Asparagus pee

Riddy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Little
So, I had asparagus for the first time the other night and had my first experience with asparagus pee. I’m kind of glad I didn’t use a diaper for it. Anyone else have that experience in regard to diapers?

Reactions: Edgewater
Definitely avoid asparagus when you're wearing diapers

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater, denimchicken and SofiaInPampers
One that both my wife and I have noticed makes your urine smell really bad is the over the counter medication Mucinex.

Oh yeah I've done it. I didn't really know what people were talking about asparagus pee until I used a diaper after eating asparagus. :sick:
Never again.
asparagus is pretty good but not with diapers.

Reactions: Edgewater and Riddy
For both of us we don't really have that issues !

Rita said:
For both of us we don't really have that issues !
I'm not 100% sure so this could be wrong (I think I've heard some people claim the opposite) but my impression is that asparagus does make everyone's pee smell, but some people can't smell it or aren't sensitive to the smell or something, so if you can't smell it you might actually need to be extra careful about it.

For people who can smell it it's extremely strong/unpleasant and also easy to recognize as asparagus pee, and your pee can smell from something like 1 to 12 hours after you eat asparagus, so it's pretty inconvenient if you're wearing a diaper.

Last edited:
Yes, it's quite the annoyance, since I'm quite the fan of both asparagus and diapers.

Coffee pee is another annoyance, although at least it doesn't smell so bad, but the scent is tough to mask.

Riddy said:
asparagus
I love asparagus ate 1lb last night.. If your Daddy likes pickled eggs, asparagus is nothing compared to that!

lilSorcerer said:
Coffee pee is another annoyance, although at least it doesn't smell so bad, but the scent is tough to mask.
I guess at least it just kind of smells like coffee so people wouldn't necessarily associate the smell with pee?

Asparagus can sure make one's diapers a bit whiffy! I mostly eat asparagus with dinner, in which case I can expect it to be out of my system before my next diaper. (I usually wear diapers only during my workday.) That said, I've had pickled asparagus earlier in the day before, either as part of an adult beverage or just for a snack, and ended up with an eye-watering diaper change. Ick!

Some people aren't affected by asparagus that way though. I believe it's a genetic thing.

Last edited:
I am one of those folks that seems not to be affected by asparagus.
Now, to be fully transparent, I only eat asparagus from farms near our cabin, which sits near Lake Michigan shoreline in sandy soil.
Even the apples in this area have a lighter, fresher flavor, likely due to the sandy soil conditions.
Just a guess!

After looking into this, it seems based on https://academic.oup.com/chemse/article/36/1/9/442551 that you can be unable to smell it in your own urine either 1) because your body doesn't produce it OR 2) because it's there and you are simply unable to smell it.

Unfortunately, I guess the only way to be sure (which would be kind of gross) would be to see if you can smell it in urine produced after eating asparagus from someone else who can smell the asparagus scent in their own urine. Or, I guess, just sort of see if anyone seems to notice it after you've been eating asparagus.

If you're not sure it might be safer to assume it's because you just can't smell it and avoid eating asparagus.

Last edited:
Bnuuy said:
After looking into this, it seems based on https://academic.oup.com/chemse/article/36/1/9/442551 that you can be unable to smell it in your own urine either 1) because your body doesn't produce it OR 2) because it's there and you are simply unable to smell it.

Unfortunately, I guess the only way to be sure (which would be kind of gross) would be to see if you can smell it in urine produced after eating asparagus from someone else who can smell the asparagus scent in their own urine. Or, I guess, just sort of see if anyone seems to notice it after you've been eating asparagus.

If you're not sure it might be safer to assume it's because you just can't smell it and avoid eating asparagus.
Well, you could go an expensive route and test your urine for the chemicals that produce the smell.
Not a reasonable approach, but not impossible.

Such a huge Red Flag 🚩
Complete give away right?

I mean there can be no other innocent explanation for the smell.

Love asparagus but avoid it like the plague in social situations.

Have been caught out when its been an ingredient consumed unawares, changed immediately 😱

There is said to have been a London Club which had the following rule on its books:
"No Member shall urinate in the umbrella stand during the asparagus season." Probably apocryphal but I like it anyway.

Last edited:
I didn't know about asparagus, but I( recently found out that eating roast beetroot can result in a pinkish tone to the wee. Only lasted for a day, so I am pretty sure it was the beetroot that did it.

Back