Being incontinent some of the time impacts mental health too!

slimjiminy said:
I believe we corresponded about gastroparesis before.

Last night I had a serious bout of it, starting with a vomit. The worst part of it was the 2-3 hours of cramping that followed. At first, I couldn't tell if it was back pain or gut pain. I had foolishly curved my back backwards to straighten up before bed but may have pinched some nerves doing that. That put me in back pain for a spell. But after the vomiting, I was feeling a pain in the gut that lasted for hours (until I was finally able to fall asleep, as I was so tired). I couldn't lie down (at first), sit or even walk around. Eventually, I did all three until I was finally able to crawl into bed and drift into sleep.

This was a very painful experience -- one that I am not eager to repeat. I think what triggered it was that I had one beer with the two slices of pizza and meds. On a prior occasion last year, I had consumed a couple of beer before dinner. That, combined with the meds, seems to be a trigger. At least I won't repeating the beer before dinner. I could feel what seemed like the stomach trying to force its contents into the intestine, but the intestine wasn't taking it. The cramps were fierce. That sucked!
SORRY to hear that. Yes we have discussed it a few times. Beer is something do very seldom and when I do I never do more than two but most the time one. I never do it when I am feeling remotely bad or bloated in anyway and never with my pain meds. In fact pain meds in general can be a real bad cause to set it off also. That is where it sucks for me because I am in pan management for several issues. When I get flared up I have to cut back on them. Maryjane is even worse at slowing your stomach down. I have to be very careful when using it. It really helps with the nausea at the moment but it is in reality just slowing your stomach down even more making it even worse. It is a true double edge sword.

GP effects everyone a little different but most of us get the sharp stomach pains with it too. Of course you want to take pain meds but can't over do. When I get a flare I get a bloated nasty feelin for a day sometimes two before it turns into a full blown attack. Sometimes I can prevent it from getting past that stage by doing a clear liquid diet or just limiting what I do eat. The main thing to remember with GP is you just can't have big filling meals. You have to eat smaller meals multiple times a day. Like I will get say a foot long sub but I might cut it into six pieces and eat it through out the day. Not that processed meats are real good for you. That and the peperoni on your pizza is hell on the stomach too. Anything high in fibers are not good for you and type of fruit with a peal needs to be cooked down and not eaten raw. It does get a little easier to know when you are starting to flare so you can make adjustments to your diet before it gets very bad. I also take Miralax almost everyday. If your colon stops up it will stop the stomach up real fast then it takes a long time to get everything moving again. Now having bowel IC and taking laxatives sounds like a horrible Idea, but I will take changing a dirty diaper change over throwing up my guts any day.

I finally got my hip replaced the 28th of Nov. I waited so long to get it done and it had already been postponed once and re scheduled. About 2 days pre surgery I started having a GP flare, but I so did not want to put it off so I did clear liquids and the things I could to slow it. I had surgery on Monday and I spent all Saturday and half of Sunday beforehand throwing up. So I showed up Monday nauseated as hell. I had to to meds pre surgery to calm it. I should of called the doctor and rescheduled. I woke up throwing up my guts so damn bad. The anesthesia and pain meds played hell on a already sour tummy. I stayed one night and never slept a min I was so sick. Then I was sick a few more days getting home. But they had let me increase my pain meds a bit and I think it took and made thins worse. On the 2nd I made a ER visit for uncontrollably stomach pain and nausea. I went home the same day after getting fluids but then on the 5th I went back to the ER and by then I had thrown up so much I was well dehydrated I cold not keep meds down and my BP was like 89/49. This time they kept me 4 days. But the worse part is they cut my pain meds back to about half what I was taking pre hip surgery. Getting a new hip and not being able to take meds for the surgical pain is a pretty bad scenario. I went through so much Ice it was insane. I did nothing but clear liquids almost a week. I ate a little yesterday but today was the first time I really started feeling better. It has been a crazy 2 weeks that I would not wish on anyone!

Diaperman95 said:
I finally got my hip replaced the 28th of Nov. ... Getting a new hip and not being able to take meds for the surgical pain is a pretty bad scenario. I went through so much Ice it was insane. I did nothing but clear liquids almost a week. I ate a little yesterday but today was the first time I really started feeling better. It has been a crazy 2 weeks that I would not wish on anyone!
Wow, my full sympathies and hoping you are on the mend now! A new hip all by itself seems like a big deal without other factors!

• Love
Reactions: Diaperman95
Diaperman95 said:
It has been a crazy 2 weeks that I would not wish on anyone!
That sounds absolutely horrible. I'm sorry you've been going through that, and I hope you continue to do better.

• Love
Reactions: Diaperman95
slimjiminy said:
There are so many times I can go out without incident. Then there are days like this that shake me up mentally.
I totally feel this. Daytime, I do alright, it's OAB I can manage when there's a close bathroom, or if I don't have the time I have my Goodnites. Nighttime though, I can travel, have months of a dry bed then all it takes is that one night during the streak, or that night I fall asleep on the couch and there it freaking is.

slimjiminy said:
Wow, my full sympathies and hoping you are on the mend now! A new hip all by itself seas long as I do not over eat I ems like a big deal without other factors!
I am doing lot better. My stomach flare up is pretty well gone at the moment. As long as I don't over eat or eat something hard to digest then I should be past the worse of it for a while. The new hip is really starting to feel pretty good and I am not taking any extra pain meds than I was before the surgery.. It is still stiff but it is doing good. I walked a lot today and I leaned on one crutch just a tiny bit. My new cane will be in tomorrow.

Back