Votes: 29 48.3%
  • no powder

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters

VeiledDevotee

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So i have been looking for some baby powder variants.
There seems to be plenty of options on the market.

However, there seems to be a discussion about talc based product's having cancer inducing effects .

How big af a issue is this to consider?
And what are your preferences or concerns?

Reactions: Edgewater
Corn starch is safest.

Reactions: DiaperedCherub, VeiledDevotee and Edgewater
For the past 2 years, I've been using a pure bentonite clay based powder made by Rearz. I wouldn't use anything with starch due to yeast infection concerns. Though yesterday I noticed it was absent from their Canadian website, and out of stock on their American Diaper Sharks website. I sent them an email asking when it might be back in stock. I couldn't find anything mentioning about it on their socials, but if it turns out that it's been discontinued, I'll give this brand a try: https://www.pureclay.com/baby

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater and VeiledDevotee
They are basically all cornstarch now
Talc is seldom used due to health issues
Finding talc versions in most stores is basically no longer possible

Breathing in talc causes quite serious lung issues

• Wow
Reactions: BigKid25, Angelapinks, Edgewater and 1 other person
I don't regularly use powder, but when I do, it's the cornstarch stuff.

PrettyLilPrincess said:
Though yesterday I noticed it was absent from their Canadian website, and out of stock on their American Diaper Sharks website. I sent them an email asking when it might be back in stock. I couldn't find anything mentioning about it on their socials, but if it turns out that it's been discontinued, I'll give this brand a try: https://www.pureclay.com/baby
My favorite cloth diapers also disappeared from the Rearz site a few weeks ago, and I was tempted to panic-buy a bunch of them from My Inner Baby. Thankfully, InControlRobert said that they were just temporarily delisted because of the big Rearz/InControl relocation that's happening. The powder's probably in the same boat. 🤞

Reactions: Edgewater, PrettyLilPrincess and VeiledDevotee
VeiledDevotee said:
So i have been looking for some baby powder variants.
There seems to be plenty of options on the market.

However, there seems to be a discussion about talc based product's having cancer inducing effects .

How big af a issue is this to consider?
And what are your preferences or concerns?
Very minimal cancer hazard for women.

Reactions: Edgewater and VeiledDevotee
I’m in the UK- still using J&J baby talc 😊

Reactions: AlwaysInDiapers, Angelapinks, wiliawi and 3 others
Thank you all for thé informative reply :)

Reactions: PrettyLilPrincess and Edgewater
The real science is that asbestos filaments have been found to cause Lung Cancer. Those applications that use asbestos as a larger percentage of the product are found in building materials, automotive (brakes), ships (insulation), etc.. The Lawyers that spend the money to link asbestos to those products found it to be a huge money makers and elected to continue to target any product that may contain even very tiny amounts of asbestos were than targeted with very weak to no science. But, with the reality of spending years in courts, all corporations simply contributed to the vast pot of money for the Lawyers and changed their products.

True science: The rock formations of Talc contain very tiny amounts of asbestos as does several other like rock formations used in other products. Although, there is linkage in products either made from or have a percentage of size of asbestos added to them are linked to Lung Cancer. No another form of cancer has been proven as of this date.

Johnson and Johnson made the choice and switched to Corn Starch, which as stated above has problems of its own, but that is another story and the balance of the market has joined them. Today, near all makers of Baby Powder have switched to corn starch. There are still some, a few Black Market sources for Talc based baby powder, but they are quickly disappearing.

• Thinking
Reactions: VeiledDevotee
Edgewater said:
The real science is that asbestos filaments have been found to cause Lung Cancer. Those applications that use asbestos as a larger percentage of the product are found in building materials, automotive (brakes), ships (insulation), etc.. The Lawyers that spend the money to link asbestos to those products found it to be a huge money makers and elected to continue to target any product that may contain even very tiny amounts of asbestos were than targeted with very weak to no science. But, with the reality of spending years in courts, all corporations simply contributed to the vast pot of money for the Lawyers and changed their products.

True science: The rock formations of Talc contain very tiny amounts of asbestos as does several other like rock formations used in other products. Although, there is linkage in products either made from or have a percentage of size of asbestos added to them are linked to Lung Cancer. No another form of cancer has been proven as of this date.

Johnson and Johnson made the choice and switched to Corn Starch, which as stated above has problems of its own, but that is another story and the balance of the market has joined them. Today, near all makers of Baby Powder have switched to corn starch. There are still some, a few Black Market sources for Talc based baby powder, but they are quickly disappearing

This is great to know.
Thanks for taking the time to write this out! :)

Good news, Cottontail was right! A customer service rep from Rearz got back to me this morning and said that once they have relocated, the powder will become available again :)

• Love
Reactions: VeiledDevotee, Edgewater and Cottontail
I really miss the old talc baby powder, but the cornstarch stuff isn't terrible. I just wish Johnson and Johnson hadn't had changed the scent. I loved the smell of the old J&J baby powder in the pink and white bottle. That will always be the true baby powder scent to me and I was heartbroken when they changed it. 😭 I keep looking for another brand that has a similar scent and I've never found one, in fact a lot of stores have stopped carrying any baby powder.

Reactions: VeiledDevotee and Edgewater
SparkyDog said:
They are basically all cornstarch now
Talc is seldom used due to health issues
Finding talc versions in most stores is basically no longer possible

Breathing in talc causes quite serious lung issues
I just got 2 big bottles of the original J and J off Ebay. Came from some guy in NYC...packaging was definatly from some other country ! But I'm so happy!

Reactions: VeiledDevotee and Edgewater
They did
blissfullyquirky said:
I really miss the old talc baby powder, but the cornstarch stuff isn't terrible. I just wish Johnson and Johnson hadn't had changed the scent. I loved the smell of the old J&J baby powder in the pink and white bottle. That will always be the true baby powder scent to me and I was heartbroken when they changed it. 😭 I keep looking for another brand that has a similar scent and I've never found one, in fact a lot of stores have stopped carrying any baby powder.
They did Not change it, just stopped supplying to US distributors. I just got 2 brand new bottles, packaging not from US

• Wow
Reactions: BigKid25, VeiledDevotee and Edgewater
I personally prefer talc based powders, but use both talc and corn starch ones. I like the scent of talc powders more and find the powder feels a lot finer and more pleasant. The scent is definitely partially a nostalgia thing for me.

And even though it doesn't make a big difference, I don't really like how corn starch powder clumps up when wet. But even with my preference for talc, I also don't mind the corn starch powder either. It's a lot easier to get corn starch based powders since that's what most stores carry, here in the US at least, but I ordered a bunch of talc based bottles off of eBay some time ago and use those when I wanna use talc.

I've heard mixed things of whether there was substantial evidence between talc and ovarian cancer and I also don't have ovaries being male so I'm okay with using the talc based ones.

Reactions: VeiledDevotee
ChrisKrinkle said:
They did Not change it, just stopped supplying to US distributors. I just got 2 brand new bottles, packaging not from US
I found some third party Amazon sellers selling the imported J&J talc baby powder. I ordered from a few of them, so we'll see if any of them have the old scent.

I had read somewhere that J&J had planned to switch all of their baby powder to cornstarch worldwide. Either that was incorrect or they still have a lot of the old talc stock to get rid of first.

Most places are down to only NON talc based powder nowadays.

As for the cancer...The deal is that talc contains some asbestos naturally, and so far as i know there is no real way to seperate out the asbestos.

I know that the female aspect in babies has been studied more than as being inhaled. That said, i think most people tend to not like to get asbestos in thier bodies and inhaling it seems to be a major issue, and using it regularly as an adult being many many more years than as an infant/toddler would also skew any results of testing for babies.

Myself, i use the corn starch lavendar baby powder, smells good and no asbestos, and so far i dont think there is much cancer caused by corn starch, but i'm sure California might be working on that relationship :)

I accidentally got some baby powder with Talc in it, made by Dynacare. The scent isn’t very babyish, almost perfume or floral smelling. I’m in the US, ordered it online a year or two ago. Still not sure if I want to use it much since the danger of breathing it in or other stuff.

I loved the original J&J talc and scent. When the change occurred I shrugged it off and rolled with it, no real choice. Very recently I found J&J talc available on Amazon and ordered some. Holy cow, I really missed the stuff! The scent was SO much better (don't huff it though, haha!) and the FEEL of it, like silk! I hate the current stateside stuff now. It feels like flour to me now, and the scent is like old lady perfume.

Reactions: sambus and NabePup
To get cancer from this stuff, you have to intentionally inhale a good amount of the stuff or use it in an unsafe manner for a long time.

In fact, if you inhale any particulate matter that isn't oxygen....you'll get cancer eventually.

Reactions: sambus and Edgewater
Back