Can anyone identify this species

PrettyLilPrincess

Advocate for Cloth-Backed Diapers
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
583D04E7-9C92-4D77-A950-81412BDD0CFA.jpegI live on the coast of North Carolina, and I’ve been seeing these wasp-looking things around lately. This one managed to find its way between the screen and the sliding glass door. Does anyone know what they are? I think they’re between an inch to an inch and a half in length.

• Wow
Reactions: Deleted member 57387
Legnth ? Is bad image, but it'd be asian wasp... We've it in Spain from about 15 years ago. Is imported invader.

asian-giant-hornet-id-h.jpg

Reactions: LittleLunauwu
I read in the news recently that's there's a new very large stinging bee or wasp that has come from Asia but I don't think that's it. It looks like a very large wasp. I hate wasps because they'll sting without provocation.

Reactions: Lightstreak2553
dogboy said:
I read in the news recently that's there's a new very large stinging bee or wasp that has come from Asia but I don't think that's it. It looks like a very large wasp. I hate wasps because they'll sting without provocation.
Bees at least make honey, and pollinate plants making them invaluable creatures. If they sting, they only do so one time.
Wasps and their cohorts (Hornets/Yellow Jackets/etc.), on the other paw? These insect demons from the lowest planes of Oblivion are armed with assault butt-wielding-daggers and can keep stinging you till you die. Or wish you did?!
Make friends with a fire breathing dragon, and deliver Unto them the Fate they deserve!
:)

Reactions: Lightstreak2553
I kinda doubt it’s one of those Asian hornets, as this one seems a bit too slender. But I could be wrong.

one thing for sure its part of the wasp|Hoornets family if there a better picture i would be able to tell but looks alot like Asian Hornets

could also be a Paper Wasps not sure

I'd guess Mahogany Wasp, but tough to say for sure from the picture.

They're all over the place around Tennessee at least, and probably NC too.

Reactions: LittleLunauwu
PrettyLilPrincess said:
View attachment 75444I live on the coast of North Carolina, and I’ve been seeing these wasp-looking things around lately. This one managed to find its way between the screen and the sliding glass door. Does anyone know what they are? I think they’re between an inch to an inch and a half in length.
Whatever it is, it’s not coming in my house!!

J x. I’d rather have a 🕷

The picture is not very clear but did it look anything like This or This, These can also have many different colours and patterns depending on the variety. The Parasitoid wasp is quite commonly found around agricultural areas and the large "stinger" looking thing on its back is actually an ovipositor which it uses to lay eggs on/in other insects which when hatching will devour the host (hence the name Parasitoid).

Looks like a mud/dirt dauber wasp. We have them here in Canada, they primarily eat spiders, and make tube like nests out of mud.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lightstreak2553 and Pissingtiger
Mud wasp looks good, but it's hard to tell as there are loads of species, with colour variations therein.
Diluted washing-up/dish-soap liquid in a squeezy/trigger bottle makes for a good, non-toxic deterrent (fogs up their vision and sticks their wings with the first shot) and killer (may take several squirts and minutes for death; the sticky soap clogs up their breathing pores).

Reactions: Lightstreak2553 and Pissingtiger
I know what kind it is.......

It's smashed and stomped dead 😁

Reactions: DiaperedKhajiit
Back