Classic Video games

Super Mario on the NES
Played that a lot.

Then I played a lot of Sonic on the Sega Genesis

Reactions: Sidewinder
Omg yeah totally I still remember getting my original SM cart on the NES from my dad. Also remember going to a friends house who had a Genesis to play Sonic cause I only had Nintendo consoles as a kid (not for too long though)

My parents couldn't afford a console in the 80s. I went to friends house to play Pong and Tanks. I played a friend's Atari 2600 games like PacMan, Atlantis, and Space Invaders.

You poor dear PapaBear being forced to play Atari 2600 pac man

SunshineGirl said:
I remember playing the "Duck Hunt" game when I was a kid!
Same here. I also had the opportunity to play "Hogan's Alley" and "Wild Gunman."

Sidewinder said:
I remember Vectrex. When I was a kid, I used to call it the 1,2,3,4 game, because of the four clearly marked buttons on the controller.

3 of the games I remember for it were Scramble, Rip off, and Mine storm. (Which was built into the system) I didn't have the overlays for it but it was still enjoyable, nonetheless.

It is surprisingly fun to program, being so different from other systems. No video memory or pixel maps; you draw on the screen with straight lines (vectors) similarly to an Etch-A-Sketch. It also has a rather powerful CPU for its time; it could run circles around an NES or even an Apple IIe. Which means it can do some fairly sophisticated calculations, e.g. 3D rotation and perspective projection. ^.^

Onesieman said:
Pac-man.

When it first came out, they wanted to call it Puck Man, but they were afraid that kids would change the P to an F on the arcade machines.
Originally, for it's Japanese release it was called "Puckman."
Pronounced "pakkuman." Written as "パックマン."

Then, when the game was released in America, it was initially named "Puckman," but after being vandalized with graffiti, by spray painting an "F" over the "P," it was soon renamed "Pac Man." And the name just stuck.

Sapphyre said:
It is surprisingly fun to program, being so different from other systems. No video memory or pixel maps; you draw on the screen with straight lines (vectors) similarly to an Etch-A-Sketch. It also has a rather powerful CPU for its time; it could run circles around an NES or even an Apple IIe. Which means it can do some fairly sophisticated calculations, e.g. 3D rotation and perspective projection. ^.^
I wouldn't know, I never programmed on a Vectrex.

However, I do dabble in BASIC programming on the Commodore VIC-20.

In more recent years, I saw a video on YouTube, that was about using a light pen program on the Vectrex.

In addition to video games, I also used to play pinball games and I mean the ACTUAL pinball games, not just the computer and video game versions, either.

NehFaasSinonKron said:
Oldest I have played? That would be Spacewar! which dates back to the PDP-1 days. I won't be surprised if some of you have to look it up.

First I ever played? I honestly don't remember, I have played so many I just don't have a clue.
I remember seeing in a documentary, one of the first "video games," if one could call it that, as being a prototypical experiment on an oscilloscope called "Tennis for Two," which lead to the making of the "Magnavox Odyssey" and then the ever-popular coin op arcade game, "Pong."

Last edited:
Sidewinder said:
I wouldn't know, I never programmed on a Vectrex.

However, I do dabble in BASIC programming on the Commodore VIC-20.

In more recent years, I saw a video on YouTube, that was about using a light pen program on the Vectrex.

I must say, the Vectrex has remained one of my favorite toys from childhood. ^^; I have a (knock-off) light pen for mine as well, and a (knock-off) 3D Imager headset. Writing code that uses those is pretty challenging, but quite fun too. With the headset, I can not only draw in pop-out-of-the-screen 3D, but in full RGB color as well.

Even when not using the 3D headset though, I also prefer to play without any overlays. I like the crispness of the screen.

Sapphyre said:
I must say, the Vectrex has remained one of my favorite toys from childhood. ^^; I have a (knock-off) light pen for mine as well, and a (knock-off) 3D Imager headset. Writing code that uses those is pretty challenging, but quite fun too. With the headset, I can not only draw in pop-out-of-the-screen 3D, but in full RGB color as well.

Even when not using the 3D headset though, I also prefer to play without any overlays. I like the crispness of the screen.

This is fascinating.

I had no idea that a 3D imager headset existed for the "Vectrex," but now that you mention it, I do remember this "NES" game called "Rad Racer," which had this 3D mode if you pressed "SELECT" on the controller, but the effect only worked with a pair of regular 3D glasses, which I must admit, was a rather innovative concept for the time.

I also recall something about the "Sega Master System" having it's own pair of 3D glasses.

Last edited:
Sidewinder said:
This is fascinating.

I had no idea that a 3D imager headset existed for the "Vectrex," but now that you mention it, I do remember this "NES" game called "Rad Racer," which had this 3D mode if you pressed "SELECT" on the controller, but the effect only worked with a pair of regular 3D glasses, which I must admit, was a rather innovative concept for the time.

I also recall something about the "Sega Master System" having it's own pair of 3D glasses.

I like Rad Racer. ^.^

The Vectrex 3D headset allows for full color (actually adds it to the otherwise monochrome display), in contrast to the red-and-blue scheme the NES used for 3D. It's very primitive though, and imposes its own somewhat non-obvious limitations. I never owned one of the Sega 3D glasses but I believe they worked by alternating shutters over the eyes, which also would have permitted full color.

Another little-known tidbit: the Vectrex controller actually has a bi-axial self-centering analog joystick, which means the Vectrex can measure the exact position of the joystick (with 8 bits of precision in each dimension, typically, but can be as much or as little as you want in theory). Not many original games really took advantage of this, but some of the homebrew titles do.

Last edited:
RetroGamerGuy said:
Much better now! Got MAME32 😎

Lestat said:
Galactica, Elite Classic, Pac-Man Pong.
Galactica? Don't you mean "Galaga!?"

The first time I played "Galaga," was back in the year 2002, at a friend's house.

It was "Galaga '90" for the Turbo Grafx 16.

Reactions: PapaBear001
Another video game I remember playing back in the day, was "NARC" for the "NES."

RetroGamerGuy said:
I played the "Atari 2600" version of "Pac Man," once and I didn't think it to be as bad as people say.

But, that's just me.

Super Mario on SNES. 10/10 👌

SillyLiam said:
Super Mario on SNES. 10/10 👌
Originally, Mario's debut was in the 1981 arcade game "Donkey Kong," known in Japan as "Jumpman." (ジャンプマン)
Then, in 1983, came the release of arcade game, Mario Bros, which saw the debut of Mario's brother Luigi, then in 1985, came the release of Super Mario Bros for the "Famicom" in Japan and the "NES" in America.

I think he meant Super mario World XD lol

Back