Changing the pull-up for the AIO cloth diaper

hiker

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Because of the night issues I wear the TENA PANTS Plus disposable pull-ups every day to the bed (I am 31 yo male and I am wet aprox. four times a week).

My girlfriend has found out that it is possible to get the All-In-One cloth adult diaper and last several days she forces me to buy it and to start to wear it instead of the disposables. She thinks that it will be a cheaper and eco-friendlier way of protection. Moreover she thinks that it will be better for my skin to sleep in the cloth diaper.

I have checked it at the website and I have to say that I am not sure. The TENA Pants Plus pull-ups are fully sufficient for me and I have never solved any problems with the leakage or the rash so far. Furthermore, I can't imagine how difficult would be to put the AIO cloth diaper (in compare with the pull-up) on or how thick its padding could be. Last, but not the least - I know that the pull-ups don't look well, but how I would look like with the AIO diaper on?!

When my bedwetting started and I was looking for the right type of protection, I wore to the bed the ID Slip Plus PE during the first nights. I really didn't feel good and I didn't sleep well... Easily I don't want to wear a "real" diaper.

On the other side, the I believe that wearing the cloth diaper will be cheap and ecological... What do you think? Do you have any experiences with the AIO cloth diapers?

Last edited:
Reactions: toejamer and EcoIncon
AIO’s take forever in the drier. You are better off with the pocket system from Ecoables. The components can be washed and dried in pieces. This saves a lot of time and if she is worried about the environment it saves a lot of energy.

• Love
Reactions: EcoIncon and Edgewater
Sadly, the plastic cover on the majority of All In One cloth diapers have a limited life and will barely give one the life to off-set their cost. It would be more cost effective to buy pull-on cloth diaper pant and use plastic pants to cover them.

Sorry for the overlapping Post, rothpirate

Last edited:
Reactions: EcoIncon and rothpirate
hiker said:
On the other side, the I believe that wearing the cloth diaper will be cheap and ecological... What do you think? Do you have any experiences with the AIO cloth diapers?
Whenever I am in my hometown and can, I use cloth diapers. I have tried all sorts of brands including my favorites Ecoables and Threaded Armor.

Here are some thoughts:

1. You are concerned about thickness... to get the same absorbency cloth is about twice as thick as a disposable. If you have small leaks, you can get away with less absorbency in cloth because it absorbs much faster (acquisition time). However, if you have larger leaks, cloth is going to be thicker. The thickness is totally unnoticeable in any reasonable absorbency range.

2. You are worried about rashes... Cloth breathes better than any disposable (even the supposed "cloth backed") so you are most likely to get less rashes and have healthier skin. However, if you have frequent small accidents cloth may not be as good for your skin because it is not as good at locking the wetness from leaks away from your skin. Chaning after an accident remedies this. Breathability makes me prefer cloth.

3. @Edgewater and @rothpirate both caution against AIO diapers for a couple reasons and I agree with their general tenants. I do have some additional context.
a. AIOs do take a long time to dry. I put the ThreadedArmor lounge briefs in my drier for 3 hours on ultra low heat (100F or about 37C). That doesn't bother me. I have 16 pairs and I do laundry every 2-3 days so I've always got extras. I prefer less work of snapping liners in and out so I use AIOs more often. The Ecoable insert system is far cheaper than the ThreadedArmor lounge brief as you can get away with just a few covers and lots of inserts. For me, I prefer the convenience of an AIO but I use both.​
b. If you dry AIOs on high heat to dry them faster, then the comment by @Edgewater is absolutely true. Treat them very carefully and they will last a long time. I have some that I've washed at least 150 times and they don't have noticeable wear.​
4. There's little doubt if you live in an area with plentiful water that cloth will be cheaper and more ecofriendly. If you live in an area without access to water there's actually an argument for disposables.

Overall, cloth were the right choice for me. They are more comfortable, wick better so protect me better, and breathe better. That said you're going to have challenges if you adopt using cloth:
  • Getting the right number of layers to minimize bulk and meet your protection needs
  • Getting a laundry system that works well and keeps your diapers from smelling funky
  • Building your stash
Please don't hesitate to PM or post. There are lots of advocates for cloth on ADISC and we'd all be happy to help if you need it.

• Love
Reactions: CLPP, DarkQS1 and Edgewater
I have an air-dehumidifier, that is cheaper to run than a drier, it blows out the air it dehumidifies, so it helps drying clothes.
And its very needed to use in the basement here, otherwise we have wet walls anyway, so it helps in 2 ways.

Depending on where you live, there are different items available, though I personally don't like alot of AIO for night time.

The threadedarmor I have now is only for lighter use even with extra padding since it does not have the leg gussets, its an older version (was sold in my region in europe, so easy to get).
Just ordered the ones with leg gussets to try out but importing them to europe does make them a bit more pricey lol.

I can fit in multiple sizes and some are even smaller than you would think you need, but depending on the brand they can be huge for a small size indication.

My personal favorite depending on the needs are sizes in ranges from XS to Large! where my regular jeans size is like 34" or 36" width.
I think I have tried almost everything locally available in the Netherlands without buying abroad. (Where the one exception: started with cheap from ali express they were kinda bad so there is that.)

Personal favorite daily driver is: Threaded Armor Protective Brief size M with the hero insert and one size L blumchen cotton prefold for kids to help a bit where the standard microfiber fails. It does make it thicker but helps me 4-8hours with my issues, with the extra prefold it depends on your clothes if you could hide it or not, without the extra prefold its easy to hide, but I have some issues with press out while being seated then.

But for nights I would go with the larger size M blumchen 2-in-1 version with a large stay dry and the default size M 2-in-1 insert, just holds all I need when I want to stay in bed longer. Though this last set is quite thick... However my issues are not really something active at night so I can also get away with using my daily drivers to trick my brain far enough to be able to fall asleep.

I don't mind the 2 or 3 extra wash cycles each week for the diapers, depending on how much I use, I do need like 30 till 60 minutes when everything has dried to put it back usable in storage so I can just grab when I need something.
I also like the fact that I create less plastic waste. I still have a closet full of disposables, when out and about I just have more convenience with them.

(Oh and being cheap, yeah maybe in the long run, if you buy alot like me in the first year its still quite expensive xD)

Reactions: EcoIncon and Edgewater
DarkQS1 said:
I have an air-dehumidifier, that is cheaper to run than a drier, it blows out the air it dehumidifies, so it helps drying clothes.
And its very needed to use in the basement here, otherwise we have wet walls anyway, so it helps in 2 ways.

Depending on where you live, there are different items available, though I personally don't like alot of AIO for night time.

The threadedarmor I have now is only for lighter use even with extra padding since it does not have the leg gussets, its an older version (was sold in my region in europe, so easy to get).
Just ordered the ones with leg gussets to try out but importing them to europe does make them a bit more pricey lol.

I can fit in multiple sizes and some are even smaller than you would think you need, but depending on the brand they can be huge for a small size indication.

My personal favorite depending on the needs are sizes in ranges from XS to Large! where my regular jeans size is like 34" or 36" width.
I think I have tried almost everything locally available in the Netherlands without buying abroad. (Where the one exception: started with cheap from ali express they were kinda bad so there is that.)

Personal favorite daily driver is: Threaded Armor Protective Brief size M with the hero insert and one size L blumchen cotton prefold for kids to help a bit where the standard microfiber fails. It does make it thicker but helps me 4-8hours with my issues, with the extra prefold it depends on your clothes if you could hide it or not, without the extra prefold its easy to hide, but I have some issues with press out while being seated then.

But for nights I would go with the larger size M blumchen 2-in-1 version with a large stay dry and the default size M 2-in-1 insert, just holds all I need when I want to stay in bed longer. Though this last set is quite thick... However my issues are not really something active at night so I can also get away with using my daily drivers to trick my brain far enough to be able to fall asleep.

I don't mind the 2 or 3 extra wash cycles each week for the diapers, depending on how much I use, I do need like 30 till 60 minutes when everything has dried to put it back usable in storage so I can just grab when I need something.
I also like the fact that I create less plastic waste. I still have a closet full of disposables, when out and about I just have more convenience with them.

(Oh and being cheap, yeah maybe in the long run, if you buy alot like me in the first year its still quite expensive xD)
Use of dehumidifies is highly dependent on location and time of year. For those in the upper regions of the US, dehumidifies can be a great tool, but in the Winter months, we are commonly adding moisture within our homes. As a result cloth diapers dry fairly rapidly in the Winter indoors, but can take for ever in the Summer with out dehumidifies.

You provided a great review of the products you use and continue to prove that each individual really require testing to determine what works best for them. Great Post!!

Reactions: DarkQS1
Edgewater said:
Use of dehumidifies is highly dependent on location and time of year. For those in the upper regions of the US, dehumidifies can be a great tool, but in the Winter months, we are commonly adding moisture within our homes. As a result cloth diapers dry fairly rapidly in the Winter indoors, but can take for ever in the Summer with out dehumidifies.

You provided a great review of the products you use and continue to prove that each individual really require testing to determine what works best for them. Great Post!!
This was the first year we ever had that problem, with cloths not drying quick enough and getting smelly, however some boxes in the basement do suggest that there has been issues with high humidity before, they got moldy. Was a nice quick cleanup of old boxes haha got some room back in the basement.

Reactions: Edgewater
I prefer my pre-fold cloth diapers over AIO's as even though I wear plastic panties over them they seem not to be as hot. They also dry much better than the AIO's. The only time we use disposables is when we're traveling where laundering my cloth diapers are an issue but still use plastic panties as most disposables tend to leak at night.

Reactions: Edgewater
Back