autism and diapers

Elhon

Baby
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I have autism that very likely has led to my diaper use and incontinence, overstimulation tends to be the reason I will wet my pants. I have even made two groups of accidents for when I wet I call “baby accidents” and “True accidents” baby refers to when I was literally a baby and could possibly have to use the potty but still wet and true is when I never get the urge to go and start wetting.

I have had four days where I have only had true accidents and it is partly just because I like Christmas and decorating, and all the stuff around it is distracting enough to have me not notice the urge to go to the restroom and have me wet. The simple fact that I can relieve myself of noticing the need to go to the restroom removes my ability to do so

Reactions: arctic, Jorelaxed, NappiedTruckDriver and 2 others
Autism affects people differently. It sounds like you have very good awareness of your situation and that you are managing your incontinence well. I know well the feeling of being wet and not remembering peeing. That's what diapers are for. Do you recognize when your diaper needs changing? I get a little embarrassed when my sister needs to remind me to change my diaper. It's happening more now than it used to.

Reactions: perlFerret
Freddie07601 said:
Do you recognize when your diaper needs changing? I get a little embarrassed when my sister needs to remind me to change my diaper. It's happening more now than it used to.
Yes, I was likely to let to use diapers for as long as I have because I would change myself. I have done so since I was at least four years old. I think I probably have more awareness of my surroundings than your average person, I manage a grocery and the amount of people that walk into a static pole is astonishing. I mean it still happens and it is wrapped in Christmas lights. Still, they just bash into it like goofy idiots.

• Haha
Reactions: MetalDan86, NappiedTruckDriver, CheshireCat and 2 others
Autism does play a role in people wanting to use diapers due to the sensory overstimulation.

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192, PlastiBrain, Freddie07601 and 3 others
Yeah generally just being overstimulated causes me to wet, strangely enough, this tends to also include trying not to wet. I noticed this way long ago back when I was like 10 or so if I am focused on not wetting if I am "actively potty training" I feel the urge to go so often it makes it far more likely I will wet.

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192, Freddie07601, perlFerret and 2 others
Jorelaxed said:
Autism does play a role in people wanting to use diapers due to the sensory overstimulation.
I am autistic. When I am overstimulated I wet myself and sometimes don’t even notice :( I wear a diaper when I go out. Sometimes I use it on purpose when I’m out because usually when I go to use a public restroom, I get somoverstimulated from the noises (people, toilets flushing, hand dryers) that I end up having an accident before I get in the bathroom stall and closed, clothes and diaper down and seated… so not all, but some autistic people use a diaper because of over stimulation

• Love
Reactions: ErickDipers, Fleetwoodmac32192, BobbiSueEllen and 3 others
I have been recently diagnostic with autism, I am very sensitive to the comfort of diapers, specially when I am turned on.

Reactions: ErickDipers and BobbiSueEllen
I can make it to the toilet, but most of the time using it or having to hold it in gives me sensory overload. I have tried timed voiding but it's still very uncomfortable. Even though my partner isn't comfortable with it, I still like using pull-ups when I have my privacy alone.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Jorelaxed
It sort of fell on the opposite side of the coin for me- being autistic sorta contributed towards me having a really hard time using the bathroom regularly, which led towards some health issues as a kid lol. I still do struggle with it, minus the health issues.

But even that said, I’m pretty sure being autistic has a decent amount to do with why I actually like wearing (for what little wearing i’ve been able to do) 🤔 something about wetting is just sensory bliss for me…

Reactions: Deleted member 39193, BobbiSueEllen and Fleetwoodmac32192
I have high functioning autism but do stomach alot. The other day I was sitting on the bed with only my pullups and tshirt on and started to stim by putting myself in a ball and rocking back and forth, when I stopped I realized that I had wet my pullup and leaked a little but I was sitting on my bedmat. I got up and changed into a diaper instead of pullups

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192 and BobbiSueEllen
I would suggest you see your doctor just to rule out any other condition.

• Thinking
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
TheBob said:
I would suggest you see your doctor just to rule out any other condition.
I did that years ago, and nothing was found. Still always a good thing to suggest.

Reactions: AJFan2020, BobbiSueEllen and Fleetwoodmac32192
I was diagnosed as an autist at the age of ~ 5 or 6 because of my resistance to be potty trained and my parents was told that it is quite normal for autists to need diapers at least much longer than other ones. nobody knew that I had near to no accidents but did it on purpose all the time but from there on I could use my diapers without any fuss ... cause the doc said it is normal ... 😘

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 39193 and Fleetwoodmac32192
I’m currently in the process of being assessed for autism. And it’s all starting to make sense. When I was a kid I had a lot of issues with the toilet. I refused to use any bathroom that wasn’t my own. So school was fun. At the end of the day I would be absolutely desperate for the toilet. I remember wetting myself a few times but was never given the choice to wear nappies. And whenever I used the bathroom it was routine that I had to take every piece of clothing off top to bottom lol.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, Deleted member 39193 and Fleetwoodmac32192
CherryPie said:
I’m currently in the process of being assessed for autism. And it’s all starting to make sense. When I was a kid I had a lot of issues with the toilet. I refused to use any bathroom that wasn’t my own. So school was fun. At the end of the day I would be absolutely desperate for the toilet. I remember wetting myself a few times but was never given the choice to wear nappies. And whenever I used the bathroom it was routine that I had to take every piece of clothing off top to bottom lol.
hmm ...
I refused to use any bathroom that wasn’t my own
seems you were not really convinced that you were right ... I refused ALL bathrooms ... 😜
At the end of the day I would be absolutely desperate for the toilet
ahh ... there you have it ... at the end of the day I needed a change ... 🤣

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Deleted member 39193
I’ve never been tested for Autism, but I have in recent years wondered. I do like routine and order, I have always pursued interests that are often associated with being on the spectrum, but my suspicions were heightened when I saw a documentary featuring the British naturalist, environmentalist, photographer and TV presenter Chris Packham and his journey with dealing with autism.

So many of the traits, random thoughts and carefully considered choices he displayed really resonated with me.

Also, as a couple of people have just posted, I too have had (and still have) a problem with unknown bathrooms. When I started at my infant school I was confronted with a fearsome terrifying Victorian-style urinal which the other young lads thought was great fun. For me it was the scariest place I’d ever encountered and it led to numerous episodes of wet pants, which although embarrassing enough, was not so embarrassing as communal weeing.

Even now, I hate using the loo at a friend’s house or in any area in close proximity to other people. I could never share a hotel room. Luckily when I’m out and about I can ‘hold on’ for hours and hours. Are these traits connected with Autism?

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192
DLmikey said:
I’ve never been tested for Autism, but I have in recent years wondered. I do like routine and order, I have always pursued interests that are often associated with being on the spectrum, but my suspicions were heightened when I saw a documentary featuring the British naturalist, environmentalist, photographer and TV presenter Chris Packham and his journey with dealing with autism.

So many of the traits, random thoughts and carefully considered choices he displayed really resonated with me.

Also, as a couple of people have just posted, I too have had (and still have) a problem with unknown bathrooms. When I started at my infant school I was confronted with a fearsome terrifying Victorian-style urinal which the other young lads thought was great fun. For me it was the scariest place I’d ever encountered and it led to numerous episodes of wet pants, which although embarrassing enough, was not so embarrassing as communal weeing.

Even now, I hate using the loo at a friend’s house or in any area in close proximity to other people. I could never share a hotel room. Luckily when I’m out and about I can ‘hold on’ for hours and hours. Are these traits connected with Autism?

autism is a can of worms and most worms are put into the wrong can as there are two criteria to be taken care of:

1st - real autism is a different way of thinking -multidimensional thinking, disconnected from time and space where only the 'now' exists, thus past, present and future are one and we have e.g. difficulties with order as a result of this in opposition to the common way of linear thinking what allows only one thought at a time to be processed and developed step by step-, what goes hand in glove with a number of other differences like -at least vague- remembrances of past incarnations on this planet or even elsewhere.

take a look here but keep in mind that Tony is NOT an autist and thus can not really grasp what he is dealing with - only autists can do this like e.g. Temple Grandin

Is Asperger's syndrome the next stage of human evolution?: Tony Attwood | Australian Story

Temple Grandin: "The Autistic Brain"

Autism: An evolutionary perspective, Professor Simon Baron-Cohen, 1st Symposium of EPSIG, 2016

2nd - so called autism -the worms in the false can- with nearly identical expression of behavior and actions like 'real' autism that's based on a number of circumstances like vaccine damages, ingredients of processed food etc.

being an HFA myself, it took me decades to figure out what's really going on in regards of multidimensionality versus linearity and the way remembrances of former (or even parallel!) incarnations, buried deep in the subconsciousness, influence our behavior - in regards of diapers it is the curiosity and special function of this body type - a modification of a common body type used in habitats bound to multiple sun systems or inside habitats as planets are hollow where light is available all the time and bodies are powered directly by light like plants- with the necessity to eat for energy production with waste products which are unknown for only plants or fruits are consumed -but not for reasons of energy production but as a delight like you eat ice-cream or chocolate- as a delight but back transformed into energy without any remaining waste. thus it is a funny experience what happens with these bodies and as nothing of a body is seen as bad or wrong the logical result is not to care about this function too much -what spells 'accidents'- or deal with it in the most comfy way -what means to use diapers on purpose to avoid too much distraction from other things our mind is occupied permanently.

this also explains why real autists are never ashamed of diapers or have an intention to get rid of it ... 😉

Reactions: Elhon and Deleted member 39193
runduerun said:
I am autistic. When I am overstimulated I wet myself and sometimes don’t even notice :( I wear a diaper when I go out. Sometimes I use it on purpose when I’m out because usually when I go to use a public restroom, I get somoverstimulated from the noises (people, toilets flushing, hand dryers) that I end up having an accident before I get in the bathroom stall and closed, clothes and diaper down and seated… so not all, but some autistic people use a diaper because of over stimulation
This is common, true of me and a lot of people I know. A guy at my school would always wet during biology labs because he liked them so much causing him to be overstimulated and wet. I am the same way. He was out in our special needs class after he wet himself and I remember his mom being like "It just happens sometimes" she had no idea what autism was and was told her son was "Just a bloody retard" by some jackass despite the fact he could just do calculus and insanely advanced math. with ease but he pissed his pants so he stupid. You kidding me? Is this a joke? Am I on punked?

Reactions: Miki and Deleted member 39193
I have high functioning autism.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Elhon said:
This is common, true of me and a lot of people I know. A guy at my school would always wet during biology labs because he liked them so much causing him to be overstimulated and wet. I am the same way. He was out in our special needs class after he wet himself and I remember his mom being like "It just happens sometimes" she had no idea what autism was and was told her son was "Just a bloody retard" by some jackass despite the fact he could just do calculus and insanely advanced math. with ease but he pissed his pants so he stupid. You kidding me? Is this a joke? Am I on punked?
that's the narrow minded way of thinking of linear thinker who can't grasp multidimensionality - our way of thinking. they also will never grasp that everything is connected with everything for it is far above their abilities to process more than one thing at a time and on top their processing is a step by step process where they clearly forget the first step when they process the third or fourth step but this is exactly the reason why we are in many cases so busy and our mind is so occupied with complex stuff that banalities like to pee or to poo is out of our purview and set to automatic mode.

so what? of course some even prefer this state as it is a real advantage not to be distracted by such banalities but simply let it happen or use diapers on purpose as it is far less distraction than to use a toilet. no wonder when one becomes used to it and figures out when becoming incontinent by the time that diapers work best this way, it is even appreciated and incontinency is experienced as an advantage.

Last edited:
Back