Best adult diaper for power wheelchair user/nonambulatory

emp711

Incontinent with CP looking for friends who get it
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
I have tried several of the premium briefs over the years (Tranquility ATN, Attends 10, Abena original Level 4, XP Medical Absorbency+ level 4, Dry 24/7, Northshore MegaMax, and others). With the exception of the A+ from XP medical which has been discontinued, all of them cut my legs badly because of the elastic around my thighs.

I realize that the purpose of the elastic is to prevent leakage while walking. However, for those of us who are in wheelchairs at least 12 hours per day get skin breakdown because of a feature we do not need, especially if your primary concern is bladder incon. Another constraint for me is that I have to stay with the high capacity stuff because I live independently and have only limited opportunities (usually wake up and bedtime) to be changed.

Is there anything out there that does not have the leg elastic still, is high capacity and plastic backed? Otherwise, does anyone have a stock of the discontinued product that I can buy or other resources/suggestions? If nothing else would be great to know if others are facing this issue.

Thanks

Is it possible to use your current stock/ what you have easier access to, to cut or tear the leakguard (leg elastic still) out and then it wouldnt rub?
All the diapers I own have the elastic leak guard of varying heights and lengths and do a great job of retaining fluids and solids. I would think without the leakguard in place it would have a greater chance of leaks. I am not familiar with skin breakdown issues so I hope someone will chime in with maybe a topical product or using cloth and such.

Reactions: emp711
You are exactly right we end up breaking the elastic most days

DOT's suggestion is exactly what came to my mind as well. I have to wonder, though, if the diapers will tend to leak around the leg openings even though you're not walking - even diapers intended primarily for people in bed have leg elastic.

Have you called Northshore? They have quite the reputation for customer service, and chances are they've already had similar questions from other wheelchair users.

There must be a pretty high proportion of wheelchair users in diapers, so perhaps you could try an incontinence/disability forum...

ChocChip said:
There must be a pretty high proportion of wheelchair users in diapers, so perhaps you could try an incontinence/disability forum...

I think most would go for a catherter option if they could manage themselves.

SAPexpanded said:
I think most would go for a catherter option if they could manage themselves.
Nope, nope, nope, well, at least not with CP they wouldn't. Trust me. We have 3 in 1 house. We're fully sensate, and dang, catheters hurt. Not to mention the possibility of scraping your urethra. No, ow, ow, ow! I remember last time I was cathed. Ah-ow! Fffff-Mmmm! Mom had to tell them they were hurting me, and scare some people, and then she was allowed to put it in, because apparently, the nurses had never seen anything like mine before! I only opt for a catheter when I might wet without awareness of the fact, and they knocked me unconscious, so. . . My sister (also CP) has had both, because she has very strange kidneys, or did, until one was removed (not CP, another issue) and actually prefers diapers. My relationship to diapers is like Snape protecting Harry.

"No one can know!"

Well, no doctors, state people, or protective services, can know. It's seen like a massive functional backslide, by people with any kind of authority. It's complicated. I'm a Little bABy, but I'm also cerebrally palsied, and grown, and full of piss and vinegar! I want to be as independent as possible, and have my diapers be separate from my CP, which makes me less than continent. Needless to say, that's a hell of a lot of flushing toilets! I'm just going to tell y'all the dang truth! Diapers are not just for babies! Diapers are for people who need them. It's just that babies are also people who need them. A lot more of us would choose diapers, and a lot of us do, but sneak around like it's Mission Impossible, if people who aren't us, would stop telling us how embarrassed we're supposed to be by them. Even one childhood friend with no feeling in that area, still had his mom kinda mini freak a bit, because she put sterile specimen on his paperwork, and realized she'd have to cath him from then, until he could do it himself.

Odd question, OP, what's your seating system like? Do you have good pressure management? A bad system can make that elastic rub worse. Another odd one, have you considered modern cloth? I get if it's not your thing, but it occurred to me that a lot of modern cloth diapers don't have double leg gussets. That's what modern cloth people call their version of leak guards.

Last edited:
  • Love
Tot… I have exactly the same feeling about using catheters… I only use them like you when I am in an inpatient hospital setting. The only person I really had to battle is my mom initially because she was so proud to toilet trained me as a kid.… However I would always get punished as I continued to have accidents throughout my teen years. At college I finally met the a urologist and he actually showed me on the video scope that my bladder muscles were actually spasming like any other muscle in my body could. Once I had a medical justification mom actually apologized one time when she was visiting. However for some reason it still awkward for her.

As a guy I still wear condom catheters to reduce the number of changes depending on caregiver availability. Recently, I have even grown to hate doing that.. I have had my own place for over 20 years always hundreds of miles away from either parent and after countless experiments, a premium diaper is still the best option for me and it seems like you have reached the same conclusion in your life.… Love your attitude… We need to talk more :)

To correct a reply fragment from this morning that I was trying to do from my iPad in bed… I called the CSR's at North Shore right after Gary and XP informed all of us that he was discontinuing the A+ product. I expressed my disappointment with his decision. His recommendation was the Abena classic level 4, which by itself has never been able to last all day for me. North Shore and I have had this discussion several times since and they have assured that I am in their best option (mega max), which has caused some of the worst breakdown I have had. Tried the dry 24/7 before that with the same result.

For the past week or so I have been wearing the Abena with a North Shore extra-large booster while I am in the chair and then mega max when I am lying down. Would like to settle on a single product for everything for cost reasons. I have learned over the years that an insurance company or Medicaid/Medicare will never cover anything with capacity near what I need, even with specific orders from the MD.

Consequently I am frustrated and searching for options

emp711 said:
Tot… I have exactly the same feeling about using catheters… I only use them like you when I am in an inpatient hospital setting. The only person I really had to battle is my mom initially because she was so proud to toilet trained me as a kid.… However I would always get punished as I continued to have accidents throughout my teen years. At college I finally met the a urologist and he actually showed me on the video scope that my bladder muscles were actually spasming like any other muscle in my body could. Once I had a medical justification mom actually apologized one time when she was visiting. However for some reason it still awkward for her.

As a guy I still wear condom catheters to reduce the number of changes depending on caregiver availability. Recently, I have even grown to hate doing that.. I have had my own place for over 20 years always hundreds of miles away from either parent and after countless experiments, a premium diaper is still the best option for me and it seems like you have reached the same conclusion in your life.… Love your attitude… We need to talk more :)

To correct a reply fragment from this morning that I was trying to do from my iPad in bed… I called the CSR's at North Shore right after Gary and XP informed all of us that he was discontinuing the A+ product. I expressed my disappointment with his decision. His recommendation was the Abena classic level 4, which by itself has never been able to last all day for me. North Shore and I have had this discussion several times since and they have assured that I am in their best option (mega max), which has caused some of the worst breakdown I have had. Tried the dry 24/7 before that with the same result.

For the past week or so I have been wearing the Abena with a North Shore extra-large booster while I am in the chair and then mega max when I am lying down. Would like to settle on a single product for everything for cost reasons. I have learned over the years that an insurance company or Medicaid/Medicare will never cover anything with capacity near what I need, even with specific orders from the MD.

Consequently I am frustrated and searching for options
It's awkward for her, because it never occurred to her, to read the literature that would've told her maybe yelling at you, when the bladder is a muscle and you have cerebral boinking palsy which causes trouble controlling your, oh, here's a thought, muscles, was a stupid, bad boinking idea! I'm sorry you were yelled at and punished. I know what that's like. I can't even give you enough appologies for that! Can she imagine how much more awkward it was for you, being punished for something you couldn't help!? I do get it. Isn't it ironic?

I am what I am, but, "I'm going to put you in diapers," or, "They'll put you somewhere, and you'll be sitting in a corner, drooling and in diapers," is still a very effective threat.

When I was younger, I was punished for accidents, and had eyes rolled at me when parents and guardians weren't expecting to have to help me toilet. Well, excuse me! I didn't mean to need to pee in the middle of an appointment! They had no clue how much I just barely drank all day, or that what looked like good bowel control, was actually fear of pooping, and probably really bad constipation. My gut is cantankerous as hell, now. Sometimes, I wonder if I'm completing my BMs. Was it worth it!? Stupid people! I very seldom poop myself, and I'm dry a lot of the time. That's what matters, right?

It's as if that piece of normal is all that matters to parents/guardians.

More pediatricians need to tell parents to be compassionate about potty learning, especially with us! Try as they might, parents can't make us Normies. Heads up. Normal kids can get voiding disorders, too, so, don't be an ass about potty learning!

Hear how wrong this sounds.

"He fell, learning to ride a bike? Yell. Take stuff away. Beat his ass. . . Something, or he'll never learn!"

Abusive, huh? Well, same deal about the dang toilet!

Are you lucky enough to have an air cushion? With skin breakdown, a lot of the time, the problem is pressure. I agree. Let's try to keep those leak guards away from your skin, if that's what's actually causing the problem. As far as something that just doesn't have to have leak guards if you don't want them, the only thing that comes to mind is cloth.

Usually, I'm ambulatory enough to go, "bedside toilet," in the hospital, unless I'm unconscious, not subconscious, unconscious!

Going without knowing it, naw, just go ahead and plan my funeral, so, only if I'm unconscious, catheters.

If I were you, I'd ditch the catheters, and go diapers, even there, unless I was having a long enough surgery to actually require a catheter, but be prepared for staff to give you flack. They're starting to brainwash med and nursing students against them. They wanted to give my sister incopads, flat, cloth, über underpads, saying diapers cause skin breakdown. Well, except with incopads, she'd naked from the waist down, and forever bedridden! Nah, that's not worse than diapers!:rolleyes: ABU Simple Ultra would be great, if you can get those darn leak guards off!

Last edited:
You summed up my teenage years quite well… LOL
What really helped me get past that is that I went to college in a place where there were tons of people with disabilities most of them had CP and we learned from each other that this was our normal… I started wearing full time again as a New Year's resolution in January 2002 after having my first round of kidney stones that fall when my first urologist actually had that honest discussion I mentioned above.

Over the years I have noticed that the decision you make to go 24/7, restricts you socially because I cannot tell you the last time I was changed by someone who was not paid to do it… I have other complications to make any help eating but my one wish is to have a small group of friends that are there because they want to be and do not mind helping with the other stuff because that is just who I am.

Does that make sense?

emp711 said:
You summed up my teenage years quite well… LOL
What really helped me get past that is that I went to college in a place where there were tons of people with disabilities most of them had CP and we learned from each other that this was our normal… I started wearing full time again as a New Year's resolution in January 2002 after having my first round of kidney stones that fall when my first urologist actually had that honest discussion I mentioned above.

Over the years I have noticed that the decision you make to go 24/7, restricts you socially because I cannot tell you the last time I was changed by someone who was not paid to do it… I have other complications to make any help eating but my one wish is to have a small group of friends that are there because they want to be and do not mind helping with the other stuff because that is just who I am.

Does that make sense?
It makes perfect sense! 'Course, I'm a spaz! Do you have a home health aid, or skilled nursing? You know, if you only have home health, anyone, including friends you already know, can be taught how. Chat with the company you go through. You might also like bright star care, if it's available in your area.

Last edited:
I do basically cash and counsel… I hire private duty and then get them registered with the state's billing company. In theory I have the most flexibility to select whoever…… It is just that the people around where I live are much younger than me because of the University and I have kind of grown out of that life. From my experience today's students do not want to do that work unless there is a $

That is why I am looking to the DL/IC community like this so that I feel like I feel like there is a possibility of people not seen my situation as different… It would be awesome to be able to go out with with friends and they know exactly how I am feeling and why both physically and emotionally- Diaper and all :)

ChocChip said:
This IS an incontinence forum... ;)

Reactions: surprise35, PrincessRaccoon, SpAzpieSweeTot and 1 other person
If I go out of the house, I use Medline PM's with two liners, and a towel under me in my wheelchair case it leaks which it will most of the time. If I'm not positioned just right in the diaper it will leak too. I'm not incontinent, so sometimes it's just easier to wear a diaper then use a restroom. If I just want to play with my toys and such around the house, I just wear a depend, but I don't wet.

emp711 said:
I do basically cash and counsel… I hire private duty and then get them registered with the state's billing company. In theory I have the most flexibility to select whoever…… It is just that the people around where I live are much younger than me because of the University and I have kind of grown out of that life. From my experience today's students do not want to do that work unless there is a $

That is why I am looking to the DL/IC community like this so that I feel like I feel like there is a possibility of people not seen my situation as different… It would be awesome to be able to go out with with friends and they know exactly how I am feeling and why both physically and emotionally- Diaper and all :)

Because of my cerebral palsy, I told my friends and family, and everyone was cool with it. I REALLY wanted baby toys to play with, so I had to tell. It was very hard, but I got my toys. I can even play with my toys and suck my paci, when home health aides are doing my care. Not all, but some.

Katie2fingers said:
If I go out of the house, I use Medline PM's with two liners, and a towel under me in my wheelchair case it leaks which it will most of the time. If I'm not positioned just right in the diaper it will leak too. I'm not incontinent, so sometimes it's just easier to wear a diaper then use a restroom. If I just want to play with my toys and such around the house, I just wear a depend, but I don't wet.
Because the bathroom is unsafe, too small, or otherwise incompatible with your CP, not because you're a lazy bones, so, no, sweetie. It's not just easier. Hell, it's not easy at all. It's safer, so it's smarter. Functional incontinence is characterized by involuntary urine or fecal loss, in the case of urinary, caused by factors outside the lower urinary tract. Typically, it gets diagnosed in people with mobility impairment. Sound familiar? It's also diagnosed in people with cognitive impairment.

When normies are stupid enough to make the disabled stall too small, or put the only rail in the only disabled stall behind the boinking toilet, we become functionally unable to use it safely. That is real incontinence. When the condensation from our air conditioner is soaking our whole floor, in the only bathroom with a doorway big enough for me to use, well, the floor is soaked, rendering transferring to the toilet unsafe, I can't fit in with other bathroom, and I bet if I could there's nothing to grab onto in there, so, that's real functional incontinence. How come so few people actually know it's a thing. Yeah, I have lower urinary tract issues, but not constantly, which makes me feel slightly crazy when those bladder and bowels muscles do spasm. CP, however? That shit hangs on! :ROFLMAO:

Emp711, check out the EASE seat cushion! Fix the problem from the seat, up! It's alternating pressure. No more pressure, no more skin breakdown.

IC is a disability in America, as it causes substantial limitation in a major life activity, or major bodily function. There used to be disability, and other groups within ADISC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aby and emp711
SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Because the bathroom is unsafe, too small, or otherwise incompatible with your CP, not because you're a lazy bones, so, no, sweetie. It's not just easier. Hell, it's not easy at all. It's safer, so it's smarter. Functional incontinence is characterized by involuntary urine or fecal loss, in the case of urinary, caused by factors outside the lower urinary tract. Typically, it gets diagnosed in people with mobility impairment. Sound familiar? It's also diagnosed in people with cognitive impairment.

When normies are stupid enough to make the disabled stall too small, or put the only rail in the only disabled stall behind the boinking toilet, we become functionally unable to use it safely. That is real incontinence. When the condensation from our air conditioner is soaking our whole floor, in the only bathroom with a doorway big enough for me to use, well, the floor is soaked, rendering transferring to the toilet unsafe, I can't fit in with other bathroom, and I bet if I could there's nothing to grab onto in there, so, that's real functional incontinence. How come so few people actually know it's a thing. Yeah, I have lower urinary tract issues, but not constantly, which makes me feel slightly crazy when those bladder and bowels muscles do spasm. CP, however? That shit hangs on! :ROFLMAO:

Emp711, check out the EASE seat cushion! Fix the problem from the seat, up! It's alternating pressure. No more pressure, no more skin breakdown.

IC is a disability in America, as it causes substantial limitation in a major life activity, or major bodily function. There used to be disability, and other groups within ADISC.

Right, you hit the nail on the head about bathrooms, it's just easier to be diapered, and heck, I want to be. Stalls are to small for my wheelchair, I need someone to help me. To put a wheelchair and another person in some bathroom stalls is sometimes crazy because they're too small. YES, I'm a spasm monster too, that doesn't help. I sometimes try quickly to go, well, we both know that doesn't work with CP. lol.😂

It does not matter if you are a guy or girl that is still the issue… Family/companion restrooms have at least afforded me the opportunity to be changed in my wheelchair (I have a permobil that can recline to flat) if I have to because there is no way I can stand up nor will I let anybody put me on the floor in a public restroom). I do everything to avoid public changes unless I am getting dressed to go swimming with something and that has become very rare even

Reactions: Anny92
Back