Bedwetting - Waking up with Stinging

UrgentWees

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
Hello, I’ve been wearing nappies for urinary incontinence for several years and have recently started waking up during the night with a stinging bottom (and only partially full nappy) when I would normally sleep right through without issue. It’s not severe, but annoying enough that I can only get back to sleep if I change into a dry nappy. I don’t have a nappy rash and this doesn’t happen during the day. I have tried using regular baby powder to see if that would help, but it hasn’t. Does anyone have a similar issue? What do you use to stop the sting? Thankyou.

Reactions: Diprs2, Angelapinks, Edgewater and 1 other person
One of the ongoing issues of being incontinent is that with time our urine will vary in strength (color - darker yellow). this is commonly caused by variations in our hydration (liquid intake) with most being a reduction is amount of intake, especially in the eventing. The result can be 'stringing' (irritation of our skin).

The other is with time, our skin can become less tolerant of ongoing exposure to urine. This commonly can be reduced with the use of a moisturizer recommended for a cross-section of applications from those who sweat heavily to those who wear diapers. They are available in any baby diaper and support products, commonly next to or with the diaper rash products. Simply apply to the area(s) in which stinging is common.

I use both a baby powder and a diaper cream with every change.

FYI: Have both products on hand as that allows you to quickly change to a diaper rash product when needed.

NOTE: It is important to add a 'dry-out time' for your diaper region skin. This is commonly done at some point when you have time to sit on a disposable or washable Bed Pad. It is important to change your position to allow each area to get some fresh air time.

Reactions: daylight, lidleme, Diprs2 and 8 others
Edgewater said:
One of the ongoing issues of being incontinent is that with time our urine will vary in strength (color - darker yellow). this is commonly caused by variations in our hydration (liquid intake) with most being a reduction is amount of intake, especially in the eventing. The result can be 'stringing' (irritation of our skin).

The other is with time, our skin can become less tolerant of ongoing exposure to urine. This commonly can be reduced with the use of a moisturizer recommended for a cross-section of applications from those who sweat heavily to those who wear diapers. They are available in any baby diaper and support products, commonly next to or with the diaper rash products. Simply apply to the area(s) in which stinging is common.

FYI: Have both products on hand as that allows you to quickly change to a diaper rash product when needed.

NOTE: It is important to add a 'dry-out time' for your diaper region skin. This is commonly done at some point when you have time to sit on a disposable or washable Bed Pad. It is important to change your position to allow each area to get some fresh air time.
Okay, thankyou. Do you find that the cream interferes with absorbency? I haven’t done much drying out as I’ve not had major problems with irritation before. I will try that.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
UrgentWees said:
Okay, thankyou. Do you find that the cream interferes with absorbency? I haven’t done much drying out as I’ve not had major problems with irritation before. I will try that.
Like anything, too much can and will reduce the diapers ability to absorb. Too little and the stinging remains.

And of course you are properly preparing your diaper prior to putting it in place, right?

Reactions: Diprs2, UrgentWees, PaddedRita and 1 other person
HIGHLY recommend something along the lines of "Triple Paste" which works great not only as a barrier cream, rash preventative cream but also serves to heal rashes. This is the "thickest"/most "substantial" cream I've found (I've tried A LOT! I frequently wind up asleep for 12-20+ hours (uncontrollable) from late October through April as my body goes "ballistic" in the cold weather months, ESPECIALLY when cold fronts strike. The larger the drop in temperature, the worse off I'm going to be! I'm THE GUY who FEARS those rare 80 degree February/March days as it is ALWAYS followed by sub-freezing weather shortly thereafter! That is about as good a guarantee I'll be hospitalized as there is!

I LIVE for the summer, specifically EVERY SINGLE DAY above 80 but above 90 & humid is even better! The average level of my 24/7/365x20 yr headache is as tolerable as it gets (4-6 but never bad enough in the summer to send me to the ER) and my back USUALLY does significantly better although this summer that has yet to be the case as my lower back/Coccyx is as bad as it has ever been in the past 20 years though I am still standing and on my feet. Last time it was this bad I wound up incapable of standing or walking for over 18 months by late October and needed a pain pump implant to get me from a wheelchair to a walker and then to a cane. GOD I pray this isn't a "sign". I CANNOT handle that AGAIN!

The only difference between now and then (to me) is that "then" I was fighting for my "magically disappearing military medical records" and now I have full/permanent full disability...though it took 30 years!!! Half tempted to go after back pay (I can only prove back to 2009 but still) but too afraid of possibly risking what I have now....and it's not like a lot of money is going to give me my life back though it would had been nice to never have to sell my shop and come within millimeters of bankruptcy and losing everything I ever worked for.

But seriously...but Triple Paste (best online as then you can buy it by the "tub" but Wal-Mart near me carries it in tubes and this is the absolute BEST, most effective rash ointment, barrier cream etc. I've used in my 20 years living with U-IC. It must do something right as I'll wind up asleep for 20+ hours multiple days/nights (I honestly don't know what to term this!) and I almost NEVER have any rash issues. I did have a NASTY fungal infection earlier this year that is still clearing up (though it is about fully clear now) but that was due to dental implants and a TON of antibiotics. I first had a severe fungal infection in my left armpit and must assume I scratched there and then "downstairs" and I literally stripped skin off of my scrotum (akin to holding a lighter on that area 24/7!) and believe me, I NEVER want to experience that again! I kept treating it as a diaper rash as I didn't know any better until it got so bad I HAD TO go see my PCP. Embarrassing, a little at least. Seeing her reaction to how badly I "tore myself up" wasn't pleasant!

I'm *mostly numb* to this shit anymore but not "fully" and she instantly knew what it was, prescribed super duty anti-fungal ointment which instantly stopped me from "shredding skin" (actually a really good song if you're into HEAVY Metal!) instantly though the road to being healed has spanned every bit of 3 complete months! The good is the "itch" was well controlled with the ointment they gave me which honestly, was/IS a HUGE relief!

Reading your complaint you **MAY WANT TO** contact your Dr. as wetness truly aggravated this issue for me whereas I honestly have NEVER had a sever issue, rash wise, in my life prior to this and I've been in the same diaper for over a day with no issues. The feeling I had when wet when this was "new" (before I damn near ripped my sack off!) felt like a bad burn/severe itch...kind of what I'd imagine a bad case of diaper rash to be!

Outside of the fungal infection, I've NEVER had a severe diaper rash in my 20 years living with these issues, which include "functional incontinence" when incapable of standing/walking unassisted and my soon to be ex could care less and wouldn't lift a hand in this respect even if it killed me. Thankfully when in that condition I've wound up hospitalized for as long as 5 weeks straight and didn't have to worry about anyone being "willing" to help me out on that front although admittedly, I DESPISE needing to rely on others for the most basic of my care. My issue is NOT with the fact that male/female nurses/nurses aides have had to tend to these needs...it is solely BECAUSE I NEED THEM TO, which I'm certain makes sense to anyone else who has been in this same situation.

Please ignore phone # in pic, it is a # for scheduling an appt @ the VA for mental health I wrote down from my voice mail and failed to see it in the picture until I already snapped the pics. I mean, you can call it, but it's a VA appt. message line LOL.

I figured a picture speaks louder than words as I don't know this stuff is very popular as I've never heard anyone else ever mention it here or elsewhere. I feel it is the BEST product on the market (opinion) as it has served me incredibly well! I TRULY and HIGHLY recommend this, especially if you're having issues.

Please do feel free to ask anything and let me know IF this helps you out. I mean, IF the VA didn't send me a few tubes of Desitin every month I'd have nothing except this stuff. It's THAT good!

Kirk AKA CptKirk

triple paste 1.jpgtriple paste 2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Edgewater
UrgentWees said:
Hello, I’ve been wearing nappies for urinary incontinence for several years and have recently started waking up during the night with a stinging bottom (and only partially full nappy) when I would normally sleep right through without issue. It’s not severe, but annoying enough that I can only get back to sleep if I change into a dry nappy. I don’t have a nappy rash and this doesn’t happen during the day. I have tried using regular baby powder to see if that would help, but it hasn’t. Does anyone have a similar issue? What do you use to stop the sting? Thankyou.
Yes I get it from time to time. Plenty of Sudocreme usually cures it.

As wethisbed states Sudocrem works wonders for me, laying in a wet Nappy all night can give me hip joint pains (rheumatism) as I suffered with that in my younger days and a few years ago I found a little Sudocrem applied to the lower part of my butt cheeks prevents it very nicely.
Sudocrem is also very waterproofing and good skin protector.

Last edited:
Reactions: UrgentWees
Edgewater said:
Like anything, too much can and will reduce the diapers ability to absorb. Too little and the stinging remains.

And of course you are properly preparing your diaper prior to putting it in place, right?
Properly preparing? I fold it in half lengthways and scrunch it around a little bit to fluff it up? Is that what you mean?

CptKirk said:
HIGHLY recommend something along the lines of "Triple Paste" which works great not only as a barrier cream, rash preventative cream but also serves to heal rashes. This is the "thickest"/most "substantial" cream I've found (I've tried A LOT! I frequently wind up asleep for 12-20+ hours (uncontrollable) from late October through April as my body goes "ballistic" in the cold weather months, ESPECIALLY when cold fronts strike. The larger the drop in temperature, the worse off I'm going to be! I'm THE GUY who FEARS those rare 80 degree February/March days as it is ALWAYS followed by sub-freezing weather shortly thereafter! That is about as good a guarantee I'll be hospitalized as there is!

I LIVE for the summer, specifically EVERY SINGLE DAY above 80 but above 90 & humid is even better! The average level of my 24/7/365x20 yr headache is as tolerable as it gets (4-6 but never bad enough in the summer to send me to the ER) and my back USUALLY does significantly better although this summer that has yet to be the case as my lower back/Coccyx is as bad as it has ever been in the past 20 years though I am still standing and on my feet. Last time it was this bad I wound up incapable of standing or walking for over 18 months by late October and needed a pain pump implant to get me from a wheelchair to a walker and then to a cane. GOD I pray this isn't a "sign". I CANNOT handle that AGAIN!

The only difference between now and then (to me) is that "then" I was fighting for my "magically disappearing military medical records" and now I have full/permanent full disability...though it took 30 years!!! Half tempted to go after back pay (I can only prove back to 2009 but still) but too afraid of possibly risking what I have now....and it's not like a lot of money is going to give me my life back though it would had been nice to never have to sell my shop and come within millimeters of bankruptcy and losing everything I ever worked for.

But seriously...but Triple Paste (best online as then you can buy it by the "tub" but Wal-Mart near me carries it in tubes and this is the absolute BEST, most effective rash ointment, barrier cream etc. I've used in my 20 years living with U-IC. It must do something right as I'll wind up asleep for 20+ hours multiple days/nights (I honestly don't know what to term this!) and I almost NEVER have any rash issues. I did have a NASTY fungal infection earlier this year that is still clearing up (though it is about fully clear now) but that was due to dental implants and a TON of antibiotics. I first had a severe fungal infection in my left armpit and must assume I scratched there and then "downstairs" and I literally stripped skin off of my scrotum (akin to holding a lighter on that area 24/7!) and believe me, I NEVER want to experience that again! I kept treating it as a diaper rash as I didn't know any better until it got so bad I HAD TO go see my PCP. Embarrassing, a little at least. Seeing her reaction to how badly I "tore myself up" wasn't pleasant!

I'm *mostly numb* to this shit anymore but not "fully" and she instantly knew what it was, prescribed super duty anti-fungal ointment which instantly stopped me from "shredding skin" (actually a really good song if you're into HEAVY Metal!) instantly though the road to being healed has spanned every bit of 3 complete months! The good is the "itch" was well controlled with the ointment they gave me which honestly, was/IS a HUGE relief!

Reading your complaint you **MAY WANT TO** contact your Dr. as wetness truly aggravated this issue for me whereas I honestly have NEVER had a sever issue, rash wise, in my life prior to this and I've been in the same diaper for over a day with no issues. The feeling I had when wet when this was "new" (before I damn near ripped my sack off!) felt like a bad burn/severe itch...kind of what I'd imagine a bad case of diaper rash to be!

Outside of the fungal infection, I've NEVER had a severe diaper rash in my 20 years living with these issues, which include "functional incontinence" when incapable of standing/walking unassisted and my soon to be ex could care less and wouldn't lift a hand in this respect even if it killed me. Thankfully when in that condition I've wound up hospitalized for as long as 5 weeks straight and didn't have to worry about anyone being "willing" to help me out on that front although admittedly, I DESPISE needing to rely on others for the most basic of my care. My issue is NOT with the fact that male/female nurses/nurses aides have had to tend to these needs...it is solely BECAUSE I NEED THEM TO, which I'm certain makes sense to anyone else who has been in this same situation.

Please ignore phone # in pic, it is a # for scheduling an appt @ the VA for mental health I wrote down from my voice mail and failed to see it in the picture until I already snapped the pics. I mean, you can call it, but it's a VA appt. message line LOL.

I figured a picture speaks louder than words as I don't know this stuff is very popular as I've never heard anyone else ever mention it here or elsewhere. I feel it is the BEST product on the market (opinion) as it has served me incredibly well! I TRULY and HIGHLY recommend this, especially if you're having issues.

Please do feel free to ask anything and let me know IF this helps you out. I mean, IF the VA didn't send me a few tubes of Desitin every month I'd have nothing except this stuff. It's THAT good!

Kirk AKA CptKirk

View attachment 113493View attachment 113495
Thanks for your recommendation and warning re fungal infection!

Reactions: CptKirk
Napincolove said:
As wethisbed states Sudocrem works wonders for me, laying in a wet Nappy all night can give me hip joint pains (rheumatism) as I suffered with that in my younger days and a few years ago I found a little Sudocrem applied to the lower part of my butt cheeks prevents it very nicely.
Sudocrem is also very waterproofing and good skin protector.
Thanks for your advice. I still have some Sudocream left over from a daytime rash I had a while back and have started applying some of that at night before diapering. I have had one good night and one stinging night, so will continue use to see if the stinging resolved completely. It feels a bit strange applying the cream when I don’t have a rash.

Reactions: Wetshisbed
UrgentWees said:
Properly preparing? I fold it in half lengthways and scrunch it around a little bit to fluff it up? Is that what you mean?
Remember that the unintended lurkers that are also reading this Thread, they may not know about preparing one's diaper!
Happy you are not that person!

Last edited:
Reactions: PaddedRita and UrgentWees
UrgentWees said:
It does happen to me sometimes and I use a Barrier cream on my rear before putting on my nappy.

Reactions: PaddedRita and Edgewater
UrgentWees said:
Thanks for your advice. I still have some Sudocream left over from a daytime rash I had a while back and have started applying some of that at night before diapering. I have had one good night and one stinging night, so will continue use to see if the stinging resolved completely. It feels a bit strange applying the cream when I don’t have a rash.
I use Sudocreme daily

Reactions: UrgentWees and Edgewater
I’ve had this happen and think cleaning off well before your bedtime diaper and using some sort of barrier cream, maybe powder as well. Can’t say I’ve found a perfect cream but it along with powder helps remove that sensation.
If you happen to wake up wet, maybe change your diaper for a clean dry one before going back to sleep.

Reactions: Angelapinks
Edgewater said:

After your first comment I paid closer attention to changes in my urinary and drinking habits and have realised that over the Australian winter I have unconsciously phased out my pre-bed glass of water. I also realised that my wee is slightly darker than it usually is and that I’m waking up with a less full nappy in the morning, so you’re probably right about concentration being a factor. I made sure to up my fluids during the day yesterday and have a drink before bed (it doesn’t matter how much I restrict, as my OAB will make me wee in my sleep no matter how little I drink) and did not wake up with stinging, just a little that developed when I didn’t change before breakfast, but that is easily solved. I will continue with the Sudocream for a little while to give my skin a break and keep on airing out to make sure things stay this way. Thankyou everyone for your advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angelapinks and Edgewater
Add Sudocrem (or any zinc oxide cream) to your diaper area every diaper change.
Helps heal & makes a barrier for moisture.

make sure to shower daily and give your skin breathing time. I sit bare on a soaker pad (puppy pad) and check my email etc just so my skin can air out

Reactions: lidleme, Angelapinks and Edgewater
CptKirk said:

Kirk AKA CptKirk

View attachment 113493View attachment 113495
Curious I'm on disability myself, but yet I can work part time I have worked mon Fri for 10hrs even above that but was wondering if I went on full disability do u think ied get enough income from it to still keep up with hobbies like gun range etc etc mind u only thing is driving has and transportation has always been an issue.

I knew if it were not ied be working full time like every other Joe smo. 🤣

furry121 said:
Curious I'm on disability myself, but yet I can work part time I have worked mon Fri for 10hrs even above that but was wondering if I went on full disability do u think ied get enough income from it to still keep up with hobbies like gun range etc etc mind u only thing is driving has and transportation has always been an issue.

I knew if it were not ied be working full time like every other Joe smo. 🤣
With VA disability there is no limit on work or income. Is that what you're asking me about?

Reactions: furry121 and Edgewater
CptKirk said:
With VA disability there is no limit on work or income. Is that what you're asking me about?
The VA is just shame of what it is supposed to be,just corruption all riddled into it. poor conditions of VA Hospitals

CptKirk said:
Yes

Back