Chafing from the leak guards between the legs and crotch

winterheart01

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Incontinent
So for some time now after having improved my skin condition by no longer using a gilette but instead trimming the hair to about 3-5mm to avoid infected hair sacs, and using a cunningham clamp to reduce the amount of heat rash, I am now confronted with the problem that when I change and do not apply rash cream (in the case when I have no rash) or no barrier cream (because they're all very runny or too sticky it sticks to my hands when taping it on) I now experience pain from chafing from the leak guards, when waking up in the morning from the night diaper.
Also when wearing a different brand when going somewhere during the day when I cannot use the clamp.

I would like to avoid using rash creams all the time because then I need to wash myself thoroughly before I can switch to a clamp because the adult wipes never take all the cream away.

Does anyone have such a heavy reaction too or any solution to this problem?
Note that I do use plenty of talcum powder and occasional miconazole powder as indicated by my GP when not using creams.

Reactions: Diprs2
wear gloves & apply zinc oxide cream
i always wear gloves to apply my creams. No issues with hands after

Reactions: Diprs2 and Jorelaxed
I also had this problem with some brands. I think it really depends on how they produce these leak guards. Sometimes the are folded and have raff parts that have small hard points (maybe due to glue or heating while the production process).

Normaly I never use any cream. For skin problems I use 3M Cavelon Spray. Only in case of a yeast infection I use creme.

For the diapers I can only speak for Europe the worst one in regards to the leak guards was for me ID slip and Abena. With Attends and Tena I never had problems.

So maybe you should try another brand.

I find that cloth-backed diapers are more gentle to the skin than plastic-backed.
But I usually only notice when walking a lot and you said you were sleeping...
Perhaps your skin isn't fully healed after your troubles?
Exactly where does the leak guards chafe?

I can only recommend letting your skin air out and dry for as long as possible and continue using creams before putting on a diaper.
I know it can be difficult to be without a diaper, but try if you can. A chair/bed protection pad can be handy.

In response to all comments:
- zinc oxide cream for the night diaper does not help enough, I still seem to get irritated skin right in the V shape between my left or right leg and the genitals.
- In the day I already use cloth backed diapers, surprisingly, I seem to have less irritation from the abena's than the tena proskin.
- I too am from europe so european advice is most welcome :)
- I'm somehow doubting if the pain from the night diaper is really from chafing but either heat rash which I have cortisone cream for, or like mentioned, it didn't recover yet.
- currently 5 out of 7 days a week, I only wear a diaper to bed and a clamp during the day, when it's verywarm I apply miconazole powder in the said areas to try to prevent irritation but it's not always successful.

I should note my mother told me I always had a sensitive skin even when I was an infant, but only the past few years since I have to wear 24/7 I start to experience this

Hi Winterheart01, I went through exactly the same chaffing you are going through right now.
It was being caused by the plastic of a certain diaper brand.

Reactions: Diprs2 and PaddedRita
winterheart01 said:
In response to all comments:
- zinc oxide cream for the night diaper does not help enough, I still seem to get irritated skin right in the V shape between my left or right leg and the genitals.
- In the day I already use cloth backed diapers, surprisingly, I seem to have less irritation from the abena's than the tena proskin.
- I too am from europe so european advice is most welcome :)
- I'm somehow doubting if the pain from the night diaper is really from chafing but either heat rash which I have cortisone cream for, or like mentioned, it didn't recover yet.
- currently 5 out of 7 days a week, I only wear a diaper to bed and a clamp during the day, when it's verywarm I apply miconazole powder in the said areas to try to prevent irritation but it's not always successful.

I should note my mother told me I always had a sensitive skin even when I was an infant, but only the past few years since I have to wear 24/7 I start to experience this
I use sinc cream only on parts that are irritated. Sometimes with some diaper fits the plastic and sweat starts the shafing. I use talc powder to reduce this issue. It keeps the skin dry and does not shafe as much. This works best for me. And when you do get shafing/ irritation change you diaper more often or go without (if possible) for a short while to keep the skin dry.

When you have skin irritation it needs to heal. A dry environment works best for this.

Hi Winterheart,

I would give Cavilon spray a try - it’s ways better then any barrier creme, also it might help to use a condom catheter overnight until the skin is healthy again.

mickdl said:
Hi Winterheart,

I would give Cavilon spray a try - it’s ways better then any barrier creme, also it might help to use a condom catheter overnight until the skin is healthy again.
condom catheters don't fit , not even the smallest one, after so many surgeries things down there shrunk a lot. They couldn't even get it done in the hospital :(
I tried cavilon spray but after last night, I'm more convinced I'm having more frequent heat rashes instead of chafing.
See, I covered the area between the leg and genitals with a layer of heavy zinc oxide cream, that is also used for bedsores, 15% zinc oxide. Very effective for rashes. Yet when wiping, that area hurt and I felt bumps that indicated heat rash.
During the day I don't wear plastic at all, not even plastic pants, so when it hurts it's either from the leak guards chafing from walking or sweating.
At least that's what I have come to conclude after all these comments.
I always use a lotof talcum powder, but I sweat very fast and a lot, even when using a clamp, if I do not apply powder on summer days I sweat and experience heat rash :s

This Gal really never had any problems with that kind issues !!
Don't sound very comfy when wearing along a little painful !!

Drapolene cream is the best cream you can buy for rashes it's as old as time but it's the most effective it's actually made for urinary dermatitis and nappy rash. Shower daily to keep the smells at bay with a natural soap and Longer hair is better unless your bowel IC which would be a pain to deal with it helps keep moisture off the skin by providing an air layer, I don't wear anything to keep my pad held up during the day just my belt and trousers and change once in an 8 hour work shift, I walk miles in a day and so long as I stick to applying drapolene morning and evening I have no issues with chafing and or nappy rash and I wear the worst pad of them all the dreaded ID slip plus provided by my local authority

mickdl said:
Hi Winterheart,

I use the Cavalon cream and I find it very good.

winterheart01 said:
condom catheters don't fit , not even the smallest one, after so many surgeries things down there shrunk a lot. They couldn't even get it done in the hospital :(
I tried cavilon spray but after last night, I'm more convinced I'm having more frequent heat rashes instead of chafing.
See, I covered the area between the leg and genitals with a layer of heavy zinc oxide cream, that is also used for bedsores, 15% zinc oxide. Very effective for rashes. Yet when wiping, that area hurt and I felt bumps that indicated heat rash.
During the day I don't wear plastic at all, not even plastic pants, so when it hurts it's either from the leak guards chafing from walking or sweating.
At least that's what I have come to conclude after all these comments.
I always use a lotof talcum powder, but I sweat very fast and a lot, even when using a clamp, if I do not apply powder on summer days I sweat and experience heat rash :s
Hi winterhaven: I also have irritated areas pretty well exactly where you described. I started wearing diapers to bed in June of last year and went quite a while, maybe 8 months or so, with zero issues. I always use a fair bit of zinc barrier or Boudreaux butt paste every night. I don't have to wear a diaper during the day unless I go out for extended periods. Anyway, about 3 months ago I started having the sensitive areas as you noted and sometimes my scrotum would get red and itchy. I thought about possible chafing, but am mostly convinced it's fungal. I have been seeing my dermatologist about it for a while. I have found that a few different prescription anti-fungal cremes actually help a lot. Here's the problem though, most of the prescription stuff comes in fairly small tubes and I feel that having to try and be conservative when using the cremes, It just isn't enough to quite get me to the finish line. Most of the past year I have pretty well used only 2 different diaper brands at night so I don't think my issue is one related to chafing. I'm still dealing with it. Anyway, my 2 cents worth!

Last edited:
Reactions: OnePiece and Jorelaxed
Diprs2 said:
Hi winterhaven: I also have irritated areas pretty well exactly where you described. I started wearing diapers to bed in June of last year and went quite a while, maybe 8 months or so, with zero issues. I always use a fair bit of zinc barrier or Boudreaux butt paste every night. I don't have to wear a diaper during the day unless I go out for extended periods. Anyway, about 3 months ago I started having the sensitive areas as you noted and sometimes my scrotum would get red and itchy. I thought about possible chafing, but am mostly convinced it's fungal. I have been seeing my dermatologist about it for a while. I have found that a few different prescription anti-fungal cremes actually help a lot. Here's the problem though, most of the prescription stuff comes in fairly small tubes and I feel that having to try and be conservative when using the cremes, It just isn't enough to quite get me to the finish line. Most of the past year I have pretty well used only 2 different diaper brands at night so I don't think my issue is one related to chafing. I'm still dealing with it. Anyway, my 2 cents worth!
True, I use a steroid cream for heat rash or fungal issues, they normally come in tiny tubes of 20g.
Luckily they also have them in 100g tubes so I ask prescriptions for those , this way I have enough.
I do try to be conservative because I was told that using it too often will reduce it's effectiveness

If you suspect it is a heat rash, maybe you are taping the lower tapes too tight. Cloth backed diapers tend to stretch more than plastic backrd, this could explain why during the day, you do not get a rash.

Try taping the lowers looser and/or with your legs straightened out (as if sleeping).

Reactions: PupSpaz, winterheart01, Diprs2 and 1 other person
daylight said:
If you suspect it is a heat rash, maybe you are taping the lower tapes too tight. Cloth backed diapers tend to stretch more than plastic backrd, this could explain why during the day, you do not get a rash.

Try taping the lowers looser and/or with your legs straightened out (as if sleeping).
I'll keep that in mind, thanks :)

What diaper are you using?

Is using cloth diapers, with plastic pants, overnight an option (washing/drying facilities etc.)? I am in the UK where towelling was the traditional nappy fabric until disposables took over, and fold bath sheets (two of them) to make a very absorbent night-time nappy, with sufficiently roomy waterproof pants over the top.

If I am out and about, and needing to wear disposable slips/diapers during the day several days running, I get the same problem of the leak guards cutting in and chafing. When this happens, I use towel "nappies" overnight, because the elastics of the waterproof pants land in a different place to the leak guards of a disposable and allow the chafing to heal.

I was going to say betadine since it provides a dry covering once dry, when I remembered that spray-on wound covering....
Not seen it anywhere for a good while.

FiftiesKid said:
Is using cloth diapers, with plastic pants, overnight an option (washing/drying facilities etc.)? I am in the UK where towelling was the traditional nappy fabric until disposables took over, and fold bath sheets (two of them) to make a very absorbent night-time nappy, with sufficiently roomy waterproof pants over the top.

If I am out and about, and needing to wear disposable slips/diapers during the day several days running, I get the same problem of the leak guards cutting in and chafing. When this happens, I use towel "nappies" overnight, because the elastics of the waterproof pants land in a different place to the leak guards of a disposable and allow the chafing to heal.
unfortunately cloth is not tolerated by the other close family member that does the laundry. She prefers I use disposable. Plus plastic pants would give me an instant heat rash.

Reactions: FiftiesKid and Diprs2
Back