't compete with them
Correct. Most of what I have has been resurrected from the scrap pile or garbage. With some love and grease and heat, you can bring em back.

I purchased a cast iron pizza pan! It is perhaps my best purchase! Makes homemade pizza better than any pizzeria!

Reactions: JunkyardDog1
Back