Boys brought up as girls - because the family was poor

Sissyleslie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Sissy
There have been some instances where a boy was dressed and brought up as a girl as a form of punishment.

However, there is another reason- poverty. I know of someone, a man who was dressed and brought up as a girl until he was 9 years old. The reason was that the family wasn't well-off financially. So it was a lot easier for him to be dressed in some hand-me-down clothes.

Not surprisingly, he became a cross-dresser in his adult life.

Reactions: rbm, richieboy, Happy2BeInNappies2 and 4 others
Makes me think of the movie Robots lol
EXHuk9KU4AAcQOn.jpg

If anyone remembers this scene

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: star, BabyprinceS, michaelmc and 3 others
Sissyleslie said:
There have been some instances where a boy was dressed and brought up as a girl as a form of punishment.

However, there is another reason- poverty. I know of someone, a man who was dressed and brought up as a girl until he was 9 years old. The reason was that the family wasn't well-off financially. So it was a lot easier for him to be dressed in some hand-me-down clothes.

About 50 years ago there was a crossdressers support group here (Tri-ess), primarily for straight, married couples. I met an older man there with a story exactly like that. He'd been born and raised in Appalachia during the depression, the youngest of four kids, with three older sisters. He wasn't given any male clothing, only hand-me-downs, until he was big enough to go to work around age 10. He never saw the inside of a school room of any sort until he went in the Army. After the war he used the GI bill to get an education and lived with his oldest sister while in college and what started as a joke between them resulted in his wearing her clothes again and he'd been crossdressing ever since.

Reactions: New2slavery, rbm, GirlGirlBoy and 5 others
Weren’t boys often kept in dresses until they were five or six a century or so ago?

• Love
Reactions: Floodingpants, Freddie07601, OriginalWetone and 6 others
Prior to the Great Depression, it was ever more common that dresses was the clothing of all babies as they simply made changing diapers far easier.

Reactions: JazzBaby, OriginalWetone, AJFan2020 and 5 others
Sissyleslie said:

The sad part is, I wouldn't mind this. In fact I would love it. 😳

• Love
Reactions: JazzBaby, Humperdink2, puddlefeet and 5 others
Someone in a forum years ago said that a female relative in the Civil War (1861-5) dressed her sons as women so they wouldn’t be drafted into the army.

• Wow
Reactions: ShyBoo81, OriginalWetone, Ceary and 5 others
I wasn't brought up as a girl, but until the point I went to school my mom would have me wear some of my older sister's clothes that she outgrew... She was a single mom and some of it was getting by with what we had, though she never said it to me but especially when I was younger I think she would have preferred I was a girl...

• Sad
Reactions: JazzBaby, New2slavery, rbm and 5 others
KittyninjaW said:
The sad part is, I wouldn't mind this. In fact I would love it. 😳

Oh, me too, KittyninjaW! Would have absolutely LOVED growing up as a "gurl" in panties and dresses, under Big Sister and/or Mommy or Auntie control and domination.

• Love
Reactions: daisycupcake, Edgewater, OriginalWetone and 3 others
Harley07 said:
I wasn't brought up as a girl, but until the point I went to school my mom would have me wear some of my older sister's clothes that she outgrew... She was a single mom and some of it was getting by with what we had, though she never said it to me but especially when I was younger I think she would have preferred I was a girl...
What a thrilling realization. But I have wondered about that too!

Reactions: Edgewater, OriginalWetone and Seasonedcitizen
Sissyleslie said:

If I remember correctly Orson Wells was dressed in his sisters hand me downs until he could work and buy his own clothes. I think it was orson but it may have been another celebrity .

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: LonelyFOX, Edgewater, OriginalWetone and 2 others
Edgewater said:
Prior to the Great Depression, it was ever more common that dresses was the clothing of all babies as they simply made changing diapers far easier.
There is a picture of a former president in a dress as a young child. I think it was Teddy Roosevelt. (Could have the wrong president here...)
Dependonme

Last edited:
Reactions: OriginalWetone and Seasonedcitizen
Abnalover said:
There is a picture of a former president in a dress as a young child. I think it was Teddy Roosevelt. (Could have the wrong president here...)
Dependonme
Correction: It is a pic of FDR.
Dependonme

Reactions: Edgewater, OriginalWetone, Seasonedcitizen and 2 others
JaysonTheRegressor said:
Makes me think of the movie Robots lol
EXHuk9KU4AAcQOn.jpg

If anyone remembers this scene
I do not remember this scene I need to go back and watch this movie now lol

• Haha
Reactions: OriginalWetone, Edgewater and JaysonTheRegressor
Dependonme

Attachments

• k2_items_src_97aa066dcc42404e7602768333af5659.jpg
    k2_items_src_97aa066dcc42404e7602768333af5659.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Love
Reactions: michaelmc, Edgewater, OriginalWetone and 3 others
Love this picture of the very young and adorable FDR!

Reactions: michaelmc, Edgewater, OriginalWetone and 1 other person
Ali123 said:
Weren’t boys often kept in dresses until they were five or six a century or so ago?
Not sure about that but I do know my sister dressed me in girls clothes til I was 4 or so, or until my father saw, and went nuts!

Reactions: JazzBaby, chuckles, Edgewater and 1 other person
GirlGirlBoy said:
Love this picture of the very young and adorable FDR!
It was considered a sign of status and wealth for young boys to be fully dressed out like FDR is, until they were 6 or 7 years old. I would love to see that tradition make a come back!
Dependonme

Reactions: JazzBaby, Edgewater and OriginalWetone
Abnalover said:
It was considered a sign of status and wealth for young boys to be fully dressed out like FDR is, until they were 6 or 7 years old. I would love to see that tradition make a come back!
Dependonme
Aggreed!

Reactions: JazzBaby, Edgewater and OriginalWetone
Back