Anyone else with Severe IBS choose to eat and drink things you enjoy even knowing what will happen šŸ¤£

Raven801

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I find that quite frequently I'll enjoy things that set it off knowing that I'm probably going to have an accident... But I suppose that's what diapers are for I'm IC and I'm starting to realize I can eat and drink things I haven't been able to enjoy for several years... Like coffee and coca-cola... Fried chicken and all.. used to get grossed out over messing ... But I guess I'm kind of getting over it because I'd rather enjoy foods and end out needing shower lol

Raven801 said:
I find that quite frequently I'll enjoy things that set it off knowing that I'm probably going to have an accident... But I suppose that's what diapers are for I'm IC and I'm starting to realize I can eat and drink things I haven't been able to enjoy for several years... Like coffee and coca-cola... Fried chicken and all.. used to get grossed out over messing ... But I guess I'm kind of getting over it because I'd rather enjoy foods and end out needing shower lol
I'm actually sitting here drinking coffee playing a computer game with my nephews right now. 2 cups of coffee down and I can feel it setting things in motion .. I put on some rubber pants over my diaper and I DON'T care what happens

While I wouldn't say I have IBS or IC in any way, there are things that seem to get my lower end upset that might give me almost no warning and I still eat/drink them anyway.

I'm almost always home and diapered, so no problem getting cleaned up.

Raven801 said:
I'm struggling with F-IC related especially to coffee (I love black coffee). And I have to avoid anything oily, like fast food fries, fried chicken etc. IBS can apparently be linked to diabetes due to nerve damage, which is what my U-IC has been attributed to.

To answer your post, YES. When I know that I am staying home, I've had coffee knowing that the toilet is not too far away. But I had to give that up recently realizing that getting down the stairs fast enough for the toilet was a problem (I had an accident). One major problem for me is the lack of energy from no coffee (or tea). I'm like a sloth without it. So I am presently experimenting with taking one caffeine pill in the morning, which seems to help.

When I go out to attend sporting events, I now wear a plastic-backed diaper and plastic pants just in case of F-IC. After all, if that happens, I want it fully contained without ruining my clothes and be able to sit in it to drive home. So far, I've managed my diet to avoid an accident. But I fear that eventually, it is inevitable.

I see that I need to cut some more foods out: Foods to Avoid

Foods to avoid​

Many people with IBS experience symptoms when they eat certain types of vegetables called cruciferous vegetables. Examples include:
  • broccoli
  • Brussels sprouts
  • cabbage
  • cauliflower
Legumes, such as beans, may also trigger symptoms of IBS, though this isnā€™t true for everyone. You may need to keep a food diary to track which foods trigger your symptoms.
I don't love any of these, though I do like Dixie Cole Slaw. But I've eaten all of these thinking that they're supposed to be good for me (my wife likes them).

Reactions: Raven801
Raven801 said:
One of the things diapers do is enable you to live something of a "normal" life in spite of incontinence. So if you're OK with the results, then knock yourself out.

I have IBD, different medical problem, same effect. I still avoid messing at all costs. For me accidents aren't a trade I'm willing to make with some foods. But with #1 related problems, I don't care about that at all. I'm not going to live in a constant state of dehydration just so that I can stay in a conference call for an hour or run out to pick a few things up.

Reactions: uknappygirl and Raven801
Raven801 said:

I ocaisionaly suffer from IBS flare ups and was bad as a teen. A friend of mine has severe IBS too and i know she definately does this. She doesnt know about this side of me yet but her partner knows.

We joke about it all the time asking "It was worth it though" šŸ¤£ and the answer is always yes!

Last edited:
1660010747479.pngI was missing coffee so much today that I took a chance and had some coffee in the afternoon! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now at night time, I think I can conclude that I mostly got away with it, yea! I did have a loose stool on the toilet but I'm hoping that was the end of today's indulgence.

The only think I've found that definitely impacts my IBS is caffeine. And I've cut it out completely. I occasionally miss it, but I really don't think it's worth it. I've never been a caffeine fiend though, and so it's not a huge sacrifice to give it up. One of my friends is gluten intolerant and still has pizza and beer sometimes. I'm not convinced it's worth it - he suffers for 2-3 days everytime he does it, and I don't think I could do that. I don't think it's worth making my social life and work suffer for the sake of some food.

I have either IBS or a mild food allergy (doesn't make much difference because the doctor just says "don't eat that stuff"), while it's sometimes not predictable, I usually go ahead and eat it anyhow provided I can get to a bathroom timely (or wear a diaper).

Minih said:
... One of my friends is gluten intolerant and still has pizza and beer sometimes. I'm not convinced it's worth it - he suffers for 2-3 days everytime he does it, and I don't think I could do that. I don't think it's worth making my social life and work suffer for the sake of some food.
Sometimes people just want to "live a little". As a diabetic there is already so much I can't have, and add some IBS there's even more! So I understand that the tradeoff can sometimes be worth it. But maybe not if it results in public humiliation.

Reactions: ltaluv
I do sometimes and just pay the price.

Reactions: puravidadip and PaddedShooterBooty27
I wouldn't say I have severe IBS. It's pretty disturbing but there are worse stuff in life. However sometimes I go "fuck low fodmap diet" and 10 minutes later regret instantly šŸ˜‚ BTW: it's not following a strict diet but finding the triggering food and reduce or eliminate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sport1
littly said:
y šŸ˜‚ BTW: it's not following a strict diet but finding the triggering food and reduce or eliminate it.
Yep, my doc said it could be.a food allergy or some IBS trigger but the strategy was the same. Keep records of what I eat and see if I can correlate something that causes it. Actually, I never got that detailed. There are certain things that I know likely will contain whatever it is and consume those with reservation.

Reactions: sport1
Oh man, for me it's not IBS, but gallbladder issues (I'm pretty sure- runs in my family, still need to talk to the doc). For a long time I thought I was just lactose intolerant because milk and cheese are both one of those things that messes with my gut, but eggs (with runny yolks, hard boiled is fine for some reason??) and mayo always trigger it without fail. Coffee too, I've noticed, but I typically avoid that bc of my ADHD anyways. But yeah, painful cramps and an almost immediate strong urge, to the point where I've had some very close calls in the past.

But to answer the post, I never considered it, but I sure as hell am now! Ooohh, maybe I can have egg salad or cheesy scrambled eggs again! Haven't had scrambled eggs in years šŸ˜‹

MarvinYeets said:
Oh man, for me it's not IBS, but gallbladder issues (I'm pretty sure- runs in my family, still need to talk to the doc). For a long time I thought I was just lactose intolerant because milk and cheese are both one of those things that messes with my gut, but eggs (with runny yolks, hard boiled is fine for some reason??) and mayo always trigger it without fail. Coffee too, I've noticed, but I typically avoid that bc of my ADHD anyways. But yeah, painful cramps and an almost immediate strong urge, to the point where I've had some very close calls in the past.

But to answer the post, I never considered it, but I sure as hell am now! Ooohh, maybe I can have egg salad or cheesy scrambled eggs again! Haven't had scrambled eggs in years šŸ˜‹
Same over here, lactose is very triggering to me but I keep eating it BECAUSE I CAN'T SURVIVE WITHOUT IT. 2 minutes later I instantaniously regret. I consume tea every once in a while and it's not bad for my gut. Meat and fried food also terrible for my gut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MarvinYeets
I've suffered from IBS-D my entire life. To answer the question, several decades ago, yes I did this. I've never cared for caffeinated drinks, but occasionally I used to eat fried food and had flare ups from it every time. I don't do this anymore. Nevertheless, I still have IBS flare ups from unknown triggers.

My IBS flares are pretty bad and come with a lot of pain. An intense flare can leave me on the toilet for several hours with waves of painful gut contractions, shaking intensely, and emptying everything, including the lining of my large intestine. I don't ever want to purposely do that to myself. It sucks big time.

I also have bowel frequency and urgency apart from IBS flares. Because of my family history of colon cancer and IBS, I take psyllium fiber on a daily basis. This increases the amount and frequency of my bowel movements and regularly leads to messes in my diaper, but there is no pain and my bm's are less mushy. Sorry for the graphic detail. I am so used to messing myself and cleaning it up that over the years it is very normal for me. That being said, I don't ever want to knowingly eat something that will give me an intense IBS episode.

I don't have a severe IBS, but am lactose intolerant and also onions and apples have become a real trigger lately.
I do occasionally eat food with this, onions often, because it tastes so good and it's hard to find food containing no milk if not making it myself.
The consequences comes shortly after.

OnePiece said:
I don't have a severe IBS, but am lactose intolerant and also onions and apples have become a real trigger lately.
I do occasionally eat food with this, onions often, because it tastes so good and it's hard to find food containing no milk if not making it myself.
The consequences comes shortly after.
I also am lactose intolerant but I eat apples regularly (2-3 a day) and I'm okay. Onions I don't know.

willnotwill said:
Yep, my doc said it could be.a food allergy or some IBS trigger but the strategy was the same. Keep records of what I eat and see if I can correlate something that causes it. Actually, I never got that detailed. There are certain things that I know likely will contain whatever it is and consume those with reservation.
Thats what I do to help control it.

littly said:
I also am lactose intolerant but I eat apples regularly (2-3 a day) and I'm okay. Onions I don't know.
The lactose intolerance and other food intolerances are not connected. But everything took a huge leap in the wrong direction last year,
when I had several antibiotic cures in order to survive. Before that I could eat some ice cream and get away with pain and make it to the WC.
Now ice cream eating must be carefully planned.

Reactions: sport1 and Deleted member 63976
Back