Cloth-backed Abena M4s are weird

Canadianfalls

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I just got a bag of these, and they're strange. The price is alright on Amazon, so I figured I'd try them out. The backing seems to warp, and the tapes cannot be refastened without losing their grip and sliding off, becoming useless.

The diaper itself can't retain well, is prone to compression leaks in my short experience. Maybe that's because of poor fit, due to the tapes. I had to change within 2 hours, just because of how serious the leaks were. These seem thinner than the plastic-backed version as well. I'm so disappointed I may just return them, but need to try a few more to make sure it isn't just a one-off bad experience.

Now, an important question. What are some good, similarly priced with good/better value diapers that are cloth or plastic backed? Once again, I'm on the hunt for more of these and am finding my current stash, with the BetterDry shortage needs new additions, and I'm always excited by new diapers, good deals and great value. I'm Canadian, male, and wear for long periods at home and in public.

Reactions: Neroforte and Diprs2
Seni's fit pretty close to Abenas, but their tapes actually work.

They still have the typical breathable diaper problems, but they are definitely a bit cooler for the summer.

Reactions: Alexande, Diprs2, Canadianfalls and 1 other person
another vote for the seni super quattro if you want cloth backed.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Canadianfalls
yup cloth covered Abena are 💩
i wear the plastic version and it's very good

Reactions: Diprs2, soggybottoms8882 and Jonnythepony
Canadianfalls said:
I just got a bag of these, and they're strange. The price is alright on Amazon, so I figured I'd try them out. The backing seems to warp, and the tapes cannot be refastened without losing their grip and sliding off, becoming useless.

The diaper itself can't retain well, is prone to compression leaks in my short experience. Maybe that's because of poor fit, due to the tapes. I had to change within 2 hours, just because of how serious the leaks were. These seem thinner than the plastic-backed version as well. I'm so disappointed I may just return them, but need to try a few more to make sure it isn't just a one-off bad experience.

Now, an important question. What are some good, similarly priced with good/better value diapers that are cloth or plastic backed? Once again, I'm on the hunt for more of these and am finding my current stash, with the BetterDry shortage needs new additions, and I'm always excited by new diapers, good deals and great value. I'm Canadian, male, and wear for long periods at home and in public.
Maybe not similarly priced but if you're looking for a good cloth backed option I highly recommend North shore MegaMax air. Some of the best cloth backed I've ver used. They have a similar issue with the tapes not sticking as well if you refasten them too many times but you can refasten once or twice and be fine. They hold almost as much as a regular megamax which is impressive for a cloth backed and I find them to be quite discreet aven though they feel kind of bulky when full.

Reactions: PaddedRita and Diprs2
I have the same experience with cloth-backed Abena M4. They're nice and soft when new and dry, but starts quickly to break down.
And worse when wet. Always wet spots on my pants if I sit down.

I have much better experiences with Tena Maxi (also cloth-backed) and also Tenas plastic-backed Maxi and Ultima.
They keep their shape and doesn't leak until they start to get real wet. The cloth-backed of course have more limitations,
but when new, you can re-adjust the tapes several times and after a few hours, still one more time if you are careful when loosing up.
Plastic-backed you got two attempts, but if you can fasten the tape on the same spot, several.

I also have good experience with Attends Slip Active Fit 10 (plastic-backed) when it comes to capacity and leakage, especially with
their booster inside.

Another way to stop leakage spots is plastic pants.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Canadianfalls
Bearcatz said:
Seni's fit pretty close to Abenas, but their tapes actually work.

They still have the typical breathable diaper problems, but they are definitely a bit cooler for the summer.
I wish Seni was available in Canada. I can't find them anywhere.

Reactions: Diprs2
Cloth m2's gave me a bad friction rash. Think I'll avoid anything cloth and abena in the future.

I've had 2 just fall off me overnight. The tabs separate from the back of the diaper and just come right off. It's really sad, because the diaper itself isn't bad. The shell keeping it up just can't do its job.

Back to the Medline Extended wear for me.

I tried them. It felt like I was wearing a paper towel and performed just about as well as a cheap paper towel.

Reactions: PaddedRita and Diprs2
I’m now worried because I purchased some L4 plastic back abena’s. Hope these will be okay and better then the cloth ones.

bobbilly said:
I’m now worried because I purchased some L4 plastic back abena’s. Hope these will be okay and better then the cloth ones.
I have heard the plastic back Abena is still very good.

Reactions: bobbilly
bobbilly said:
I’ve never had any trouble with a plastic backed Abena.

Reactions: PaddedRita and bobbilly
I tried the cloth-backed Abena M4 a number of years ago. When I began wearing nappies again I started initially with some store brand ‘Boots Staydry’ nappies and some Tena pull-ups but really wanted to get some Abena M4s as I’d seen them so often online and I somehow thought they were the gold standard.

Well, I could only get the cloth-backed M4s at that time in the UK and they were so disappointing, leaks, clumping, poor tapes, sagging and loose - for me they were horrible!

Then I found the amazing Tena Active Fit plastic-backed range of Maxi and Ultima nappies and have never looked back. The medium size fit me perfectly, the plastic is smooth and soft, they are relatively discreet, have great capacity and keep always retain their integrity and stay up without excessive sagging. They also have excellent tapes. We’re all different shapes and sizes, and the Tenas may prove to be an absolute nightmare for some people, but they’re perfection for me!

I would still like to try a plastic-backed Abena M4 one day though…

Reactions: PaddedRita, Canadianfalls and OnePiece
Yeah got m3 and m2 yes quite weird but love the comfort of abena

Reactions: Canadianfalls
I think the plastic backed abenas are the most photogenic nappies. I love seeing pictures of hunky men in wet abenas,

Reactions: Canadianfalls and Neroforte
Back