Can you remember wetting bed at camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only time my parents gave me diapers since I was toilet trained was a 3 night sleep away camp for school. This was in fifth grade. I was an almost daily bedwetter, and they didn’t want to see me embarrassed with a sleeping bag. My mom packed a few adult diapers she got from her job at a nursing home (as a nurse) at the base of my sleeping bag for me to wear. She also showed me how to tape the diapers over my clothing so I would wear them the right way when it mattered. To be honest, I don’t remember if I wore the diapers, but as I was never bullied for being a bedwetter, I think I wore them. I remember they were medical plastic backed taped diapers and seemed huge. I think they were old school Attends as that is what the empty boxes we packed out Christmas ornaments in.

Reactions: Rezzu
I always wore diapers to bed when we went camping and almost always woke up in a wet diaper. My diaper was always cloth so I also wore rubber pants over them to keep the bed or sleeping bag dry. The few times I went to a camp with other kids my age I had to wear diapers and rubber pants at night to bed and one of the camp counselors had to diaper me. The last time I was around 12 and felt so embarrassed that I was the only one who had to wear diapers. Never went again with a group, only with family and their friends where everyone knew I wet my bed and wore diapers.

Reactions: Rezzu
wiliawi said:
I actually think being caught in a diaper would be worse then being caught with a wet bed. With a wet bed you could try and say it was a one time thing. I guess I drank too much, I was too tired, I had too much to drink. If you are caught wearing a diaper, then the only reasonable conclusion is that a wet diaper is not unusual at all. Not only is this not unusual but it happens so often that I need to wear a protective garment all the time. It has nothing to do with being too tired or drinking too much. I'm just a bed wetter with the same level of control of my bladder at night as a kid.
In my particular instance I think being caught in a diaper was much worse. The beds we had were individual and had dark sheets and comforters- I could have easily concealed the wet bed until everybody was up and the sheets could have been changed. The diaper was difficult to explain for the aforementioned reasons.

Reactions: iampadded
pc1991 said:
In my particular instance I think being caught in a diaper was much worse. The beds we had were individual and had dark sheets and comforters- I could have easily concealed the wet bed until everybody was up and the sheets could have been changed. The diaper was difficult to explain for the aforementioned reasons.
What were the circumstances where you were caught?

iampadded said:
What were the circumstances where you were caught?
I was caught clearly wearing a diaper which appeared to be wet (though for the record, it was not), so there was really no explaining or reasoning.

Had I wet the bed (without diapers) I could have probably just concealed the wet bed, or at worst, explained it as it was a one time thing or just drank too much, etc.

I think if that were me, where are you were clearly caught, I would’ve just shrugged and said “it beats the alternative” and left it at that

Because of the whole NE thing, I didn't really like going to camps until I was in high school. At that point lots of the camps I liked offered more private sleeping arrangements for everyone.

Pullups + DDAVP worked okay for me, but the medicine always makes me feel gross.

wiliawi said:
I actually think being caught in a diaper would be worse then being caught with a wet bed. With a wet bed you could try and say it was a one time thing. I guess I drank too much, I was too tired, I had too much to drink. If you are caught wearing a diaper, then the only reasonable conclusion is that a wet diaper is not unusual at all. Not only is this not unusual but it happens so often that I need to wear a protective garment all the time. It has nothing to do with being too tired or drinking too much. I'm just a bed wetter with the same level of control of my bladder at night as a kid.
yep i agree , had a friend who was a bedwetter but didn't wear or use diapers and me who wears and uses diapers to manage my bedwetting and even though we both wet no one seems to remember him as a bedwetter but seems to remember me as the diaper boy who still wears diapers in secondary school .

Dabl2008 said:
Plenty of times lol. My first year going to camp I was so nervous, I remember really not wanting to go but my mother made me. When I got there I was placed into what was called the “overflow” cabin, they told everyone else it was the cabin for campers who registered late but really it was the bedwetter cabin. I was 8 then and everyone in the cabin wore some form of protection to bed. I wore goodnites but a few were in pull ups and one kid in attends. Kind of a different experience because I felt like the only kid in the world who wet the bed but all of the sudden I was sharing living accommodations with 9 others who also wet the bed. All the mattresses had vinyl covers and it kinda smelt like pee but not too badly. It was comforting knowing that I left my trunk open and my goodnites were visible that it wouldn’t be a big deal.
Good that the camp turns out to be good anyway. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 57004
wasn't a true bedwetter at the time, but would wet intentionally to try to get diapers at home...when i went to camp, i joked with others about the hand in water trick, saying it would be hilarious to see it work on someone. I pretended to be the first to fall asleep, and even though i was awake, i peed when my hand was put in water... i was picked on for the rest of the week, asking if i needed a diaper for bed, but secretly enjoyed it.

Reactions: abdl86
bbydpr said:
wasn't a true bedwetter at the time, but would wet intentionally to try to get diapers at home...when i went to camp, i joked with others about the hand in water trick, saying it would be hilarious to see it work on someone. I pretended to be the first to fall asleep, and even though i was awake, i peed when my hand was put in water... i was picked on for the rest of the week, asking if i needed a diaper for bed, but secretly enjoyed it.
Giggle. But it was allot about that when they notes that it may work.

DamianTheAngel said:
Because of the whole NE thing, I didn't really like going to camps until I was in high school. At that point lots of the camps I liked offered more private sleeping arrangements for everyone.

Pullups + DDAVP worked okay for me, but the medicine always makes me feel gross.
NE thing? What do you mean by that?

jamiejamie said:
NE thing? What do you mean by that?

Nocturnal Enuresis, medical term for bedwetting.

Reactions: jamiejamie
Not so much wetting but all I can remember about going to camp at 11 was interfered with by one of the adults kinda ruined it . He wanted to touch my penis I didn't let him couldn't wait to go home.
Umm I won best boy of the week for the wrong reasons .

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: TigerDL
I had an isolated, undiapered bedwetting incident on the final night of a weekend Cup Scout camping trip at the age of 10. Since I was never a nightly bedwetter, it was brushed off.

Reactions: chrischrischris
I did all the time. You just go to the camp nurse in the office for privacy.

I tend to think today (maybe I am too hopeful?) that if a kid under age 14 wears some form of protection to bed at night at camp that everyone will realize it is better than having wet sheets or sleeping bag and the place smelling like urine. Oh sure, some kids might make fun of you but I think it would be on the same level as when you slip on a wet surface and fall face first into a mud puddle. Quick short laugh then onto the next amusement of the day at camp...BB Guns! Oh that kid(s) that wears some form of diaper protection at night? So what, old news, a lot of kids wear nighttime protection nowadays (or are only 3 or 4 families in the USA buying all the Goodnights up?).

JOCKMAN said:
I tend to think today (maybe I am too hopeful?) that if a kid under age 14 wears some form of protection to bed at night at camp that everyone will realize it is better than having wet sheets or sleeping bag and the place smelling like urine. Oh sure, some kids might make fun of you but I think it would be on the same level as when you slip on a wet surface and fall face first into a mud puddle. Quick short laugh then onto the next amusement of the day at camp...BB Guns! Oh that kid(s) that wears some form of diaper protection at night? So what, old news, a lot of kids wear nighttime protection nowadays (or are only 3 or 4 families in the USA buying all the Goodnights up?).

Yeah... I would definitely say that's hopeful thinking lol. I work with kids and they can be BRUTAL at a very young age. Bullying behavior exists even in the preschool and kindergarten levels. Perhaps it's not as common, but if a child grows up being told that's how you act, then that's how they present themselves.

I do think kids nowadays are exposed to a lot more discussions about disability awareness and tolerance, which might offer a bit of a buffer. I still guarantee the bedwetting stigma continues to exist very strongly. It's sad, and they need to be explicitly taught why that's not okay, but people make fun of the things they don't understand.

I camped a lot and never had issues bedwetting, though I did have a friend who wet the bed in cub Scouts. I never spread that secret out because he was kind and I knew that wasn't okay to do, but I definitely felt uncomfortable because I was taught by my dad's side of the family to talk down to anyone who showed ANY behaviors deemed immature. We were a very toxic masculine family. I regret a lot of things about my upbringing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back