Care advice for a post-op incontinent gf

veraaali

Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
I just recently discovered this forum and previously asked for advice as a non-ic person with an ic gf. responses were so useful so I figured I would ask another important question that before I generally would have just googled or figured out myself (lame I know)

My gf is undergoing surgery ( tissue expansion) soon to replace burn scarring on a large part of her stomach and arms ( irrelevant but I’ll mention it anyways). We’ve been warned the post op is going to be restrictive ( minimal movement and some discomfort), and she’ll probably need a lot of pain meds, support and care for the first weeks. With her ic I already know she will need me to take care of all the changing, which I don’t mind. However I want to know from ic people as a non-ic what type of things I have to pay attention to, what supplies I could need, things I could do or say to make her feel better about the situation… I know she likes to be in control of how she handles her ic and I know she will feel terribly ashamed of me having to take charge of everything when she cannot control it herself. I can assure her it doesn’t bother me a bit but of course she doesn’t believe me. She has asked me to change her in the past and she is very comfortable about her condition, it’s just that she always likes to have a say in when or where or how.

I am also kind of worried bc I’ll still have to go to work and college. I work overnight and have class during 2/3h in the evening, so she will have to go without a change for the entire night and a few hours while I’m in class, which kinda worries me as she has a pretty overactive bladder and has several small accidents rather than one or two big ones during the day. How do we avoid leaks/ rashes?
Any ideas are welcome!

Reactions: Diprs2, DangerKitsune and Edgewater
Thank you for including the information regarding the burn areas and especially the stomach area as below the navel is commonly the area that a diaper would sit. So, yes it is helpful!

It is not uncommon for overnight diapers to have volume capacity to last up to 10 -to- 12 hours "If Needed". Since she is IC, she likely is uses a night time diaper and it would be helpful to know what brand and name. Commonly those of us who are IC wear a premium adult diaper at night, I choose to use Northshore's MEGAMAX for night time use with their Trifecta plastic pant.

Diapering is commonly fairly personal and it is not unusual for us to resist help even when we need it. So, do not be put-off by her insistence that she can handle diapering herself. Smile, tell her you Lover Her and as a result, you want to help anyway you can.

She will commonly prepare her disposable diaper and use either baby powder and/or a diaper cream. Have her step you through her normal process. She may not want to, but once again tell her you Love her and want to help.

Thank you for caring!!

Reactions: HereWeGo2169, newt, Diprs2 and 2 others
It would be best to work with her and understand her typical routine before she undergoes the procedure. If she needs your help, she needs to be open and specific about her needs if you are willing to help her get through it. And if she has dealt with it for years she probably has learned most of it through trial and error and can pass on to you what shes learned works and doesn't work. Keep communication open and ask a lot of questions.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
veraaali said:
I am also kind of worried bc I’ll still have to go to work and college. I work overnight and have class during 2/3h in the evening, so she will have to go without a change for the entire night and a few hours while I’m in class, which kinda worries me as she has a pretty overactive bladder and has several small accidents rather than one or two big ones during the day. How do we avoid leaks/ rashes?
Any ideas are welcome!

I'd also suggest either asking the doctor, doing research on your own, or both, but there may be home health care agencies in your city, town, state that can help provide some of that care after a surgery like that. An example agency would be something like this:
https://www.accessiblehomehealthcare.com/post-op-care

Otherwise, I'd suggest using a barrier cream, something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Remedy-Essentials-Zinc-Protectant-Paste/dp/B07VD9N1TJ

Underpads like this:
https://www.northshorecare.com/incontinence-products/incontinence-bed-pads

and diaper covers like this:
https://www.northshorecare.com/inco...-covers/northshore-trifecta-waterproof-covers

Those should at least help minimize discomfort and the risks of leaks and rashes

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and jdinvirginia
Back