Biggest obstacles of being incontinent/wearing diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.
anna s said:
Firstly Im not incontinent in any way, but I do like to wear to wear as often as possible like many people that come to visit this site. Often I do wear when Im out and about going around my daily business.

Like many others have previously stated in posts before mine, changing in public because of direct conflict with other people is my biggest obstacle. I always tend to use the same places where possible where I know the facilities are good. Like disabled toilets for example. I have only ever had one instance when I was questioned by somebody why I was using a disabled toilet. I think I may have mentioned this story previously in a thread but I think its relevant to tell it again.

I was travelling to visit a friend and stopped off somewhere for a break from driving, at the time I decided I would have a change because I was a bit wet. I went into the disabled toilet to change. When I was changing, somebody tugged at the door, so I knew somebody was waiting so I was as quick as possible. The person waiting was a rather "large" older lady. She said "your toilets are over there". I said "excuse me?" she said it again. At this point I felt the need to defend my actions as to why I was using "not the right toilet". I was thinking I need to defend people that actually wear 24/7 from such small mindedness. So I took the approach that I was a 24/7 wearer and basically unloaded my trail of thoughts on the lady and that she shouldnt judge people on their abilities and looks etc. I must admit I did feel a little bad after but I think I made my point as she doesnt know me and as far as I was concerned I could have easily been a "genuine" wearer for a medical condition that she decided to cast judgement on. I dont think she will do it again in a hurry anyway. But yep thats my biggest obstacle, but Im always happy to tell somebody my thoughts if need be lol.

I've actually been confronted very few times when using a disabled toilet. Even if someone does I try not to get irritated, really not worth my time. I don't have to explain my self and share my personal information for other peoples worries, I have my own stuff to deal with.

There are many hardships with wearing adult briefs/diapers full time - especially for bowel accidents during the day while out. An unmentioned problem of wearing briefs and plastic pants or not is walking around or walking for a long period. They can really chafe one's inner thigh and cause diaper rash. When they are soiled and full of urine, the rubbing gets even worse. 24/7 confidry briefs are really comfortable between the legs but they are expensive. I can wear them under cargo pants as gym shorts without anything over the disposable briefs except a singlet for support. Plastic pants can help the chafing, but they have to be smooth also. Even though they are plastic they are basically silent. Of course you want to seal around legs and waist. If you in a wheelchair (especially with no sensation in legs), diapers are easier in terms of comfort but you have to visually make sure there was no rubbing. I used to have this problem and had to check myself all the time. Bowel accidents also cause irritation, even if you can mask the smell. I also write with a marker the time on the diaper as a little indicator. And I try to alternate between brands from day to night and during day so the rubbing isn't always in the same place. I learned this technique during physical therapy. There were several other guys who had to wear full protection like me. Of course, one of the things you had to learn was to change yourself in a wheelchair. I used a pair of pants that opened in the front - adaptive something.

IMG_6137.jpg

products i use and find helpful: confidry 24/7 small. swim diaper, tena slip, abena fecal pad.

Attachments

• IMG_6257.jpg
    IMG_6257.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 103
I feel that changing in public in a public bathroom is the hardest. (not a handicapped bathroom) I usually don't care too much that I am padded outside my house, it really doesn't bother me but changing does. I have urge incontinence and usually only wet, but sometimes have a BM. I don't wear 24/7 but close.

chestnut7718 said:
View attachment 28136

products i use and find helpful: confidry 24/7 small. swim diaper, tena slip, abena fecal pad.

Those snap-ons appear to fit just right over a disposable. Who makes them?

they are haian from china

It's rare having someone approach me because of my diapers, but it does happen. Almost always its by the small minded people who can't deal with anyone or anything that threatens their own perfect way they think the worlds should be. They are the ones that confront and berate others like us.

This used to bother me, but I got over caring what others think of me. Now I'm more likely to just tell them off and go about my day.

being away from home and leaking with no diaper to change into and a 25 minute drive home.

Nah, that one is easy. Whenever you get even close to leaking just buy a few cheap baby diapers and use them as stuffers. Of course, even easier is to just always keep an extra diaper or two in your car.

The biggest obstacle for me is public changing. I have a phobia of public bathrooms and sometimes it takes an act of god for me to go into one. But yea thats my biggest obstacle.

My biggest obstacles for wearing diapers are hiding them when I have company over and getting some privacy while changing.

To hide the one I'm wearing depends on what kind of diaper. If it's an adult diaper, I can walk just fine. If it's an ABDL diaper, the way I walk can be a dead giveaway, there's the crinkly sound that I have to cover, and many of them are very thick. If it's a baby diaper, it'll be put inside a pair of tighty-whities, until I get my Convert-ups which is taking forever to get delivered.

When I'm changing, the door has to be locked, or else someone will walk in and see something unpleasant. Messing is a similar issue, there's just wipes added in. Disposal isn't a problem at all for me.

My obstacle is how to hide the purple bow printed on the front of the always discreet underwear such as the purple dragonfly printed on the Tena stylish underwear.

I dread changing at wk. I just can't see me going 8 hrs w/ o a change, no matter what I wear. I've herd of others using a dry 24/7 or Abena 4 for all day, but no matter how much capacity, I feel like I need to change after about 4 hrs.

trouble63 said:
I dread changing at wk. I just can't see me going 8 hrs w/ o a change, no matter what I wear. I've herd of others using a dry 24/7 or Abena 4 for all day, but no matter how much capacity, I feel like I need to change after about 4 hrs.

I've only had to once. Overdid it and had just started to leak. I only had an hour or so to go but it would have only gotten worse. Try to always have a change and disposal option available.

I would definitely agree on having a disdain for changing in a public restroom. Ick. Another obstacle for many of us with urge incontinence is dealing with doctors who would rather do surgery than accept their patient has decided to manage the problem with diapers. I've been through a lot of doctors and run into those that have "diaper" prejudice or an aversion to "pads" as they like to call them. They see it as giving in and I can understand where they are coming from. However, they aren't the one dealing with this and potentially taking risks with medications and surgeries that can cause problems beyond the incontinence.

About six months ago I saw my new primary care physician and was surprised when she offered to write a prescription for my diapers. I turned her down (because we had already budgeted for diapers through our Flexible Spending Account), but it was nice to hear that. She did say that another round of diagnostic tests might be a good idea down the road. She's probably right about that, but my last full workup (urodynamic testing, cytoscope, etc.) was a painful nightmare so I'm not looking forward to it. But, yeah finding the right doctor can be a challenge.

Spaz said:
dealing with doctors who would rather do surgery than accept their patient has decided to manage the problem with diapers.

I'd imagine some of that is their typical drive to "fix probems" rather than "manage problems".
About six months ago I saw my new primary care physician and was surprised when she offered to write a prescription for my diapers. I turned her down (because we had already budgeted for diapers through our Flexible Spending Account),

Wouldn't that have saved you a little money getting insurance to kick in some for it? Or does your insurance not cover it?

I have to manage bm and urine filled briefs away from home at least once a day.

Onesieman said:
If it's an ABDL diaper, the way I walk can be a dead giveaway

That's strange to me. Even when I've worn two Bellissimos at the same time, it hasn't affected the way I walked at all. The only thing that ever has was wearing my diaper cover with ten prefold cloth diapers. I wonder if the gap between my legs is unusually wide or something.

trouble63 said:

It'll smell bad by the end of the day even when well hydrated. I've been forced to do it a few times in life, and even I can smell the odor on myself at that point, so then I have to avoid people after lunch.

Spaz said:
I've been through a lot of doctors and run into those that have "diaper" prejudice or an aversion to "pads" as they like to call them.

Not really a surprise. Despite all their training, they're still regular people. And we're all taught from 2-3 years old how "awful" and "babyish" diapers are, to try and toilet train us.

Stuff drilled into you at 2-3 is some of the hardest programming to break. Even for us, we have to deal with years of binge and purge feelings of guilt before we can accept ourselves.

For me it is wearing around people who don't know that I like to wear diapers because changing is a bit of an obstacle getting alone time to do it.

The big thing for me is just being able to wear, use, and enjoy diapers. The very few people that know about my ABDL interest don't accept it at all. It makes it very difficult for me to get away with it.

I can deal with being out in public diapered, changing, basically just about anything else to do with it. It's just others' acceptance that becomes my biggest obstacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back