Guest viewing is limited
  • Guests can only view a limited number of pages. Please log in or register to remove this limit.
  • 5 guest views remaining

Cloth backed disposable diapers

So the only issue I have with your suggestion is the only time I am really not in diapers is when I am sleeping. I would find it very expensive to use them every day for say two changes a day. Unfortunately I have to keep cost in mind. Even though I use betterdry I am active and although not all the time I have had to change during my day depending on how much I use my diaper and or how long I am away from home.

Constantlydamp said:
I had similar issues but my doctor referred me to the urologist who then referred me to the Continence Service. After assessment they now supply my nappies as well as my pubic pressure urinal. The nurses at the Continence Advisory Service are simply fantastic and I would definitely recommend getting your GP to refer you, it saved me hundreds of pounds each year.
My bladder has always been a bit weird, but my current problems started with a series of bladder infections, the worst one spreading to my testes, and seeing me signed off work for six weeks. I was wetting the bed and not always making it to the toilet during the day.

After a cystoscopy, ultrasound, scans (discovering that I have a horseshoe kidney, which the medical students were quite excited about), and a transurethral ultrasound, I was prescribed Tamsulosin, which I still take (enlarged prostate), solfenacin (which didn't help the urgency and had horrible side effects) and one or two other medications that had no effect. Last referral was just before lockdown.

I wasn't offered pads on the NHS and managed things with Boots disposable pull-ons, until I discovered that I could buy adult nappies online at a fraction of the cost. At the time I think the threshold for NHS pads was incontinence requiring three or more pads a day. I only get through two pads: one overnight, and one during the day (in case I don't make it to the toilet), unless I am out and about and need to change. That is still over £400 a year though, so maybe it is time to go back to the GP?

FiftiesKid said:
My bladder has always been a bit weird, but my current problems started with a series of bladder infections, the worst one spreading to my testes, and seeing me signed off work for six weeks. I was wetting the bed and not always making it to the toilet during the day.

After a cystoscopy, ultrasound, scans (discovering that I have a horseshoe kidney, which the medical students were quite excited about), and a transurethral ultrasound, I was prescribed Tamsulosin, which I still take (enlarged prostate), solfenacin (which didn't help the urgency and had horrible side effects) and one or two other medications that had no effect. Last referral was just before lockdown.

I wasn't offered pads on the NHS and managed things with Boots disposable pull-ons, until I discovered that I could buy adult nappies online at a fraction of the cost. At the time I think the threshold for NHS pads was incontinence requiring three or more pads a day. I only get through two pads: one overnight, and one during the day (in case I don't make it to the toilet), unless I am out and about and need to change. That is still over £400 a year though, so maybe it is time to go back to the GP?
hi Fiftieskid, going by your name we are of a similar vintage.I take Tamsulosin for the enlarged prostate and Tolterodine for my OAB. I lost a testicle 30 years ago but my issues started about six years ago with a slight dribble for which I wore guards, then moved to pads and finally pull ups. I had to go to the doctor for balanitis and on dropping my trousers he saw the pull up and questioned me. He referred me to the hospital and I saw the urologist who offered an operation or conservative management (nappies) which I chose. The Continence Advisory Service at the local hospital then prescribed Tena Proskin Super and tried a condom catheter but I have a retracted penis so it fell off. The Continence Nurse suggested a pubic pressure urinal with a leg bag and I wear that in the morning then a Tena Flex Maxi in the afternoon and a Tena Proskin Ultima at night. The Continence Advisory Service also give me washable absorbent bed pads and I save at least £140 per quarter. Go to your GP and get referred, I am sure you could be near to qualifying, just tell them the truth and don't be bashful.

Reactions: FiftiesKid
Back