Best diaper for side sleeper?

kerry said:
Hi, all,

I've been bladder IC for almost a decade, and I've tried lots of different diaper brands. I currently use BetterDry/Crinklz and sometimes MegaMax or Beyond XP5000 (mostly when I have a rash that requires something that fits differently). Over the years, though, I must have tried the majority of diapers from every available brand.

I have specific requirements I need in a diaper: it needs to fit well without slipping; it needs to hold a lot so it won't require frequent changes; it needs to wick moisture away quickly so it feels dry; it needs to resist leaking. Being cute is nice, but not a requirement. I've found that the BetterDry brands mostly satisfy my needs, but nothing seems to work well when I am in bed. I sleep exclusively on my side (specifically my right side), and although I've tried many different brands I have yet to locate a single one that (no matter what they may claim) prevents leaks from this position. I've started sleeping on a pad as well as wearing a diaper, which works to an extent but my movements while asleep often leave me no longer on top of it.

Has anyone found something that they know works?
Rearz Alpacas with booster pad works really good for me. And I love to wet my diaper before bed

Reactions: Diprs2
Mega max seam to work pretty well for me. I sleep on my back or stomach most nights just because years in diapers have taught me that on my back with my man junk pointed down works best. I do how ever lay in my bed on my side when on my laptop like I am right now. Mega Max seams to be the best I have ever used inlaying on my side. That and great reusable bed pads help too.. This is the hardest position for any diaper and the sex does not matter diapers just have a hard time on their side. Booster can help nut tall leak guards seam to help the most.

Seasonedcitizen said:
There is a video series, Real World Incontinence, that tests diapers at different positions.
They are the best. I think everyone should check out their reviews before changing brands

I have to say mega max is pretty good as well, they have very long tails that wrap far around, there is enough room you could probably put some added padding on the side I bet too

As was said cloth is best for side sleepers because it has absorbancy all round including sides but if cloth is not going to work for you for other reasons I might suggest buying some of the disposable boosters/inserts.

They are basically just a rectangle of absorbancy and what you do is run them around your sides back to front underneath the wings of whatever diaper you use as you tape it down so that they are covered by the sides. it would add to the cost and amount of waste to dispose of but if positioned right should help with any wee that runs to the side.

I am a heavy wetter at night. If I’m away from home and cloth diapers are not an option, I will wear an Incontrol Inspire + or similar with an Abena Maxi booster and on top a Dependeco fleece lined PUL diaper cover. It’s the latter that catches any stray leaks that may occur on my side.

I am also a side sleeper and heavy wetter (think flood). What works for me is a quality disposable, covered by a cloth contour diaper and plastic pants. This does the trick most of the time but I do still have leaks, which is why I also use a bed pad. Sometimes, only the disposable gets wet or the cloth is just slightly damp around the legs and I can reuse the cloth the following night. Other times everything is soaked. If it wasn't for fecal IC issues I would wear only cloth at night.

Pino said:
I have got the same problem, using Betterdry, Attends Classic 10 and InControl Essentials, still leaking to often.

I just ordered some special pants to cover and prevent leaks that are not "PVC" alone and not that obvious a diaper cover.
They are tailored to give the briefs some room and have got some small absorbent capacity and a waterproof layer.
I will get them today and i am eager to test them.

They were a suggestion from a German Forum but are from the Netherlands.
i have 4 pairs of these and they are great to stop leaks.

Reactions: 247 and Constantlydamp
Lecktroman said:
i have 4 pairs of these and they are great to stop leaks.
What brand are they?

Some of my advice might not be that helpful, but you need an entire system. first, you should get a rubber mattress, like what is for institutional use, second, you need a plastic mattress cover. Third, you should always use easy to wash bedding. Fourth, you should use an underpad. Fifth, I recommend the Abena L4 plastic-backed brief, with booster if necessary. Sixth, if you have a penis, make sure it stays tucked back in place (you fold a thin booster pad over your penis and then firmly tape it together using medical tape ) and then use an undergarment with moderate compression. Seventh, wear pajamas that are cotton or will otherwise allow wetness to right through. Eighth, wrap an underpad around you, tape it and hold it close to your body with an ACE Bandage. It's involved, but I think it the Abena and underpad setup will greatly reduce leaks, and the other steps will stop a leak from causing more laundry than it needs to. Please feel free to chime in or improvise on these or take what you want and leave the rest.

As others have mentioned cloth ideally would be the best, I will say their are some really good contoured diapers with snaps to avoid pins that work well. Though I do have a few brands of them I would also suggest possible a pocket diaper I have a few from Ecoable it's almost like an all in one. Though not a side sleeper you can dial cloth into your needs or more of a custom absorbency. Also you can use say toddler prefolds on n the sides of any cloth diapers on the sides.

As for disposables I have 2 suggestions

Though they aren't absorbent enough for me if you look at how the absorbent material is on Tranquility ATN's it's almost like the capital letter I [===] vs a barbell or ⌛ hourglass in theory the I shaped pad if fitted correctly (if you have ideal body type) it's supposed to almost touch and creates side protection. But most diapers have the hourglass shape but that's one is to see shape of padding.

The other which is probably best & easiest solution to try is boosters pads, which are like origami in a sense of they can be folded and used in various ways so I would suggest and you may have to mess around with it(basically try placing it than tapping up if that doesn't work try diapering as you do normally and try stuffing a pad along the sides but make sure it it's not poking out) but ideally place a pad that's long to cover your sides so when the extra pee that's not absorbed in main section will be absorbed by the boosters. I personally only know the absorbency of Tranquility Super + contour(which you don't need to unfold)it's 34oz. But in theory if the booster is touching the front and rear padding it should flow through. I personally have an issue at times when seated in my wheelchair I have leaks at top of my diaper so I put a booster pad across my abdomen and it works great.

I do wear a pocket diaper over my diapers when out so if I have any leaks it will absorb them. But any type of pants that are lined should absorb leaks. I have tried plastic pants though it slows a leak down unless there is something absorbent it will leak out at some point

Reactions: Diprs2 and NadyaMayim
BunnyFofo said:
what about wearing one over a disposable? Then again if we're going that route then you might want to try something like Protecbriefs.
Under a disposable would probably be better

Having been there and done that my only success is using cloth or microfibre Nappies covered with a disposable and PUL pants, leaks are now thankfully rare events as the microfibre wicks most of the liquids away to the disposable making the disposable wet evenly throughout.

Terry nappy and cloth booster and oversized rubbers with plastic gathers tucked carefully into the edges of the nappy

Reactions: Zeke and Diprs2
For me cloth diapers and plastic pants work the best.

Reactions: Zeke, Diprs2 and Deleted member 66727
I’m side and stomach sleeping. I laid my stomach position mattress and wearing a diaper during sleep not get a leak on my bed, but diaper leg cuffs are slightly leak. I am pee two or three times during sleep. Side sleep is comforting more. If you have leaks your diaper might add booster pad are nothing happened.

Betterdry works best for me

Diaperman95 said:
What brand are they?
Protecbriefs, they are very good!

• Love
Reactions: Diaperman95
kerry said:
Hi, all,

I've been bladder IC for almost a decade, and I've tried lots of different diaper brands. I currently use BetterDry/Crinklz and sometimes MegaMax or Beyond XP5000 (mostly when I have a rash that requires something that fits differently). Over the years, though, I must have tried the majority of diapers from every available brand.

I have specific requirements I need in a diaper: it needs to fit well without slipping; it needs to hold a lot so it won't require frequent changes; it needs to wick moisture away quickly so it feels dry; it needs to resist leaking. Being cute is nice, but not a requirement. I've found that the BetterDry brands mostly satisfy my needs, but nothing seems to work well when I am in bed. I sleep exclusively on my side (specifically my right side), and although I've tried many different brands I have yet to locate a single one that (no matter what they may claim) prevents leaks from this position. I've started sleeping on a pad as well as wearing a diaper, which works to an extent but my movements while asleep often leave me no longer on top of it.

Has anyone found something that they know works?
I grew up being diapered in thick, pin on, cloth diapers with plastic pants. If diapers are snug and plastic pants are tucked in on all edges, I can keep sheets dry 3-4 nights a week even though I wet numerous times every night. I have never found any disposables very reliable like my thick pin on diapers are.

Reactions: Zeke, Diprs2, Deleted member 66727 and 2 others
MegaMax from Northshore are not bad. Side sleeper and heavy bedwetter

Back