Big me is actually little me.

Girlowl said:
I sort of relate. Honestly, the only reason my "little me" isn't more prominent is because I have a real life kid. Most of the little things I like I can enjoy as my big self too. But I can't be a baby while raising a baby, so I have no choice but to make a very clear divide. Plus I'm irritable around kids and not much alone time, so i don't feel very "little" most of the time unfortunately
Hi, just wanna say that I relate to your post, I'm a single parent, finding time for little me is a struggle. Sometimes I can connect with my daughter in a childlike space, mostly it's hard cos I still have a head full of adult to do's. I also get really, really irritable at times, usually cos my emotional needs have gone unmet for too long. It's hard being a parent, hang in there 💙

lilstevie56 said:
I can relate . My thoughts during the day ,, why do I always have to play the abdult.
Abdult... you just made a new word for what I am! Love it!

• Thinking
Reactions: lilstevie56 and Blekyss
I struggled with a very wide band width of constant 'clamor' from my little up until about 2 years ago when I went back into nappies fully 24/7.
The band width significantly became narrower and a lot more constant knowing that I have this continuous connection and reminder of my little, without that constant nagging need to let him out.
Before then (now 4 years) I was only put in nappies overnight, this helped at the time, and gave me some little time every single evening, but, it was still not enough.

Before I was forced out to my wife, hiding behind big me was tough, but it did make me the highly skilled and motivated professional I became.
Now retired early and with the truly awsome love and trust of my wife/mummy I am now that once lonely little toddler for at least half of every day AND in a nappy when I have to be big.... to me, the very very best of both of me!

Reactions: lulu22 and Lyric
DiaperedElmo said:
I attempted to respond to thread here that read along the lines of "Big me vs little me". I drafted so many different responses, but just couldn't write one. It's really hard for me to distinguish between big me and little me. Why?

Because I am little me. There almost isn't a big me. Sure, big me might use bigger words and act more serious and corporate, but it's a facade; underneath I'm still little me.

Does anybody else feel like there are just their little selves all the time?
I for sure feel this way all the time. Big me is a mask that’s icky. Turfy is the real me. My personality simply is Little.

Back when I was a working full time in a highly competitive professional life, taking time out once in a while to pin my diapers on, regress to an earlier phase of my life when I could wet my bed and wore diapers every night, was my way of managing the stress from my work. I'd wear them for a day or night, go potty in them and fell so stress free.

Reactions: Traveller
Borz said:
If a company gave you an option to turn back into your true age would you?

YES, YES, YES. Yes, definitely 200%. There is no bigger wish than for me to be a 4 year old so I could match my emotional / social / mental age with my physical body. Not only that, but most people I know, including old college instructors, my librarian friends, my close personal friends from elementary school to college, parents of young children that I know or have known, and maybe even some actual preschoolers and younger children would totally support this wish of mine 200%. There's almost no question. I would have nothing to lose at all (as I virtually don't have any adult rights anyway) - and everything to gain (by getting back my "child" rights). Heck, I have a feeling even my enemies and former bullies would probably agree there, with my friends.

This would be perhaps a different situation if I didn't have more severe Classic Autism and ADHD, if I was "normal" and nonautistic. I don't feel I've ever really been an adult ever. When I have tried to even act like an adult, it is just such a very poor mimicry that a normal nonautistic 5 year old can do just as well in pretending to act like an adult. Any nonautistic 4 year old even can see that I'm just an overgrown kiddo. In fact, some 4 year olds (in the not so recent past, like 20 years ago), have been slightly (the word slightly should be in italics) unnerved by me, because to end up being like a 4 year old emotionally and socially as an adult, like how I have ended up, would probably be a nightmare for a few children. My social skills and understanding of nonverbal facial cues are so bad that most nonautistic preschoolers can do better than me and also have theory of mind. A lot of Autistic people have lack of theory of mind, even with a college degree. Like when I used to stand up in the middle of a Finite Math class in community college, blocking everyone else's view of the blackboard, while I was writing notes from the blackboard, totally oblivious to the fact that other students behind me couldn't see the blackboard because I was blocking them. It's like a 2 year old toddler blocking your view of the TV - of course, they don't mean to do that. I only am aware of this because my old math instructor from community college told me years later (we have been friends for 27 years).

I seriously have had parents of young children I know (and this is more recent, a few years ago) tell me they think that my life would have been much better and easier if I had just stayed a 4 year old. I even been told by parents that actually. A lot of young children seriously think I'm actually 3 or 4 years old. Of course, older kids like teens or young adults might guess I'm around the area of being chronologically 16 to 19 years old. For most adults, including middle aged and elderly adults even, their guess is I'm around 21 or 22 chronologically if they don't know me. I have a babyish face. I'm really in my mid 40s, but I seriously look like I'm 21 and I still get carded (not that I've ever been drunk. I never even had more than one drink at a meal ever). I look like a very tall 12 year old boy if I wear a longall and T strap shoes.

- longallsboy

Last edited:
Borz said:
If a company gave you an option to turn back into your true age would you?
Absolutely! Only if I could keep my memories though. I feel like my experiences and the understanding of myself I've gained since childhood are important to me actually being able to properly enjoy life as a kid and know what I would want to do with that opportunity. Plus I wouldn't want to put it on my parents to have to raise me a second time.

But to actually have my body de-aged back to a kid with my mind intact, absolutely!

Reactions: Traveller, Deleted member 61864 and longallsboy
DiaperedElmo said:
I attempted to respond to thread here that read along the lines of "Big me vs little me". I drafted so many different responses, but just couldn't write one. It's really hard for me to distinguish between big me and little me. Why?

Because I am little me. There almost isn't a big me. Sure, big me might use bigger words and act more serious and corporate, but it's a facade; underneath I'm still little me.

Definitely. With my more severe Classic Autism and my ADHD, I'm actually like a 4 year old about 99% of the time. To be honest, I don't think I ever acted like an adult in my life ever. Even when I try to imitate an adult, it is a very poor imitation at best. It's about as bad as a 4 year old pretending to be an adult. And just because I can eat at a restaurant without having a tantrum doesn't mean anything, because most young children that I have seen can eat at a restaurant without creating havoc and try to act more mature temporarily in the very short run. But you can't keep that pretense forever if you are not really like an adult.

I'm not sure when was I ever really even an adult. That's laughable in my case. I mean, even my own actual parents think my 9 and 5 year old nephews act more mature than me. I've seen people who are intellectually disabled who are like 10 year olds IQ wise that are much more mature than me. I also still live with my actual biological parents.

Working me in an office, like if I am even a secretary, is like watching a 4 year old running in wild circles around the office and talking nonstop to others. I seriously get out of my seat every 20 minutes. If child labor was legal, some of my past employers would have preferred to hire a 7 year old over me, as 6 and 7 year olds even have better concentration spans. I don't even drive a car because I actually can't concentrate more then 20-25 minutes driving. I have had a driver's license for 25 years, but that's nothing more than a sad joke. Yes, I write a lot, but I also type very fast so I don't have to maintain my concentation longer than 20-25 minutes. I mean, like on responses here on ADISC.

- longallsboy

Last edited:
lilbabyjooce said:
Kinda, to a degree. I said this on that thread but I feel like my little self is my "true" self, I just unfortunately feel like I cannot truly be myself in most situations, most of the time.
I feel this way, too.

Reactions: lilbabyjooce
DiaperedElmo said:

*hug* I think you said it perfectly. I feel like I’m acting when I have to do the big people things…which is often, and it’s exhausting! It leads to a tantrumy toddler lurking just below the exterior. In my case anyway. (I’m feeling that way this morning!)

Back