Cold weather tips?

padded1989

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
What are some of your best tips for wintery and cold weather diaper wearing? I like how its so much easier to hide them during winter, but they can feel extra cold at times!

If you get cold, wet it some more and it’ll feel warmer.

Reactions: Lua24 and BigAl2
Your question made me think about what it would’ve been like if I had been incontinent when I was driving truck in Alaska in the ‘80s. I generally wore polypropylene long underwear, jeans, wool socks over sweat socks, Sorel Superior ll boots, insulated shirts and an insulated vest with a Carhartt arctic parka w/hood when I was out of the truck. Diapers wouldn’t have fit very well under my jeans and I would’ve had to go up a size or two, but I wouldn’t have had to worry about undressing to use the restroom. I’ve recently found out what a wuss I’ve become since those days of thriving quite well in temps down to -75F when I was out in our recent -12F and found myself complaining about weather that I used to enjoy. I guess much of this is due to me being over three decades older than I was in my Alaska days. Diapers would’ve been an asset in many ways in those days, but changing one in the cabover trucks we drove up there at first would’ve been very challenging. Even the conventional that they bought us later, that were set up for Arctic running, while having a walk in bunk, still would’ve been diaper unfriendly when it came to cleaning up and changing. My parka extended down to just short of my knees so it would’ve been great for covering my diaper bulge if I had been wearing them under larger sized jeans and odors would surly had a difficult time finding their way out from under all those layers. In the contiguous US and Canadian provinces that I used to run heavy haul/oversized loads in when not in Alaska diapers could’ve been a real help, even in the cold. In fact I could see them being more of a problem in hot weather, especially hot humid weather where sweating would make them quite uncomfortable, but I would imagine this problem could’ve been alleviated to some degree with UPS/USPS style loose fitting short pants. If you find that you’re getting cold while wearing diapers, especially wet diapers, try getting a longer jacket or insulated shirt that extends below your diaper. It may keep your tushie from getting cold a little better than waist length coats and shirts.

Last edited:
Reactions: padded1989 and PadPhilosopher
I wear padded inco pants over my nappies. Keeps everything snug and warm even when wet.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Two words: plastic backed. I'll bet you're experiencing evaporative cooling from the shell moisture on a cloth-like outer evaporating. I've noticed this taking place, but hadn't considered the effect this could have in the winter, having never used those in the winter. The low humidity would make it happen really quickly, and the low temps would make it really unpleasant.

If your preferred product doesn't have a plastic backed variant, as @Wetshisbed stated, putting plastic pants over the top will have a similar effect.

I’ll let you know…I’m in a nice dry powdered Daydreamer and about to go plow snow for a few hours. The truck will be warm and dry, not so sure about…. 🤫

• Haha
PadPhilosopher said:
Two words: plastic backed. I'll bet you're experiencing evaporative cooling from the shell moisture on a cloth-like outer evaporating. I've noticed this taking place, but hadn't considered the effect this could have in the winter, having never used those in the winter. The low humidity would make it happen really quickly, and the low temps would make it really unpleasant.

If your preferred product doesn't have a plastic backed variant, as @Wetshisbed stated, putting plastic pants over the top will have a similar effect.
Having worn breathable ones while camping in the cold, the diaper "sweats" when it's full of warmth. Really weird but I understand why it happened.

Back