Are you ever surprised by just how disgusted people can be at the idea of adult diapers?

TungstenWrist

Longing for something so far out of reach.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Diaperfur
Honestly I wonder why some people seem to prefer just about anything else over diapers, potentially even to their own detriment?
My mother sometimes talks with my siblings or I about jobs, and occasionally brings up underwater welding. Underwater welding pays very well, but the equipment you work with is very expensive and expensive to get in and out of the water, so the welder must spend the entire duration of their shift or whatever without resurfacing. So this means - for anyone without superhuman bladder capacity - that they must wear diapers, and apparently that is enough to deter a lot of folks. My mother expresses a visceral disgust and indignation in a way that suggests she sees that disgust as normal, or potentially even universal.
Does anyone else notice how intensely some people react to the idea of diapers? I find it unfair to people who end up needing diapers, honestly. Maybe the ways people are toilet trained and how their kid selves responded to it affect how uncomfortable with diapers they are as adults, but I don't think that necessarily justifies all of what that might mean for those who need diapers for medical reasons(which becomes more likely as you age) and people who ended up taking a liking to diapers for no apparent reason other than a strange twist of fate.

Reactions: Dandelion, Happy2BeInNappies2, Jk95 and 4 others
I think that after your first words and your first steps, the important thing that your parents expect from you is to get potty-trained. It is engraved deeply in our mind.
So yes, I understand why most people have a very strong reactions about an adult wearing diapers : it is totally against the social rules.

(And underwater welding looks like a fantastic job also. I don't think you can get bored by it :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: Dandelion, Happy2BeInNappies2 and lilbabyjooce
I think it's that to be potty-trained is a sign of independence and when you have to wear diapers it's a sign of dependence.

Reactions: Dandelion and Happy2BeInNappies2
I've always been disgusted by public bathrooms.

They smell like 50+ people's sweat and pee/poop.

The floor is sticky, and half the people don't even wash their hands.

I'd much rather wear a comfy soft, thick diaper and avoid such places.

Not to mention, I've always hated having to hold it when I have to "GO".

It feels so unnatural, and uncomfortable.

Diapers give me comfort, and freedom.

Reactions: mackenz, Dandelion, DPLuvAB and 9 others
diapeybabybrian said:

Yes. Don't tell us diapers are un-hygienic, there is far worse out there :D

Reactions: Dandelion, Jk95 and Deleted member 57387
The Smithsonian had a space diaper exhibit I saw years ago showing how spacesuit sanitation technology had improved over the decades for the astronauts. 🙂

• Wow
Reactions: Dandelion, Happy2BeInNappies2, longallsboy and 2 others
GatoChihuahua said:
The Smithsonian had a space diaper exhibit I saw years ago showing how spacesuit sanitation technology had improved over the decades for the astronauts. 🙂
Remembers me a famous scene from "The right stuff" !

Reactions: Dandelion
No matter how bad it may be in the States and Canada, it is worse in the UK. Nappies get such a disproportionate stigma over here... I mean, they were a basic necessity for all of us when we were young.

Lori.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dandelion, Freddie07601 and CookieMonstah
TungstenWrist said:
Honestly I wonder why some people seem to prefer just about anything else over diapers, potentially even to their own detriment?
My mother sometimes talks with my siblings or I about jobs, and occasionally brings up underwater welding. Underwater welding pays very well, but the equipment you work with is very expensive and expensive to get in and out of the water, so the welder must spend the entire duration of their shift or whatever without resurfacing. So this means - for anyone without superhuman bladder capacity - that they must wear diapers, and apparently that is enough to deter a lot of folks. My mother expresses a visceral disgust and indignation in a way that suggests she sees that disgust as normal, or potentially even universal.
Does anyone else notice how intensely some people react to the idea of diapers? I find it unfair to people who end up needing diapers, honestly. Maybe the ways people are toilet trained and how their kid selves responded to it affect how uncomfortable with diapers they are as adults, but I don't think that necessarily justifies all of what that might mean for those who need diapers for medical reasons(which becomes more likely as you age) and people who ended up taking a liking to diapers for no apparent reason other than a strange twist of fate.
Underwater welding is super dangerous my ex is a welder and says hed make a ton but would never want to do it I don't blame him

Reactions: Dandelion and lilbabyjooce
diapeybabybrian said:

Hmph. I wonder how many people, who maybe aren't even incontinent or aren't ABDL, secretly wear diapers because they think public bathrooms are dirty?? I think this would a common thing amongst people who have OCD about "dirty things" like public bathrooms. Both my parents have OCD about these things, my dad a lot more other things; to him, a lot of things are dirty. I am not quite as OCD, my OCD is more towards collecting things rather than "dirty things" or checking things. But by that standard, almost ALL Autistic people would have OCD as that is one of the most common symptoms of Autism - getting very deep into things, collecting them, and usually in a narrow circumscribed interest range. Like I like vintage children's clothing like long-alls and jon jons and also T strap shoes. Or how I like maps and I have quite a collection of that, too. And I have Classic Autism and ADHD.

Also : what if you were in a university taking a final test. I've met professors that say they will take your test (and basically your final is over) if you go to the bathroom during a final exam. But what if you really needed to go? Would a diaper save you in that aspect?? I don't wear diapers, so I can't tell you what I'd do.

- longallsboy

• Love
Reactions: Dandelion and lilbabyjooce
It's always very silly to me how people view them. I mean, yeah, I can see how it might be a bit weird for the average person, but seeing them as the worst thing ever like some people seem to. Oh, right, they're "only for babies". Or incontinent people. Or, you know, astronauts, that profession most people generally find cool and seem to conveniently forget involves wearing diapers. I didn't know about underwater welding, but not surprised to learn that there are other professions that also require wearing diapers.

There are so many things that cause actual risk to people and are generally accepted, smoking, alcohol, etc. I don't mind if people do these things, people are free to make their own choices and the last thing I'd do is try to stigmatize other peoples' interests. I'm just saying that, these can actually kill people, but if I do something that, at the worst, might give me a diaper rash or result in a bit of pee trickling down my leg, and has zero risk to anyone else, it doesn't make a whole lot of senses to me that diapers are what people find to be the worst option.

I tend to pin a lot of the blame for this on how often a lot of potty training methods involve basically shaming kids into thinking that diapers are just the absolute worst thing, only for babies, and something they should want to get rid of as soon as possible. And so they get potty trained, and also gain an unreasonable prejudice against diapers and learn to look down on anyone who wears them. Bedwetting becomes something kids feel like they have to hide even from their friends, full incontinence gets it even worse, actual difficult professions that require wearing diapers because regular bathrooms breaks just aren't always feasible in every situation get looked down on even. Not to mention ABDLs who "don't even have a good reason." And I'm probably forgetting a few scenarios where people end up wearing diapers well past potty training age. So many people get mocked because parents can't find a way to teach their kids a skill without putting an unfair stigma around a specific object.

Personally I feel like diapers use should even be normalized among the general population for situations when using a toilet isn't a great option even when not quite as extreme as being underwater or in space. Long road trips, movies ("oops, I drank too much soda and now I need to leave for several minutes and come back confused about what's going on, if only a solution to this problem existed"), plane rides, etc. I don't think most people outside this site are ready for this conversation though, lol.

diapeybabybrian said:

Yes! I despise public bathrooms. They're pretty much an absolute last resort for me and as I get less paranoid about wearing diapers, I really hope to just cut them out of my life fully. I genuinely cannot fathom how people look at public bathrooms, then look at the diaper alternative, and then decide "yes, diapers are the disgusting option in this scenario."

Last edited:
Reactions: Dandelion, perlFerret and lilbabyjooce
And they probably won't be ready for that conversation for atleast another 50 years as one ABDL once predicted.

being an ABDL in the 2020's is like being gay in nazi germany.

TungstenWrist said:
I work for some really cool people and have known them for years so we can talk about pretty much anything. They also know that I'm incontinent. Well one day after work myself and Mrs boss were sitting at their kitchen bar and having a cup of coffee and just shooting the shit and her son who is about 30 came walking in and in a teasing sort of way asked him about this girl he had brought home the other day, i had nick named her Mary Magdiline because she was absolutely certain that i was Jesus or maybe Paul the apostle. I told her no that i'm just Pat. She said no that she new i was from heaven. I just smiled at her and said bless you my child and went back to work, i knew at that moment that she was on some kind of drugs. Anyway we were sitting there having coffee and he just kind of laughed when his mother looked at him and said that he has this tendency to go after"twat bots" and that last week he had brought home two girls and that one of them was wearing , and made a strange face and said DIAPERS. I responded, sounds kinky, then she said even louder no Diapers. And was really wierded out. I said maybe the poor girl has issues. She said no that they were hanging way below her mini skirt, she was obviously weirded out and kind of appalled by it. Well funny how karma works, because now she has to wear pull ups.

• Haha
Reactions: longallsboy
Daniel2013 said:
being an ABDL in the 2020's is like being gay in nazi germany.
I have to disagree there. That's a bit too extreme of a thought.

Reactions: sbmccue, perlFerret, abdilly and 3 others
Believe it or not in the US Army while deployed to Iraq I didn't receive much stigma, but tons of flak from fellow soldiers. During convoy ops I was that one soldier that didn't ever seem to have to go during our time outside the wire. People wanted to know my secret until I showed them my stash of diapers. Then the jokes rolled in. Our platoon's sniper actually borrowed from me from time to time and actually said that diapers were a practical idea and did defend me which caused others in my platoon to slowly stop teasing me. However my platoon nickname of "Baby" stuck.

Reactions: Happy2BeInNappies2 and LePew
I think for many people the idea of soiling or wetting your underwear sounds like the worst thing possible. I think that wetting your underwear is pretty awful it gets cold and clammy pretty quickly whereas in a nappy it’s wicked away quite quickly and stays warm for a lot longer. As for messing I know loads of people don’t like doing that regardless of being ABDL or not but doing it in your pants I kept worrying it was going too fall out the leg holes (I wear boxers so they are quite loose around the legs) but I’m a diaper I don’t need to worry about that. Baby Blair (a YouTuber) says that things like sexual fluids, saliva and blood freak her out and she’s worried about the hygiene issues but wee and poop doesn’t affect her in the same way. When I started wearing diapers I never planned to poop in them now it’s an act I sort of look forward to. Maybe that seems disgusting but the release and feeling empty is good and it helps create the illusion that I’m a helpless little baby. I think people build it up in their head to be this big thing but when they actually do it they go find it’s not so bad. If you are thinking about messing your diaper but are unsure if you’d like it because of the connotations all I can say it try it and see I did and I’ve never looked back. One more thing if you are going to mess in public change immediately it is not fair to submit other people to the smell of your poo.

• Love
Reactions: lilbabyjooce
I know someone that had a prostate cancer. It was a quite aggressive one and he had the choice to remove the prostate or die approx 2 years after.
Of course surgery was choosen but he lost his continence and has to wear diapers 24/7.
After 2 years, when he finally had the sentence that he would be incontinent forever, he started depression and claims now that he would have prefered to die than to wear diapers for the rest of his life. For him, diapers are the worst thing ever...

• Wow
Reactions: LinkDL
TabaCrate said:
I know someone that had a prostate cancer. It was a quite aggressive one and he had the choice to remove the prostate or die approx 2 years after.
Of course surgery was choosen but he lost his continence and has to wear diapers 24/7.
After 2 years, when he finally had the sentence that he would be incontinent forever, he started depression and claims now that he would have prefered to die than to wear diapers for the rest of his life. For him, diapers are the worst thing ever...
I understand for some people who are incontinent us wearing nappies if we don’t need to may seem insensitive. Obviously I feel sorry for people who are incontinent I myself have a disability so I know what it’s like to want to do stuff but your body won’t let you. But this doesn’t mean I’m going to stop wearing nappies because for me it is something that keeps me emotionally stable going without for a while turns me into someone I don’t like. I hope this person comes to terms with his situation.

Back