Cloth diapers

DLPeakOut

Lifelong DL
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Do they need any special treatment in addition to normal washing like boiling, sterilisation or bleaching?

Reactions: Edgewater
DLPeakOut said:
Do they need any special treatment in addition to normal washing like boiling, sterilisation or bleaching?
Nope
Follow manufacturers washing instructions , DO NOT USE BLEACH !
60c wash is good with pre wash if heavily soiled , then good spin and line dry out side or medium heat in dryer
And absolutely no fabric softener

• Love
As a result of different materials being used today! It is every important to read the supplier /manufacturers directions and follow them!

Remember that the quality of the water in your area can have a major effect on the process that you use. I have very soft water (near zero minerals) and that greatly simplifies washing diapers. 15 miles East and their water is very hard (heavy amounts of minerals) which makes diaper washing far more involved with several additional steps.

I use bleach on mine all the time. Doesn't seem to effect them, and it seem to prevent odors. If I don't bleach them, than after a couple of washings they start to get smelly much faster after getting wet.

• Sad
Reactions: dous and Edgewater
Yes and at the same time no.

The basics of washing them are the same as any other clothing, however if you want to keep them in absolute top condition there are things you can do/learn that will help. Unfortunately most people these days don't really know how to do laundry properly due to things like detergent pods like this...
How to Use Laundry Detergent Pods Correctly

And other "brain free" products, not like decades ago when automated machines and user friendliness was not a thing and people had to actually learn about how to work a machine.

Basically though, If soiled empty into a toilet when removing and rinse (best to use a liner if you know you will soil), run a quick rinse and spin cycle on them without detergent to remove most of the urine/soiling then a full cycle using your machines highest water setting (usually a cotton setting) anywhere from 40-60 degrees (don't really need 60 if washing regularly with a good detergent, the soap will kill as many germs as the hot water and is safer on fabrics/waterproofing). If you have an extra water setting button use that for the cycle, adult cloth diapers need a lot of water and agitation to clean properly.

The biggest difference is just don't use fabric softener, 2 in 1 detergents or pods like above that have both.

Then line dry if you can, Tumble drying is ok for many diapers (not so good for waterproof layers) but if you do it follow manufacturer guide and use a low heat.

To do it better.

One important thing for washing nappies is to get the load size (weight) right, find out your machines load sizes for half and full then weigh your used nappy load on bathroom scales and find out what it weighs.

You can use that to determine if what you have is a full or half load or less and then follow the directions on the detergent packet for how much to use for which load size. Getting the soap amount right can help keep away any detergent build up that leads to stale/barnyardy smells and possible irritation. Getting load size right also means they get proper agitation to clean them.

There is also routine to consider, used nappies should not really be sitting around for more than 3 days unless you have rinsed out most of the urine before paling, so having a regular routine for it is good.

If you are in a hard water area which you can find out usually from your suppliers homepage or buy buying a water hardness test paper from the pharmacy/Amazon. You can buy tablets like Calgon that are designed for hard water area's to soften the water, they can be good if you are in one of those areas just pop one in with the detergent.

Bleach should not be used unless you know what you are doing with it and your nappies. There are other tips too like some people will add vinegar to reduce hardness but that is kinda personal preference and situational.

Last edited:
  • Love
wiliawi said:
I use bleach on mine all the time. Doesn't seem to effect them, and it seem to prevent odors. If I don't bleach them, than after a couple of washings they start to get smelly much faster after getting wet.
Check your suppliers washing instructions and follow them as what you are experiencing is the results of not following those instructions.

But following the above Post will get you 95% of the way to clean diapers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Belarin
With old fashioned terry nappies you cant beat a good line dry in strong sunlight. Always far better than a tumble dryer. Also a washing line full of white nappies blowing in the wind is a thing of beauty!

sissybaby34 said:
With old fashioned terry nappies you cant beat a good line dry in strong sunlight. Always far better than a tumble dryer. Also a washing line full of white nappies blowing in the wind is a thing of beauty!
And the scent when walking past too, growing up before I was 7 we lived in a flat block so no garden space for line drying and a communal laundrette on the ground floor, after washing my mum would hang the nappies to dry on a line on the the balcony or over the bath. I don't remember much from early childhood but I do remember the scent of clean fresh Terry flats on the line very well.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: sissybaby34 and Edgewater
Ive used fabric diapers on/of over the years, as me ex was a real green person.

But, the care was simple.

Wash as normal, no fabric softners also no scents, and a bit of borax in the wash will help with any stains and/or smells.

The biggest thing i did notice is that the HE washers dont do that good compared to regular washers, I have a well and water is not an issue here, so i dont go for HE washers anymore, using less water is not always the best.

But, sometimes also washed in baking soda and vinegar.

Really just stay away from anything extra like fabric softners, dyes, bleach, etc...they will cause them to not last a long...I have some that are easily 15 years old and still just fine.

I will from time to time go cloth usually if having a rash or getting really hot/sticky in a disposable, but that is not often anymore as i'm in ac all the time.

Also have good pins, even rub over soap or wax to let them go through the diaper without as easily breaking any fibers/threads, your pining in about the same place all the time. Also run the pins sideways to the tension of the diaper, in line with your hips. This will keep the diaper from sliding and getting bunched up in the pins and causing any damage.

Belarin said:
some people will add vinegar
Be careful with this one. Better to soak in vinegar in the bath tub then fully rinse before putting it in your machine. Vinegar is an acid and urine has ammonia in it which is a base so if you get the nasty smell right after using the diaper its a good remedy. Adding it to your machine on a regular basis can damage the machine as the acid will attack certain rubber and plastic parts and degrade them. It will also eat the lamination off of TPU/PUL and harden plastic pants.

Reactions: Edgewater and Belarin
Joediaper said:
Be careful with this one. Better to soak in vinegar in the bath tub then fully rinse before putting it in your machine. Vinegar is an acid and urine has ammonia in it which is a base so if you get the nasty smell right after using the diaper its a good remedy. Adding it to your machine on a regular basis can damage the machine as the acid will attack certain rubber and plastic parts and degrade them. It will also eat the lamination off of TPU/PUL and harden plastic pants.
Yeah I've never use vinegar myself, do just fine with a decent wash routine but it's something that can be used and people do.

Back