Anyone else like flat coca-cola?

JonahAteAWhale

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I love Coca-Cola when it goes flat. Also when it is warm. I like it bubbly and cold too though, but I guess I wanted to poll: Coke: can you drink it flat, warm, or only bubbly, cold?

I used to like Pepsi too but now it's just full of sweeteners with no sugar, bloody health fascists :(

Reactions: TrashPanda01
I prefer a room temperature 'cold' drink.
Fizziness can vary quite a bit; don't know if it's still true, but 'the real thing', and the fake, also used to be distributed as a concentrate which would be diluted with fizzy water on site, which accounts for variance of fizz, but also of strength of flavour.

ade said:
I prefer a room temperature 'cold' drink.
Fizziness can vary quite a bit; don't know if it's still true, but 'the real thing', and the fake, also used to be distributed as a concentrate which would be diluted with fizzy water on site, which accounts for variance of fizz, but also of strength of flavour.
Interesting thanks for this information :)

I’m not a fan of any soda when its fizz is gone. The more carbonation the better for me, but I’ve been trying to cut down on the amount of pop that I drink since the carbonation isn’t supposed to be healthy for your bones and the sugar isn’t helpful for my pre diabetes. Anyone remember charged water and those seltzer dispensers from the fifties and sixties? Wasn’t charged water just carbonated water or was it something else? Those charged water dispensers used to be part of many comedy routines back in those days and I think my folks may even have had one, but I don’t remember anyone ever getting sprayed with it like they often did on TV.

I can't stand a flat sodapop.

I don't mind drinking it at room temperature, I don't mind drinking it cold, but I draw the line at drinking it flat.

Flat doesn't agree with my taste buds.

Drinking sodapop at room temperature (at least to me) is the equivalant of drinking a beer at room temperature.

From what I've been told, by various sources, that's the preferred way of drinking beer in many European countries.

The way I prefer a cold sodapop is fresh out of the icebox and drank straight from the can or bottle.

Or sometimes served in a glass, but with no ice.

Sure, ice gets it cold, but also waters it down, and I can't stand a watered-down sodapop.

Also, no one (at least that I know of) puts ice in a glass of beer... Do they...? 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: JonahAteAWhale
Zeke said:
I’m not a fan of any soda when its fizz is gone. The more carbonation the better for me, but I’ve been trying to cut down on the amount of pop that I drink since the carbonation isn’t supposed to be healthy for your bones and the sugar isn’t helpful for my pre diabetes. Anyone remember charged water and those seltzer dispensers from the fifties and sixties? Wasn’t charged water just carbonated water or was it something else? Those charged water dispensers used to be part of many comedy routines back in those days and I think my folks may even have had one, but I don’t remember anyone ever getting sprayed with it like they often did on TV.
Yes, soda bottles with a pump spray you mean? I've been in a hotel not long ago and served with one of those. They're super cool!

Sidewinder said:
I can't stand a flat sodapop.

I don't mind drinking it at room temperature, I don't mind drinking it cold, but I draw the line at drinking it flat.

Flat doesn't agree with my taste buds.

Drinking sodapop at room temperature (at least to me) is the equivalant of drinking a beer at room temperature.

From what I've been told, by various sources, that's the preferred way of drinking beer in many European countries.

The way I prefer a cold sodapop is fresh out of the icebox and drank straight from the can or bottle.

Or sometimes served in a glass, but with no ice.

Sure, ice gets it cold, but also waters it down, and I can't stand a watered-down sodapop.

Also, no one (at least that I know of) puts ice in a glass of beer... Do they...? 🤔
Oh I love pop with ice!!! Watered down ice pop is actually my favourite pop, why? This is the pop you get at McDonalds, the Cinema, Bowling, the Arcade, the Fun Fair, even pubs and restaurants, all the best places (sometimes, even the swimming pool!)

JonahAteAWhale said:
Oh I love pop with ice!!! Watered down ice pop is actually my favourite pop, why? This is the pop you get at McDonalds, the Cinema, Bowling, the Arcade, the Fun Fair, even pubs and restaurants, all the best places (sometimes, even the swimming pool!)
There was this one Chinese food buffet restaurant in my hometown that my Grandfather and I went to a few times and When the waitress asked my Grandfather and I what we'd like for drinks I would request a glass of Coca Cola without ice.

Requests like that do get taken into account.

Which reminds me of an amusing anecdode of one particular time my Grandfather and I were at a restaurant together, I placed my drink order as being and I quote: "One glass of Coke, hold the ice."

And my Grandfather, having the sense of humour that he had said to me: "If she holds the ice, her hands will be frozen."

To which I replied: "Hold the ice, means a drink without ice."

Last edited:
Reactions: TrashPanda01, geka and JonahAteAWhale
Sidewinder said:
There was this one Chinese food buffet restaurant in my hometown that my Grandfather and I went to a few times and When the waitress asked my Grandfather and I what we'd like for drinks I would request a glass of Coca Cola without ice.

Requests like that do get taken into account.
Yes, if you do not want ice, you do not have to have ice! You can also have extra burgers, extra cheese, no gherkins, all sorts of things at American establishments. At French and Italian restaurants you cannot change the food but they would still respect no ice. I do not often eat Chinese, but yeah I expect they would respect no ice, everyone does. Can you change the food at a Chinese restaurant? I wouldn't want to try.

Last edited:
I can't really imagine enjoying Coke at room temperature and without the fizz...
But I've heard that some people swear by it as a great cleaning agent and a good toilet cleaner/limescale remover lol, perhaps I should give that a try at some point.
Sidewinder said:
Oh my! Definitely not (here) in Germany.

I Prefer my coco cola cold with ice and I find Bourbon adds a nice touch too!!

Reactions: Sidewinder
I have a metric ton from alcohol- water but never room in the freezer , I got this today instead of going to corner store and getting ice . I prefer my coke cold and actually have a “Diet Coke suicide” 3 shots of lemon 1 shot of cherry . I have about 40 cases of coke/ Pepsi all varieties , seltzer, tea/ coffee . On hand ,expecting price hikes at the start of pandemic I layed in stuff cheap . So a 12 pack today is like $8.79 I paid less than that for cases .
IMG_2988.jpeg

Nope, I can't do flat soda of any kind. I'm actually quite the opposite, I like a Coke so strong it takes your breath away like they used to have at soda counters in drug stores and department stores. The only drug store I know of that still has a soda/lunch counter is Longs pharmacy on Kingston Pike in Knoxville Tennessee and they may not anymore as I have not been to Knoxville in years.

Back