Braces

jdlake131

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
I'm 42 now and my dentist told me a year ago I would be helpful if I got braces. I didn't like the idea but I finally went. I have complete braces and I still have almost another year to go. I did suck my thumb when I was a kid but I haven't done that since I was 7 years old. Have you ever been in braces as an adult? It's embarrassing. Between IC and diapers to wearing braces makes me like a kid. My girlfriend tells me that my teeth will be perfect and diapers doesn't matter. I'm used to wearing diapers. They've been since the beginning. But braces as an adult makes me like a child. No one sees my diapers but braces are so...obvious.

You should've had those Invisalign braces. I had braces when I was a teen. I still have a retainer. They are clear "plastic" and I get a new one every 5 years. But since you have the metal ones you'll be fine. I had metal braces for almost 2 years. You'll be glad when you're done.

I never had braces as a kid. I had too many other medical problems and hated going to the dentist anyway. Now there's an 1/8th inch gap between my two front teeth! Oh, well. Sucks to be other people who stare at my mouth!

In all seriousness though, teeth do change and shift around as we get older. I'm 38 years old now and need to start wearing a nightguard because I grind my teeth in my sleep. I'm also looking at a couple of crowns this year to protect the two back teeth I'm slowly grinding away. I don't know, I wouldn't worry about having to wear braces.

I'm looking at getting braces as a 30yo adult.
I had them in the past when education wasn't as good and permanent retainer wearing wasn't required. I wore as required until such time as I was told I could stop.

I will be looking at fixed braces as I don't like the plastic Invisalign feel.

DLSA said:
I'm looking at getting braces as a 30yo adult.
I had them in the past when education wasn't as good and permanent retainer wearing wasn't required. I wore as required until such time as I was told I could stop.

I will be looking at fixed braces as I don't like the plastic Invisalign feel.
I use Invisalign retainer. I wear them when I go to sleep. I can't imagine metal braces are any worst than Invisalign. When I was a kid (the early 2000's)
I had medal braces. The retainer I use now are pretty comfortable. I guess it's a choice. But when I use my retainer they're almost unseen. If you're going as an adult I'd consider Invisalign.

Invisalign is very expensive.
The cheaper option is metal or ceramic.

I also like the look and feel of metal.

My wife got braces last week and went with metal braces. Reason being is you have to brush your teeth every time you eat or drink something before you put Invisalign back on. She’s a chef so tasting food a constant part of her job - it had to be metal braces.

I think she likes the juvenile look of them too.

Last edited:
LaPew said:
My wife got braces last week and went with metal braces. Reason being is you have to brush your teeth every time you eat or drink something

I think she likes the juvenile look of them too.
I was a teenager (I was 14) when I got my braces. The brackets were actually ceramic (almost invisible) but had a metal band across them. People could still see them but not as bad as full metal braces. I remember my older brother was driving me somewhere and after I got my braces he looked over me with a funny look and said "do you have braces?" He had to take a second look. He barely saw them. Either way, I bet she looks cute with her braces.

Back