Baby Bottles with Plastic Inserts

BabyBoy2023

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
I remember back in the 1980's when babies had bottles in which you inserted a plastic baggy that held milk, formula, water, whatever. Perhaps some of you are old enough to remember them. The bottle itself had no bottom. It was more like a plastic sleeve with a screw-on lid and nipple. You could stick your fingers in the bottom and touch the bag containing the liquid. I think those bottles might have been the Platex Nursers, but I'm not sure. Is this type of baby bottle still manufactured?

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and oldskool
They were indeed Playtex nursers. I remember them very well.

Vintage Playtex Bottle - Pink.jpg

Last edited:
I think they still sell them at my Kroger's. The plastic bag was there to depressurize the bottle so the baby wouldn't burp up as much formula.

Basically, the concept was to try and feed a baby with neither a vacuum nor pressure in the bottle...to avoid pressurized food, to avoid ingesting air and, eventually, to avoid colic. This type of bottle was one way; another way was to use a straw-bubble system into the nipple and out to Baby...or conventional bottle/nipple systems with one-way-valve vents at the base of the nipple. Nothing's perfect, though...Baby still gets a bit colicky sometimes. 🍼:cry:🧸

I don't remember anyone that used these types of bottles, but I do remember seeing some commercials for them.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Non Vintage:

Vintage:

Back