Buying a new washing machine. Asking for your help.

Sprint3473 said:
...and will defiantly buy again...
Shouldn't that be "definitely"? Defiantly means you'll buy one out of spite. Just a thought, amíge! 🥳

Last edited:
Sprint3473 said:
Any machine these days worth anything will be made by a Corporate Giant...

I'm glad your Samsung works. But other people aren't necessarily going to have the same experience, because of what I said above.

And speed queen isn't a corporate giant in the same sense of Samsung. For example, speed queen does not source their parts or do their assembly in China.

Psssst: I know how to fix Kenmore/Maytag/Clone washing machine agitators...for pennies! 🧰🥳🥳🥳🥰

Last edited:
I have a top load whirpool. It's been good for me.

• Love
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
not a fan of speed queen frankly... advice avoid at all costs

When my old top loader started assaulting my diapers and they were coming out torn and ripped, despite not being able to find any sharp edges on the agitator or drum, I knew it had to go. Since I generate a lot of laundry due to me wearing cloth diapers nearly exclusively 24/7 for my dual ic I needed a diaper friendly washer and I chose a LG 4.1 cubic foot HE top loader. It has an agitator that goes up and down as well as back and forth and is supposed to be very gentle on the clothing. I’ve had it and the dryer in my basement for nearly 2 months and I’ve finally got everything ready to install it today. First I’ve got to put it matching dryer in and figure out if the gas leak was from my old dryer or a leak in the supply line for the gas. If the washer works as well as I hope it will I’ll update this post. If it doesn’t I just slink off and nurse my wounded ego.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: DiaperedCherub and BobbiSueEllen
DiaperedCherub said:
Never heard of Speed Queen. I'll look into them. Thanks so far guys on your input. This is a GREAT resource asking in here. Lots of optio s to research and consider.
All laundromats and commercial laundry facilities buy their equipment from speed queen. It's a very reliable brand. No gimmicks, no fancy apps or bluetooth, just pure washing power and reliability. It's like what Mercedes Benz was to cars in the 80s.

arctic said:
Get a speed queen. They're the best out there, the most reliable and they will last for 30 plus years.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Reactions: nectar0001
The transmission on my washing machine failed once. I got it working again with a new, different transmission...a "top-loader". 🤣

Gentles get 1st gear; spin cycle gets overdrive. Slip the clutch to get it going faster. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: DiaperedCherub, Ecchi231 and Jed51
I'm pretty happy with my GE top load washer I bought 3 years ago, still all mechanical no motherboard to crap out, no unnecessary blue tooth or WiFi... it just washes clothes! I was happy with the whirlpool I had before that as well but it was probably 20 years old so I can't speak for the quality today. Stay away from anything front load, they always smell like sour mop or wet dog and the locking mechanism for the door seems to have a lot of problems too. Samsung and LG are great for starting fires, their quality control isn't the greatest and wires tend to rub or come loose and cause a short thus starting a fire.

DiaperedCherub said:
Never heard of Speed Queen. I'll look into them. Thanks so far guys on your input. This is a GREAT resource asking in here. Lots of optio s to research and consider.
I hadn't either before I started researching washers & dryers when my previous ones started to have issues. They're the best-kept secret in laundry. As someone else said in this thread, the vast majority of commercial washers and dryers in laundromats come from Speed Queen. They aren't fancy, they just work. And keep working and working and working...

Sprint3473 said:
not a fan of speed queen frankly... advice avoid at all costs
Might I inquire as to why? Genuinely curious, as I've not found a bad report from anyone who's actually had one.

BobbiSueEllen said:
The transmission on my washing machine failed once. I got it working again with a new, different transmission...a "top-loader". 🤣

Gentles get 1st gear; spin cycle gets overdrive. Slip the clutch to get it going faster. 🤣
LOL close-ratio or wide-ratio toploader?

• Haha
Ecchi231 said:
LOL close-ratio or wide-ratio toploader?
Wide-ratio...with transfer case to run the washing machine and diaper-steamer! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Ecchi231
BobbiSueEllen said:
Wide-ratio...with transfer case to run the washing machine and diaper-steamer! 🤣
I don’t know, you shouldn’t have to double clutch just to get your diapers clean!

• Haha
Reactions: Ecchi231, BBBen and BobbiSueEllen
Zeke said:
I don’t know, you shouldn’t have to double clutch just to get your diapers clean!
I have a drag-built Turbo 400 in the shed... 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: Ecchi231, Zeke, BBBen and 1 other person
Sprint3473 said:
We have a Samsung washer and dryer, and we have been quite happy with them. As far as mildew goes, we do leave the door to the washing machine open, and we have not had any issues with it. Additionally, we do have Wi-Fi adapters for them; the push notifications when they are finished washing or drying are very lovely. They can be connected to Home Assistant if you want more home automation options
And Samsung does a cool finishing sound

We bought a front load about 5 years ago and have had to have the damn thing repaired 3 times been currently waiting 3 weeks for this one to be repaired. Now we have supposed all the parts in our shed, but the people have not come to repair the darned thing. I will never buy another like this.

I have had it with high-tech, super-duper, wash machines that texts you when it's done. Add the nightmare of front load and their assured issues with smell and filling their drain line that allows the washing tank to drain when they fail, not if! I am happy to hear that some are having good luck with them!

We have left that electronic over-load of basic laundry products and returned to the simplicity of top load, simple, Commercial Grade Washers with limited setting, but have what is needed to wash diapers everyday! We currently own a four year old Maytag Commercial Series that has washed a couple of loads, each day with at least one of the loads being cloth diapers.

FYI: Those high-tech washer and drier machine want their 'own power source' all the way back to your power panel to limit fighting between the mother boards, which tends to cause one or the other to short them out!

Reactions: bdale and BobbiSueEllen
Edgewater said:
FYI: Those high-tech washer and drier machine want their 'own power source' all the way back to your power panel to limit fighting between the mother boards, which tends to cause one or the other to short them out!
So, is the dryer electric or gas?

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater
BobbiSueEllen said:
I have a drag-built Turbo 400 in the shed... 🤭
What did B&M used to call their Turbo 400 with a clutch in place of the torque converter? A Turbo-Clutch maybe? I remember they called a like equipped 727 TorqueFlite a Clutch-Flite.

• Thinking
Reactions: Ecchi231, BobbiSueEllen and Edgewater
Back