Can someone explain why 2+ gallon capacity diapers exist...?

KeepCalmAndDiaperOn

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I'm new and am interested in understanding as much about AB/DL as much as possible. So you'll probably see a couple more threads from me 😆

The large capacity of some of these diapers perplexes me because while I love the fact that they can hold so much, carrying it around is a whole 'nother thing.

Are there AB/DLs who will wear these large capacity diapers until they have 2-3 gallons of wettings in there? Is it for the roleplay aspect where they're maybe rolling around on the floor or in a crib where movement isn't necessary?

Thank you for your insights :)

Reactions: Lostdiapersboy, AttilaThePun, dlboylife and 4 others
Some have over active bladders I could see them for that especially for night use. I personally couldn’t stand that much weight myself

Reactions: AttilaThePun, janedoediaper, Diaperman95 and 1 other person
No. I agree. 1000 mL is 1 L and that's 2.2 lbs. Some diapers claim 8,000 to 10,000 mL capacity. A diaper with 10,000 mL would weigh 22 lbs. No one can walk around in a 22 lb diaper!

The high capacity diapers allow for way more pee than is meant for a diaper to hold. I wet the bed and sometimes wake up with a 2,000 mL diaper. The capacity of the diaper is 6,000 mL, but because of that large difference, I don't have leaks. So I use a 6 L diaper to contain 2 L of fluid and it works well.

Reactions: Js413blue, bugme, AttilaThePun and 10 others
I have really bad urinary incontinence and I'll take all I can get out of a diaper to help get me through a 10-12 hour workday.
I know how to keep a heavy diaper from sagging, been doing it the last 11 years 24/7.
At work, I dont have the facility to change frequently and heavily depend on my diaper to take anything I can throw at it without worrying about leaking.🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: jcwilliams343, AttilaThePun, FaeMattie and 6 others
On the one hand, it seems like a stupid marketing game. On the other... If I'm going to spend $2-3 on a diaper, I don't mind being able to wear it pretty much all day. I can be sure it won't leak, and it's fun to end the day with a super full, squishy diaper and a pronounced waddle. :) I'll never get anywhere near those theoretical capacity figures. If I've ever peed a whole gallon into a diaper, I'd be surprised. But the extra headroom, as @messydiaper said, brings a margin of safety, and that's not exactly worthless.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ChronoKitten, bugme, Woncrinklz and 8 others
Get a high capacity diaper to capacity naturally is not going to happen. I do like the fact that I can get a whole lot of use out of one without a leak . They are a great night time diaper. I have been known to wear one for a 16hr day. It's absolutely a task to try to walk . But I love that.

• Haha
  • Thinking
Reactions: AttilaThePun, Woncrinklz, Deleted member 73779 and 2 others
Ahh i love the high capacity stuff.
They last all night without leaking and they look amazing 😍

• Love
Reactions: BBBen, AttilaThePun, Woncrinklz and 5 others
High capacity diapers are great because you can enjoy them longer. I only tend to buy high capacity diapers. Tykables, NRU, Rearz, and Megamax. Those are the brands I have on hand right now.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Woncrinklz, Davvyboy and 2 others
I always thought it was just marketing , so if you are someone worried about leakage then you have piece of mind ? I’m so confused I’ve never worn a diaper for more than 6-8 hours . That’s so much it would be falling off of the person

Reactions: Js413blue, AttilaThePun, Davvyboy and 1 other person
I personally take all those figures they show with a pinch of salt I have never known a 6000ml capacity diaper to actually hold 6000ml.

I see it more as a marketing effort, instead of using "plus, super, maxi" etc. Which can be difficult to know how they will actually perform and can be vastly different between companies, a "ml" figure is a bit more obvious.

The most I have ever seen a 6000ml diaper hold is maybe just over 2000ml before it leaks.

They could also be getting those figures from math alone without taking chemistry into account, if the polymer can absorb 200 times its weight then adding 30g of SAP should mathematically be 6000ml (30×200), but salts cause SAP'S chemical bonds to break down and so release its fluid and urine contains a lot of salt depending on how hydrated you are.

This is a trick older diaper TV adverts used to use to look better than their competition, if you've ever seen an advert for diapers where they pour water into their nappy and an unnamed "competitor" to show which holds more they would use pure water in theirs and a high concentration salt water for the competitor.

I will always divide those figure they show now by 3 to get a best case scenario of how much it might really hold.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Woncrinklz, GabyinPurple and 2 others
Wearing a high capacity premium diaper means I can focus on what I'm doing as I go through the day rather than on whether my diaper is going to leak. That's worth their higher cost to me.

It doesn't take long to become used to (and, for me at least, comfortable with) going for long periods without a change. And the higher cost of premium diapers is offset to some extent by needing to use fewer of them.

Wearing diapers I can't trust not to leak and have to change frequently saves neither time nor money, and it attacks my self-confidence. No, thank you!

The capacity numbers advertised for premium diapers do sound ridiculous, I agree. They indicate only that, under certain conditions, the diaper will absorb a given amount of fluid. I don't "hear" the numbers as an invitation to try to fill the diaper with that amount.

• Love
Reactions: Kellycares, AttilaThePun, Woncrinklz and 3 others
KeepCalmAndDiaperOn said:
Are there AB/DLs who will wear these large capacity diapers until they have 2-3 gallons of wettings in there?
Really? No. Two to three gallons? Never. It would be comical to try wearing one with that much liquid.I don't wear those high capacity diapers. Even though I'm incontinent I simply wear a quality medical diaper. Still, not actuality cheap but they're moderately priced. For sleeping or doing a larger time between changes (like concerts or just being out for 6 or 7 hours), I typically add a great booster (like Etenadry XL contour booster (27" x 10") for sleeping (and extended time to limit changing). Feel free to wear these high capacity diapers (for fun?). Oh...don't forget some plastic pants. Even
though I'm not a fan wearing them I always wear them for sleeping.

Reactions: Js413blue, AttilaThePun and GabyinPurple
I've never measured or researched it, how much urine does an average person produce during a day? 2 gallons seems like a lot, but I could be wrong.

To be honest, no matter how well it is made, I would expect that there would be a high risk of it bursting and making a much larger mess long before reaching 2 gallons of volume.

Reactions: AttilaThePun
It is marketing, but I admit I fall for it, i always look for the capacity.

I love using the diapers to the fullest so is kind of a challengue for me

• Thinking
Reactions: AttilaThePun, WittleDiaperBoi and Jorelaxed
diapernewbie said:
I've never measured or researched it, how much urine does an average person produce during a day? 2 gallons seems like a lot, but I could be wrong.

To be honest, no matter how well it is made, I would expect that there would be a high risk of it bursting and making a much larger mess long before reaching 2 gallons of volume.
The average healthy and well hydrated adult produces around 2 litres of urine a day + or - a couple hundred ml, if they are not drinking enough it can be down to about 800ml.

So if those diapers actually hold 6000ml and someone manages to fill them to capacity regularly in less than 24 hours they really need to get a medical check up to see how much damage overhydrating has done to their body.

And yeah if you've even seen a 2 litre bottle of coke and how big that is, imagine having 3 of them cramped inside a diaper it's not how a happen without splitting and that's just for the lower end 6000ml ones let alone a 10,000ml capacity diaper.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: AttilaThePun, TigerDL and Freddie07601
littledinogoesrawr said:
It is marketing, but I admit I fall for it, i always look for the capacity.

I love using the diapers to the fullest so is kind of a challengue for me
This! Marketing for sure. And the ml amount doesn't seem like as much to people, maybe? Imagine if the packages said "holds up to 2.1 gallons!" 😆

Reactions: Kellycares, AttilaThePun, dllovergirl83 and 1 other person
This! Marketing for sure. And the ml amount doesn't seem like as much to people, maybe? Imagine if the packages said "holds up to 2.1 gallons!" 😆
Works for me🫣
I see a diaper with a large capacity..
I’m so in!

Reactions: Davvyboy
SOooOOoOo i wet every 30-40 mins especially in the morning.… if wfh and I have a morning full of meetings you bet i go into a high capcity 11000ml diaper and it will last a good 3-4 hours otherwise reg capacity I am changing out of within an hour. I hate leaking in meetings somit nice to have the extra padding. Wouldn’t I wear one to run errands with no it makes no sense. Walking becomes waddling and it’s uncomfortable So I use regular capacity. I also wear high capacity to bed.
now for you 2 gallons question I have read people enjoy full diapers and will fill it with water. Or food just to enjoy. To each their own.

Reactions: paul484819, AttilaThePun and Davvyboy
I find it impossible to get past the mid bum before they leak. I have to control how I position my pelvis to either get it to run backwards. Lift my bum teehee. If i am sitting for a long time i notice I am so front heavy and the back is dry. Because I don’t use for no 2 I rarely fill them up full full full.

Reactions: paul484819 and Davvyboy
Yeah I got no use for a high capacity diaper. Although I like the thickness when it's dry but after a few wettings I'm looking forward to a change. High capacity diapers just absorb up front which in turn makes it super uncomfortable to wear. I prefer 5000ml and less.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and KeepCalmAndDiaperOn
Back