Canadian Insurance Coverage

Canadianfalls

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
For my fellow Canadians - Ontario mostly - do you have an insurance plan/provider that covers adult diapers or subsidises them for you? Ontario has no coverage for this, and I'm not ODSP eligible. What private insurance plans do you use or know of that have this coverage and can lessen the burden of disposable diaper costs?

No. You can claim diapers as a medical expense on your income tax, but it isn't much help IMO. It gets lumped in with drugs expenses and at the end of the day, depending on income level, your exemption is limited to about $2400 or 3% of your taxable income, whichever is less.

Reactions: Angelapinks and Canadianfalls
slimjiminy said:
No. You can claim diapers as a medical expense on your income tax, but it isn't much help IMO. It gets lumped in with drugs expenses and at the end of the day, depending on income level, your exemption is limited to about $2400 or 3% of your taxable income, whichever is less.
Hmm. I was hoping Blue Cross or something would have coverage. That's a bummer. I only see it for group plans with some companies. Every other plan covers catheters, but not diapers. Sucks.

Reactions: Angelapinks
The Non-insured Health Benefits (NIHB) plan covers incontience supplies, but only for indigenous Canadians.

Reactions: littledreamers333
If you have a health spending account incontinence supplies are an allowable claim against that (at least with my Blue Cross)

Canadianfalls said:
Hmm. I was hoping Blue Cross or something would have coverage. That's a bummer. I only see it for group plans with some companies. Every other plan covers catheters, but not diapers. Sucks.
That it not just a Canadian thing. Most every insurance in the US will cover urological supplies but not diapers. Then the ones that do only use the cheapest made crappiest diaper they can find.

HieronymusSquash said:
The Non-insured Health Benefits (NIHB) plan covers incontience supplies, but only for indigenous Canadians.
Tell me more

HieronymusSquash said:
Doesn't cover me then, unfortunately

Back